Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Indoor snow slopes and energy use

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
People are worried about global warming caused by the fact that the energy consumption of the world's population is so high. And global warming may one day to the end of skiing as we know it.

But have you considered the amount of energy used to keep an indoor snow slope frozen? Have you felt all the heat that comes out of the back of your home freezer? Do any of the indoor snow slopes make use of wind turbines or solar energy and so on? How can one justify the existence of an indoor snow slope that contributes so much to carbon emissions and global warming?

Discuss......
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's pretty crazy. Mind-you, skiing outdoors isn't energy-cheap either.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think we have to accept that all snowsport activities are harmful to the environment in some way, whether it be keeping a snow slope frozen or conveying hundreds thousands of people to and up the mountains. Not to mention the impact of the increased use of snow cannon.

So far as indoor snow slopes are concerned, these can only make the situation worse, unless people use them instead of travelling to the mountains, which I doubt very much.

So what's the future of skiing for us in the UK? Dry slopes - like skiing on sticky ice - only enjoyable if you're a technique freak Madeye-Smiley ? Grass skiing - whatever happened to that?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, I know skiing outdoors isn't energy cheap - especially with them pesky airplanes that most of us go on!
But here's a though - keeping an indoor snowslope cold is done using heat exchangers (like a freezer) to remove heat. Perhaps every community should have it's own indoor snow slope, and the heat produced could be used to provide the houses with heating.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skiing outdoors is energy cheap if you skin/hike up for your turns.

Leelau's pics are great examples of ski touring ...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=539788&highlight=#539788

... and a description from pistehors.
http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Ski-Touring
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
petemillis, no, I haven't.

How hot is the back of your computer though? Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB, dunno, I'd require a bloody big fry-up before attempting any of that! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The world is heating up regardless of human activity. It has been that way since the last Ice Age melted roughly 15k years ago. We can delay global warming by a few years, but we cannot stop it.

Therefore, it makes sense to ignore the greenfreaks. Make hay while the sun shines. Ski indoors or outdoors whenever you want. Fly as often as you like.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, I think you may have a point there.

I also think that us flying and skiing in a big fridge is a drop in the ocean when China is opening a new coal powered power staion every day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I believe that the Tamworth Snowdome uses the waste heat from the refrigeration plant to heat the indoor swimming pool adjacent to it in the Tamworth Sportscentre Building - makes sense! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the Dubai one is a bit of a luxury though, can not think what the heat residue is being used for?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
okay but forget our little island, what about others who buy over their allowance, from not so wealthy places, just so they can pollute more !

is that not worse, and should more not be done to stop that ?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy