Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is your favorite all time resort? and why?

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I have been to a few different countries but never further than Europe. My favorite so far is a little know resort called Gourette in the Pyrenees.
Purely for the best snow i have ever seen (2yrs running) and the village we stayed in (Eaux bonnes) was eerily beautiful.
Not much on apres but some really fond memories. snowHead

Want to try something different in March and personal recommendation is always better than brochure spiel/spin.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In a good year, I'd rank Portes Du Soleil as my favourite ski area, basing myself in Morzine. If only the resorts were 500m higher...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't have a single fave... but I do have a top 5 or a top 10. I reckon it'll get either very samey or very whacky if you restrict people to just one. I mean, to be frank, it sounds like you lucked-out 2 years running. We're in a more "normal" season right now - forget the major part of the last decade. So, having spent a few snowless weeks in the Pyrenees in my life, I can tell you that there's not much to do apart from eat cheese. Anyway, in no definite order... St Anton, St Anton, St Anton, Alta, Cairngorm. See, I said it would get whacky.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier is pretty cool. Yet to return.
Soll is fun, will be going again this season
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flaine has to be the prettiest
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Serre Chevalier for me, probably because it's not purpose built.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some people knoe this -le Bettex, part of the St. Gervaix - Megeve complex.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serre Chevalier! 300 days of sun per year and a stunning valley.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fernie BC, Great skiing, quiet, friendly poeple, great food, good beer, fabulous accomodation, awesome powder.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sorry to be boring but Courchevel 1650 for me - like to small town atmosphere but not to small - easy links into 3v - great views of Courchevel main area from Belair - great home run from Belair after a beer there - like all the runs in 3v lots of it and testing enough for my level of skiing. Having said that did like St Anton last year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anywhere I can ski with snow but a small village in the Tarentaise valley is my favourite snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Rosiere - Its got a nice feel about it, the pistes are nice and quite, and we have had some fabulous family holidays there. That said I am not sure we shall return next year as there are too many places to discover, and not enough time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
debbi, I'm with Bode Swiller, - anywhere with snow ! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Banff, probably. Great town, beautiful surroundings, pretty good skiing, pleasant people, quiet slopes.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gosh. I go to wherever is most suitable for what I want to do, with the people/instructors/guides I want to ski with. But the places I have fondest memories of are, in no particular order, Zermatt, Saas Fee, St Anton, Val D'Isere, and, though not as posh as the others, Les Deux Alpes. I have skied at Andermatt for one day only. Liked the town very much, and the off-piste looked to have great potential. So given more time to find out, that might go on my list. Oh. And I don't suppose you could call it a resort, but the Rotondo Hut brings back happy memories, too.
snow report
If I had to chose one resort for the rest of my life, it would be Zermatt. Very Happy
snow conditions
It seems that I might be allowed two:
Soldeu - feels like a "real" town and skiing fun but not demanding, very pretty in the valley between Soldeu and Pas. Booze cheapish Smile
Gressoney la Trinite - again a nice "real" village with friendly natives - and the best on-slope paninis and hot chocolate.
ski holidays
As a total package, Zermatt is the best station on the planet. It ticks almost all the boxes, both day and night, on- and off-piste. Only downside is the lift system, which is rubbish.

From purely a skiing perspective, Chamonix tops the list. Almost endless steeps. Low height and a disjointed lift system let it down, though.
snow report
Tignes Les Brevieres - probably the nicest of the villages in the Tignes area, excellent lift connections, excellent snow, excellent everything.
Mayrhofen - beautiful, and for a place that's supposed to be full of English, there were surprisingly few English when I went

and for guaranteed snow at Christmas (and before) then Saariselka, right at the top of Finish Lapland. Man, that place is beautiful. There aren't a huge number of runs (a couple of blacks, 3 red, 4 blue and 3 green) but the snow between the runs is fantastic too. And there's a super 1.2km toboggan run. And there's great food and drink and lovely people.
snow report
If I am allowed two choices then for me it is:

1. the Three Valleys because I like the easy access (from Mottaret) to a huge ski area, the reliable snow record, the different characters of the areas, the variety in the skiing and the opportunity to cover some serious mileage and huge verticals if you are in the mood.

2. Chamonix because of the unique situation below Mont Blanc, the amazing scenery, the variety and scope of the skiing and the whole atmosphere and feel of the place.

I am sure I would choose Zermatt too but I have not actually been there (yet)!
snow conditions
I have been fortunate to have been to quite a number of ski areas, with some fantastic resorts. Yet my favorite is always the place with the best snow. That said, my wife and I are booking a week away mid March but will leave our destination options open until the week before, but I would be delighted to go to Saalbach on the back of fresh snow.
snow report
Very Happy Cheers guys ! Very Happy
Snow is always a good factor for booking - so like Ken Lingwood, i will be keeping my options open till last minute but its always nice to have recommendations in case there is bumper snow and i have a choice !!
ski holidays
I'd add another vote to Zermatt.....although I'm not sure I could live without my Wengen fix wink
ski holidays
Too difficult.
snow conditions
Zermatt for the slopes and the general 'good behaviour' and respect for each other on those slopes plus the pretty village. However, it's let down by the lift system where you always seem to be witing for a cable car (although the tiny car over to Stockhorn is sweet, almost like a scale model).

Overall though I'm a fan of Alpe d'Huez. Plenty of variety, easy to get around the system as the town is in the middle of everything and lots of sunshine.

But .... plenty of research is still needed at frequent intervals just to make sure Laughing

Jon
snow report
Whistler - snow, atmosphere, terrain, fresh-tracks breakfast, lively apres-ski, just fantastic all round..
snow report
Alta.
snow conditions
If I had to go for one it would be Serre Che, on many objective grounds there may be better resorts but it just sort of feels right. I love it but not to the exclusion of all else. There are very few resorts which I would choose to avoid.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems to be a lot of Serre Che fans on this thread, and I am going to add my name to the lisy, for much the same reasons as T-bar, that is, it just feels right.
snow report
If I could have another choice, it would be Gressoney la Trinite, for the Italian ambience & uncrowded slopes.
snow conditions
All i know is I am minded not to go back to Verbier I like that the least, only up side was the pub Mont Fort and as good a chalet as I have found.
ski holidays
Whilst I enjoyed Zermatt, St Anton & Wengen, I would probably chose Davos. It has a big skiing area. You can get to it by train and most importantly they look after you very well indeed. It is no accident that the World Economic Forum is held there.

France is let down by poor hotel options.

If I had to pick a North American resort it would be Whistler as the best all-rounder. Alta is incomplete. It is not a destination resort. Salt Lake City gives more scope but too many downsides to be a contender.
snow report
I like Saalbach, our group is heading back ther in early March. The slopes are good, the food is good and the apres is insane.
Lake Louise is a gorgeous setting. The slopes are virtually empty, thr scenery is stunning and the hospitality is wonderful - not much going on during the eveneing though
snow report
Les Contamines, because I'll be there on Saturday!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
pitchski, you lucky thing !
Latchigo, i went to Davos 2years ago in march, but unfortunately only got one day on the slopes . From what i saw it was very good.
Did you do the roller coaster thingy in Leinzerheide ? Excellent fun ..
Also Had THE MOST EXPENSIVE chinese meal whilst in Davos - but i dont think i will ever have one as good ! i would go back just for that chinese Shock
snow conditions
debbi, if you like posh chinese the Hunan (?spelling) in Chelsea is fantastic. Don't look at the menu, and just ask for the tasting menu, and the wine list. They'll ask you what you like, then bring the most amazing tiny Dim Sun type dishes to your table. It was eye wateringly expensive though.
latest report
debbi wrote:
Latchigo, i went to Davos 2years ago in march, but unfortunately only got one day on the slopes . From what i saw it was very good.
Did you do the roller coaster thingy in Leinzerheide ? Excellent fun ..
Also Had THE MOST EXPENSIVE chinese meal whilst in Davos - but i dont think i will ever have one as good ! i would go back just for that chinese Shock

No, I have never been to Lenzerheide. I did go to St Moritz from Davos by train for the day. The snow was better in Davos though than on the slopes of Corviglia.
ski holidays
Mt Baker. On both (very brief) occasions I've been there conditions have been spectacular & its in many ways the total antithesis of euro mega resorts. Ski in, ski out ? Only if you've a good bivvy bag or a ca mper shell on your truck.
ski holidays
Not that many votes for the other side of the pond i've noticed, do our european resorts have the edge on the yanks/canadians wink
or is it just because of journey time, being able to drive etc... because i dont think its a price issue.

Kramer, think i might give that a try ! thanks for the tip ....
mmmmmm i'm starving now ... best put the dinner on !
snow conditions
Some US resorts definitely rank in the top quartile. Aspen and Whistler are up there. But Aspen lacks the chocbox beauty of, say, Zermatt, while Whistler rains too much down low.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy