Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

180 "Exhale" Ski Gloves -- brilliant idea or cheap gimmick??

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a man who gets extremely cold hands/fingers when skiing, so I'm quite tempted by these 180 Exhale gloves:

http://www.180s.com/gloves.html

The gloves have a vent hidden under a flap on the top of the glove, which you blow into to keep your hands warm and toasty.

I just wondered if anyone out there has tried them, and whether they actually make a difference Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Website is annoying.
Won't blowing into the gloves make them damp(ish), and therefore your mitts cold
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonflat2, looks a fairly pricey gimmick. I'd have thought that the idea is to avoid getting the hands cold in the first place, by getting a decently warm, breathable pair, perhaps with some liners.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jonflat2, Decathlon (Quechua) sell the same idea at a far lower price. Hasn't been cold enough for anyone I know who has them to report back though.

http://www.quechua.com/EN/Product_arborescence/mountain/ski-snowboard/ski-clothing/w-ski-gloves/product_8015553/index.html

Doesn't seem like a totally daft idea.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
website won't load on my dial up French connection. But I agree with kermit, blowing wet air into a glove doesn't sound too clever. The best thing we have found is (apart from good gloves in the first place, mittens being warmest) is the little tea bag like things which warm chemically when taken out of their airtight containers. They'll cost you a few pounds a pair in a UK ski shop, 2 euros in a French ski shop, or considerably less if bought in packs of 5 pairs in Decathlon. They last a good few hours and are very simple to use. Easily kept in the pocket of a ski jacket, too. So far, of course, it has been a famously warm winter! But we used them during the cold snap on 26th January, and much to my surprise I found I could put the foot version into my ski boots and not feel them. Great success.

However, if you want to blow into your gloves you can do so without buying special ones; just blow down in front of your palms through the same hole you put your hands into!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The decathlon version is actually the cheapest glove they do. It has a kind of guaze think on the "blow hole" that apparently traps the moisture before it gets into the glove. My mate used them last year and quite liked them. I just bought the next glove up in the range and never had cold hands...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to ski in Norway, which gets rather cold (unlike the rest of Europe wink ) so cold hands are a definitely a problem.

The comments about damp air seem valid ones - although, would it be any worse than sweaty palms??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get some decent gloves in the first place. I've finally replaced my Quiksilvers with a pair of Dakine Element gloves. They are extremely comfortable and warm, and even warmer when you wear the inner glove as well (which can be worn on its own). Excellent value.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
180s is a local company we're quite proud of (the other being Underarmour).

The damp exhalation air is actually much better than sweaty palms because the damp is already in vapour form and thus is very quickly transported through the shell membrane. (The moisture trap is just there to trap random droplets and the like) Palm sweat needs to become vapour (cooling off the hands thereby) before it can be transported.

The enormous advantage is that one can get warm air down to the fingertips almost instantly, not true of conventional gloves.

I wear one of their vests, next best thing to down.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okanagan junior has a pair of the Decathlon version of these - although he wears them to school rahter than for skiing, so I'm not sure he's ever got cold enough to really need to use the warm air feature in anger. He likes it is a gimmick though and enjoyed showing it off to his friends.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PS. These are NOT a good idea for smokers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex wrote:
I wear one of their vests, next best thing to down.

Does that have a special 'breathe in here' vent?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, Very Happy Yes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okanagan, I have to confess the gadget-freak in me quite likes the idea of the 180 gloves.

comprex, I'm just wondering how good the rest of the glove is ... no point in having fancy-gadgety vents, if the waterproofing/insulation is poor. Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jonflat2, well, the breath -is- the insulation. Have no experience of the gloves as they're too long in the finger for me. The 2004-vintage vest still works after about 20? days of wear and doesn't stink from inside.
latest report
Do 180s do "exhale" long johns to go with the vest?
ski holidays
petemillis, Very Happy I'm sure I'm innocent of ever having seen anything like that. Little Angel
snow report
My 180's were great until on one particularly freezing lift ride I decided to use the "exhale" facility. Blew into the gloves, and yes they heated up slightly for about 5-10 minutes. But it made little difference and I brought my glove liners with me next day, which helped far more. However, a major unpleasant side-effect is that the moisture from my breath (I don't smoke, don't have bad breath!) has made the gloves smelly. Throughout the day whenever I take off the gloves I get a nasty whiff and really don't want to eb putting my hands back in there. I am now looking for a new pair of gloves....
snow conditions
Why not combine the gloves with an Avalung? Then you'll be able to exhale through the Avalung all the time, have toaster hands and also be safe if you get avalanched.

I'm off to the patent office now...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy