Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Britonlift' information wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everybody

I have come into possesion of a machine called the "Britonlift portable ski tow". We had some good snow up here last Feb/March and this would have eliminated the bad bit, walking back up! I would love to get it set up and going but it has no manual or setup diagram. If anyone has had good/bad experiances with this or has a manual please help! I would love to hear from you.

Thanks - Karl
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Karl60North, no idea mate, but welcome to snowHeads!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Our club used to have one - but we sold it a few years ago after only getting to use it about once in 10 years. I'll ask around and see if anyone can remember the details.

Or you could try contacting the people who made it?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 3-02-07 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another one for sale here if anyone wants one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the welcome! have spoken to Christopher at snowflex as they produced it in the past, he was kind enough to find me an original sales brochure which I just received this arbo. It does have an illustration on it but no setup guide. Snow forecast for this week coming so we want to get it fired up!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Karl60North, Welcome to snowheads, some photos posted here would be really interesting if you get a chance
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would love to see it in action..so please post pics when its up and running wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Karl60North, Welcome to snowheads. Which hill are you planning to ski down?

Photo below of Shetland last March for those interested:

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Sage

Last year we had 3 different 'resorts'!, if you are familiar with Shetland, we had to find hills that are not too steep or have board/ski tearing rocks. The Knab 9 hole golf course is popular every year as its in town, a farmers field in Scalloway and the main run was at Gremista in town. We did have the loan of a Honda ATV for a short while which after we got a track flattened worked quite well. I'll see if I can find some of our pics. I did try Ronas Hill at 1500ft but it is just way too rocky unless its significant snowfall, plus I think the Britonlift may protest!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi

Can someone tell me how I can post or link pics to this page, the FAQS are not helpful. Also how can I edit my profile? I can't see a link to it anywhere.

Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Karl60North, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
See if this is any more help http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1319&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

and this is about pics

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5391
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Karl60North, I've relatives that stay in Sumburgh and I am up there every other year (in the summer). Look forward to seeing your pics once you get them uploaded.

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Karl60North, this is a guide to putting pics in posts. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=513099#513099 Linked thumbnails are preferred rather than the full size pics.

Your profile is in the User Facilities drop down menu, bottom left of the mountain at the top of the page.

Oh - and welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okanagan, my local dryslope might be interested in the Briton lift, do you have any details or photos??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Boredsurfin and Cathy, thank you so much, Cathy thanks for your step by step guide! that was very helpful. This thumbnail with the sea in the background is of 'The Knab' 9 hole golf course in town, we were in T-shirts for a while! seriously it was 'that warm' (probably had more to do with walking back up for hours) In the other pic we had the fortune of the trike (which we rolled twice due to..ahem.. slight overloading by 300%) I'm planning to setup the Britonlift in either. At the mo its just white outside and nothing more!

latest report
Karl60North -- Great pics.

According to the Shetlands Tourist Agency, it snows on average for 70 days per year up there. That equates to roughly 38% of the 6 coldest months, from Nov to Apr.

That ratio feels high to me. Or do you get more snow in the Shetlands than we realize?
ski holidays
skimottaret, we don't have ours any more as we sold it a couple of years ago. I just happened to spot that other one for sale when I was digging around to see if I could find any details. I'm sure that there are some photos around somewhere dating back to when we were able to use it last though. When the other half gets home next week (he's out in the Dolomites with junior, I'm stuck at home working, pending the imminent arrival of junior #2) I'll get him to have a look for them.

There's a company in Canada still making what I'm pretty sure is a version of the BritonLift (see here) which will give you a vague idea what it's like - but basically it's a little petrol engine at the top, staked down, a small retunr wheel staked down at the bottom and a rope in between which givea about 100m length. There are metal handle/grip things which the skier hooks over the rope and then hangs on to (or I guess you could just hold the rope.
snow report
Okanagan, thanks for that i will pass on the info snowHead
ski holidays
Karl60North, Fantastic pictures - hopefully you will get some snow this week. Very Happy

snowHead
latest report
Karl60North, Brilliant pics Toofy Grin
In a way good to see that even Shetlander's can't cope with a bit of snow on the roads Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
Karl, you shall have to post some photos and a report on Winterhighland at www.winterhighland.info . Maybe the shetland tourist office would like to sponsor a fact finding mission to scotland's newest ski resort NehNeh
ski holidays
Hi - I also have Britonlift portable - Britonlift no longer manufacture this lift but still have a few parts available if required. I have a few pics of it set up - but i,m off in France at the moment _ so can't post. The typing is the result of using a French keyboard......
latest report
Well, the figures of 70 days of snow sounds a bit crazy, maybe minus the zero! Actually we do have a lot of days snow falls but the problem is when it hits the ground it quickly turns into some sort of horrible clear liquid. In the good old days we used to have good snow from December and on but now it seems to come later. The sad fact is our sport is suffering from Global warming and as it only needs a couple of degrees to ruin it. Saying that though right at this mo it is snowing good style!
I am missing some parts from my Britonlift, I am missing the Britonhooks? I know its some sort of device that grips the rope, then you hold onto it, but can someone describe it maybe Puzzled
snow report
ropetow, Hi would be great to see that when you get the chance, have a great time! Very Happy
snow conditions
the hook is like an L shape with two prongs stuck to the bottom bit of the L but like this

I
I
I
I
I
I
+--O----O--

The rope wraps around in a S shape
snow report
daehwons, Cheers ok so the S shaping jams the rope from sliding, any idea of the spacing of the prongs, or even better the dimensions from actual or distant memory Puzzled
ski holidays
Crap pic done quickly in paint

the handle was L shaped and roughly the same length for bothe sides of the L
Each side was just big enough for your hand so about 4-5 inch
The prongs on the bottom were about an inch long.
The prongs also had a curved filed out bit for the rope to 'sit in'
snow report
forgot spacing of prongs was about an 1 and a half to 2 inch
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Karl60North, the people in Canada I linked to earlier might still be able to supply the hooks if you get stuck with them.
ski holidays
daehwons, Okanagan, Thanks peeps that's great, I'll probably just make my own ones and get them powder coated, maybe even improve by introducing the SE model! daehwons, your pic is great, I understand it perfectly!
snow report
Pretty sure that at some time in the past I've seen instructions re how to make a DIY version these handles, from back in the days when we could use our club tow and there weren't enough to go round so people would make and bring their own. Not impossible that someone might still have the instructions - will put a request in our next newsletter if you like (PM me your contact details so they can get in touch direct if you're interested) .
snow report
I thought of all kinds of improvements that could be made from the one that I have used in the past.

My 'GTI' model that I had in mind had 3 prongs, one was affixed to the handle bit that was hinged to fold in half. you place the rope between the two prongs and then hinge out the handle bit to its L shape and the third prong completes the rope clamping. I was thinking stainless steel for mine wink

This is another way to go
check out http://www.meanylodge.com/index.php?nut
ski holidays
Okanagan, that would be great thanks, but how do I send a private message? I can't find that in the FAQS. daehwons, interesting design, def have to stainless as anything made of steel up here rusts instantly, I'm just considering the least 'stabby' design in case of the taking of a header on the way down Toofy Grin
snow report
Karl60North, there's a link at the top of the page (under the birthday candles) - or use this one
latest report
Quote:

am missing some parts from my Britonlift, I am missing the Britonhooks? I know its some sort of device that grips the rope, then you hold onto it, but can someone describe it maybe

All you need to do is get a piece of good quality marine ply, shape it to about 7inches long and cut a slot in its edge, slightly deeper and wider than the diameter of the rope. Make sure the edges are not too sharp so that they don't cut the rope.

The clip is applied underneath the rope and then your weight on it provides the grip.

Make a belt from webbing (car seat belts are ideal), and include a quick release buckle. Old Austin 1100 seat belt clips were ideal for this!

The belt should fit comfortably around your waist and will take most of the load off your arms. For additional safety attach your 'clip' to the belt using line with a low breaking point .

Use very old gloves and to ensure that you are moving as you clip on.

Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
Peter S, Looks good, though any Austin 1100's here have been absorbed into the earth long ago! The seatbelt webbing idea sounds quite comfortable. There is actually some sort of seat belt harness with the lift I have although something to attach it onto the line seems to be missing. I'll see what I can conjour up.
daehwons meanylodge link is incredibly comprehensive!
latest report
Here are all the parts you should have Karl

1 x Top tripod with safety cutoff rope attachment
1 x bottom A frame with pulley block
3 x Ground stakes
1 x Drum of endless rope
1 x Engine with Reduction Gearbox and rope pulley
1 x Side tensioner pulley
1 x Special hammer with spike for knocking in/withdrawing ground stakes
1 x Cutoff broomhandle for lifting engine frame
15 x Britonhooks
1 x Gray canvas bag to hold the parts
ski holidays
Hi , yep everything except any britonhooks at all and the spiked hammer. The 2 small pulleys (you can see one in front of the hammer) and 2 rods perhaps 2 feet long, do you know where these go and what function they provide?
ski holidays
If the pulleys you have are black mounted on an aluminium plate with a hole in it - I suspect you have two downhaul rope tensioners pulleys. They fit on top of the aluminium rod which is bashed into the ground at 45 degrees on the downhaul. It stops the downhaul rope dragging on the ground and provides some tension to the whole system - esp if your run is less than the 110m of rope....... You just move the tensioners out at 90 degrees to the tow to take up any slack.
latest report
When I last spoke to Briton Engineering Developments they said they had a few spares for the portable tow - including Britonhooks. From their Jan 2003 price list they were £7.30 each for 0-19 of them falling to £4.76 if you bought 100 or more.....

BTW the 8hp version cost £2204.82 in 2003 and came with 2 Britonhooks

I'd be interested in a copy of the brochure if thats possible.

Drawing below of how it should be set up.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy