Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it only me that carrys on carving?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The background first....

Just back from a great week in Les Arcs where I had three private lessons.

I am still very much learning my skiing and during the lessons this week, I really started to enjoy our carving drills on blue slopes. They went something along the lines of face down the slopes, skis level and a little further apart than normal, push knees out to left and allow the shape of the skis to turn me to the left in a nice big arc. I then take a quick look back to see nice tram lines (not actually part of the drill but I can't resist) then allow skis to go flat and return to a downhill direction before repeating but with knees to the right.

Last year when I tried this, I kept catching edges and clashing skis and falling over but this year it has really clicked and I took every opportunity I had on the blues to practice my big wide carving turns - fantastic feeling and really enjoyable.

Now the slightly scary bit......

I have been home for two days and have now worked out that when moving from my lounge, I can start an imaginary (imaginary in that I do the turn but just in my slippers rather than on skis) carving turn to the left and carve all the way out of the lounge door and into the hall after which, a quick carve to the right takes me into the kitchen, a quick carve back to the left takes me through the kitchen and if I was to open the French windows before I start, continuing the left carve would take me through our breakfast room (Mrs Bungle's posh term for the extension) and onto the patio.

Has anyone else been similarly affected following their first beautiful carving experience or should I seek the medical attention that Mrs Bungle recommends?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you need serious medical attention immediatly.

Do you get different 'Carves' with different slippers/shoes/socks. do you find the stiffer footware carves better Puzzled

What do you do down the stairs. imagine moguls Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You don't need help. Just had my slippers serviced and find it's made all the difference. Can now make the turn from lounge into conservatory without the tails breaking away. Bungle, I think what we'd all like to see is a vid of you home carving on YouTube. Please.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing I was in a big queue in the bank today and there I was bobbing up and down , driving the knee in and down. Got some right funny looks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, less banking, more angulation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bungle, So it does really work? You push and these neat little carving skis really will carve you a turn around the mountain? AWESOME..... I wonder if I'll get there this year - I can't wait.

Hey - you're from Chelmsford - I close to Maldon - we're not far from each other - if you ever need coffee PM me
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, Laughing Laughing At last a skiing joke I understand
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward, I've not tried different gear but do find it easier to get my inside knee pushed out in my slippers than in my ski boots... not tried the stairs yet... Shocked

Bode Swiller, know where you are coming from - occasionally too much speed through the kitchen leaves me sliding to get through the French windows. Not sure I am ready to go public with a video though just yet - certainly not before my carving slippers patent application gets approved - this could be bigger than Heeleys.. Very Happy

Frosty the Snowman, I knew I could rely on you wink

Megamum, yes it does - only on blue slopes and wide turns so far for me but I can see the progression. Mrs Bungle says I have too much coffee already Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, Laughing Laughing

Megamum, yes they work, but note what Bungle says about "big arc". This means that the skis have to be given time to do their stuff in these sort of "railroad" turns that Bungle describes. That means you have to overcome any emotional desire to "force" (ie quicken) the turn. That means maybe overcoming a certain "factor" wink or better choosing a slope where it doesn't operate.

Carving tighter shorter turns requires certain skills and effort which must be developed and practiced, but it's good to start getting the feeling Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yoda, understood wink I wonder if the kiddies slope is ever left unused............
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bungle, you're lucky that it is carving technique that affects you. My problem is that I practise telemarking away from the slopes (usually in the supermarket and sometimes my wife joins in) and that does get us some strange looks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
(a)Paper Plate
(b)Broom Handle

Insert (b) through (a) making device (c)

Insert (c) between legs, plate behind buttocks, bring handle up to nose.

Climb Stairs.

Fall off for added realism.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bungle, My slippers are old and worn, I find the tails wash out too easily, maybe spyderjon could give em a tune up? Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy