Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

obertauern?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
anyone ever ski obertauern (austria)?

I am an expert skier, love to ski off-piste, looking for deeper powder... (have avy knowledge and equipment) would obertauern be a good fit?
If not, other suggestions for the salzburg region?

thanks,

asland
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
asland,
Not an expert so may not be able to help but The area is on a pass and gets higher than average snowfalls but also wind. Within the lift area there is a relatively small vertical that is according to the instructor I took last year fairly free from avalanches. For more interesting skiing though you are probably better descending outwith the area when a decent level of navigation skills or local knowledge would be necessary together with transport to get back to the resort.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
asland, welcome to snowHead

Obertauen probably won't fit your bill. iirc, about 120km of piste total, most of it blues and reds, with only one black section. Don;t recall a lot of off-piste, but then again, it's been quite some time since I was there.

Nice place don't get me wrong, high for Austria, so pretty snow sure - which does mean other TOs bus people in form less fortunate resorts - and arranged on both sides of the valley so there are two 'circuits' clockwise and counterclockwise, but each easily skied by intermmediates in a day or less.

Others more knowledgable about the region will be along shortly to advise I am sure, but if you are coming across the pond as an expert looking for powder probably not your best starting point.

One does have to ask - why not go to Colorado (or even Alaska) if its powder you are after?! Neither are much further than Europe from Boston!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimW wrote:
asland
One does have to ask - why not go to Colorado (or even Alaska) if its powder you are after?! Neither are much further than Europe from Boston!

It's funny that you ask. We actually go to Alaska quite often (including backcountry skiing in the winter) and love it. I also just got back from a quick 4 days skiing at alta in utah. We're not loaded or anything just have gotten lucky getting free tickets from the airlines.javascript:emoticon('wink')

My wife lived in Austria for 5 years though and wants to get back. We went last year to St. Anton and Bad Gastein and are heading back to Bad gastein this year. We actually had great powder skiing last year in both areas and because most europeans stay on the piste the powder was great for days after the storm. We also love skiing in Europe because of the culture, ski huts...

I am just a little worried about the lack of snow, even at sportgastein, so am looking for higher snow regions to take a day trip to if we need it.

thanks,

asland
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obertauern is great. The vertical is not large for a European resort so many people here pass it by. There is some great off piste especially if you know where to look. And nobody really skiis it. I personally tracked out this big face there last year. I took about 20 runs down it and at the end of the day I could see every one of my tracks. I was just there yesterday but it was a clusterfuck with school vacations so I didnt ski. I skied in Bad Gastein last week and they have a good base but need more snow. If you have been to St. A then you really wont find better terrain in austria although this year has left it pretty dry and shitty. There is a great option near gastein which I cant reveal lest the hordes decend. Find a good map and you can figure it out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
j wrote:
Obertauern is great. The vertical is not large for a European resort so many people here pass it by. There is some great off piste especially if you know where to look. And nobody really skiis it. I personally tracked out this big face there last year. I took about 20 runs down it and at the end of the day I could see every one of my tracks. I was just there yesterday but it was a clusterfuck with school vacations so I didnt ski. I skied in Bad Gastein last week and they have a good base but need more snow. If you have been to St. A then you really wont find better terrain in austria although this year has left it pretty dry and shitty. There is a great option near gastein which I cant reveal lest the hordes decend. Find a good map and you can figure it out.

hey J,

thanks for the current info. I'd love to know more about this face you skied at obertauern and what was good at badgastein. You've also piqued my interest in this secret gem that you speak of. Send me a pm. Your secret will be safe with me.Madeye-Smiley

asland
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive been to Obertauern a few times.. there is plenty of offpiste, its fairly easy to find.. not very long runs but you can pick a lot of them from the chairlifts.. its easy to see your exit points back to the piste as well.. as mentioned most people who go there are looking for some cruising and some apres so it can be days before the best stuff is tracked out.. i have also put the first 4 out of 5 tracks down one off piste bit..
2 decent black runs in the whole resort and a speed run with a radar gun on it as well ..
the place is super effcient, hardly any q's great lifts, some with heated seats.. uber clean and friendly..
if your an expert you wont be taxed and the runs are too short for most good skiers..
its a better place for groups of mixed ability where there is a bit of somethign for everyone
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like CANV CANVINGTON, I've been to Obertauern a few times, including early January this year. Whilst other places were struggling for snow we had good conditions in Obertauern, personally I don't think its a resort where you need to worry about snow cover but I do echo all of the points that CANV CANVINGTON, has made above. snowHead Enjoy Obertauern.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,
I'm also considering going to Obertauern in late March so hope no-one minds if I tag on to this thread.
Has anyone used the shuttle transfer from Salzburg that's advertised on their web-site ?
How often does it run ? e.g if I get to Salzburg at 10 am does it wait for other later flights to fill up the bus ?
If I get a late flight back is there a reasonably late bus to the airport to allow some skiing on departure day.
How easy is to get to other resorts on the Lungo pass ? e.g. Katchsberg/Mauterndorf etc
Thanks

Hamish
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy