Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski or board?

Poster: A snowHead
Hiy

What is better for total beginners 2 over 40's and 19 and 21 yr olds. Only trying a long weekend so not sure.

The ski school has offereed private lessons at 83 euros per hour but not sure what to choose and whether to do private or group.

Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks

Ruth
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
minicat,

For such a short period I would definately go for private rather than group. If at all possible I would also try and get a couple of lessons on dry or indooor slope before going so that your first lessons aren't how to put on skis and how to shuffle around before going home. It is nice to see a little of the mountain.

I'm a skier but I guess nowadays with discrimination legislation we have to acknowlede that people do have a freedom to board (So long as they aren't my kids Twisted Evil ).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which is easier? if any!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skis - two planks instead of one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boarding - with skiing you have twice 4 edges instead of 2 so it's twice as complicated.

But seriously - for people who have never been on the piste before, I would say skiing is the better option. Lifts will be much easier. You can stand there without having to worry about falling over forwards or backwards. You'll learn how edge control works and how the ski turns, which can then be translated later on to the board.

But I suppose - it's horses for courses. There are people who find boarding easier as they don't have the complication of two planks and a pair of poles to think about, and can just get on an do it. .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
minicat,
I believe falling over in boarding can be rather more painful as tipping over a front edge can give you a rather heavy slam. Also you probably need rather more protective gear boarding than skiing which for a weekend may make it less appealing. This is hearsay as I haven't boarded but some of my best friends have spoken to boarders wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Folks, ever get the feeling that we might have just done this in my ski psychology thread- minicat, you will find that there seems to be concensus towards a feeling that skis are easier, but we also have a few advocates that feel that boarding isn't as difficult as some skiers seem to think it is.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On balance, boarding is easier and quicker to learn than skiing.

Older people, whose physical skills have peaked, should take up boarding.

Younger people, who learn faster, can choose from either discipline.

Be aware, though, that younger boarders, particularly males, have an above-average accident rate. Bravado and inexperience are among the causes.

Some research indicates that private lessons may, in some cases, be up to 4 times more effective than group lessons. Bear this in mind when deciding for your weekend.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, Having seen the learning curve of new boarders I agree with you rather than Megamum. I am surprised that anyone would say different, having seen/heard this issue discussed many times. The number of degrees of freedom of movement and need for leg coordination is way higher at a beginner skier level. Skateboard and surfing skills also transfer well. The accident rate is definitely higher per snow-user day however.

minicat, I might be inclined to wait till you get out there. If the snow is soft and plentiful try boarding, as skiing in soft snow is not easy for beginners. If the snow is hard/icy or sparse, go for skiing. If the four of you can bear each other, definitely go for private lessons.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I both ski and board (as of this season). As total beginners and with only a weekend to play with, I'd say go for skiing. It took me three days of about two hours each time on the board before I could link turns and get down a slope. From what I see of complete beginners (quite a lot - I work with school groups) and what my instructor told me, this is quite fast progression thanks to the fact that I already ski and am used to the basic sensations of sliding down hills and using edges.

But if you do opt for boarding, invest in wrist guards.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
minicat, if you're good at skateboarding/surfing, then you'll have an advantage if you go for snowboarding.

stoatsbrother, Whitegold, when I look around the slopes, and see how many boarders have little or no technique, then I'm not sure I would agree that it is easier. I think it is easier to "fake" being good on a board, which is why so many youngsters then get into accidents.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, I think it's very true that most of the boarders you see around the pistes are intermediates rather than anything else. We noticed this last season in CVL after Mr Lizzard had a lesson and started using his edges rather than scraping turns all over the place.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother, It's not a question of agreeing with Whitegold, or me - as I have said before - I have never tried boarding so am not qualified to make a judgement either way - I was just reporting what appears to my personal opinion to be a concensus of previous threads, in particular my own ones.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
minicat, without repeating my whole post to megamums thread, the 45 version is that from seeing two of our kids swap from ski's to boards I feel boarding involves a greater proportion of your time spent eating snow. Borders appear to accept falling over as part of their daily routine whereas skiers seem to regard it as largely avoidable. Very Happy

That said I met two boarders at Christmas who were both in their mid 50's and had taken it up only the previous year! They seemed to thoroughly enjoy it, so hey, do whichever you fancy, and if it doesn't work out - switch! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, sorry - that came out wrong. I still think, as do most people I have skied with who do both, that boarding is faster to get to a decent intermediate level. I have tried boarding in old gear many years ago and it made a dodgy knee hurt so I had to stop, but I am going to give it another crack sometime with soft boots on a poor visibility powder day (ie when it hurts less and no one can see me...). It would be really great to be able to do both well.

Elizabeth B, I think this is more about the reason Vauxhall Novas often seem to be driven badly and erratically, it is about young male driver attitudes rather than the vehicle. I ski more in the US than Europe and I think I see more bad skiiers than boarders there. I think petemillis makes a good point about lifts, and unless minicat is in a poma/t-bar free zone, that might be a good deciding factor.
ski holidays
I wonder if from an 'image' perspective whether Minicat's two young men would prefer snowboarding - From what I've seen on holiday and on the TV I wonder if it would seem 'cooler' than skiing for that sort of age group
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, I assume then that boarders take their boards off on a chair lift and hold them?
ski holidays
Megamum, No - they just have 10 seconds of terror at the top, rather than several minutes of been dragged sideways scraping a track as they have various soft bits removed by the t bar. If one falls in front of you it can be fun trying to jump them. I don't always get enough clearance though. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum, Puzzled

Boarders leave their board on while on a chairlift....but at least you only have to worry about getting on and getting off. Drag lifts are painful on a board. You are at an unnatural angle and the bar goes between your legs rather than behind you. I'm told it's worse for blokes who get it wrong Shocked
latest report
Elizabeth B, Well stoatsbrother, had suggested that if the resort didn't have a Poma lift (whatever that is) or a T bar - which I understand, that boarding would be easier. So I assumed perhaps he meant a lift system of gondolas or chairs, the only reason I could think of it being easier would be if the boards were removed on the chair lifts. I hadn't considered the twist and male factors of a T bar.
ski holidays
A poma lift is like a T-bar, but instead of the T it has a button on the end, and only carries 1 person not 2.
snow report
Elizabeth B, Oh, that's the only sort I've ridden with skis - we call it a teller-lift (sp?) in Switzerland - I call it a button lift - I'll have to call it a poma lift now - I can manage that OK - the T at my resort looks harder and goes up a collasally high steep slope to somewhere I can't see - the ascent looks terrifying - back to my thread aren't we?
snow report
They're often known as button lifts, but Poma are the manufactuer of most (or all??) hence the name.
snow report
Elizabeth B, I used to find that confusing, because they make other types of lift as well.
ski holidays
laundryman, it's a bit like Hoover. They also make washing machines!!
snow conditions
Megamum, this is how boarders deal with chairlifts:

1. Take back foot out, stagger into position at the bottom.
2. Sit down. Hopefully don't then realise that you're on the wrong side and bound to get entangled with your lift-mates at the top, causing widespread anger and fist-waving.
3. Lift safety bar with trepidation. Wriggle about so that you cling to the seat with only one buttock.
4. Wait until the last minute, when the board will run as flat as possible. Push hard. Try to get back foot onto stomp pad while also leaning on front foot. Get confused.
5. Fall down.

My one attempt at a drag lift so far has involved falling off at the bottom and being manhandled back on by the lift op.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Laughing

That's pretty much my experience. I like it when it's quiet and I can get a chair to myself. Failing that, I always ensure that I am at one side of the chair not in the middle. I don't mind short drag lifts....I can do them, it's just after a while things start to ache.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, solution so far has been to go up with Mr Lizzard, who rides regular - I get to the right edge of the chair with him next to me so that he steers everyone else off to the left, leaving me in a heap on the floor. Unchivalrous but effective.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The last few posts look like an argument for beginners on a long weekend to start skiing, rather than boarding. Even fairly idiotic beginner skiers can get up a button lift on their first day but I still feel a sense of triumph getting to the top of even an easy button lift on my board, after several days spread over two years! The falling over factor is a major issue with many older people; they just don't like it. As a slowly improving boarder I can now quite often get off a chairlift without falling over, though I had an anxious ride up yesterday when, for some reason, three skiers suddenly leapt on the same chair as me, though there was no queue. I felt bound to warn them of the danger into which they had put themselves (I had overtaken them on the last bit of the run down, and I can only overtake rubbish skiers) but they just waved their arms and assured me there would be "pas de probleme". Just goes to show how little they knew. If you only have a long weekend, minicat, and unless you have a high pain threshold (or unless the group are already skateboarders or surfers) I would ski. Private lessons. Short skis (max chin height). Just look around you, on the slopes, at the average age of beginner boarders. It's around 13, in this resort, and dropping annually. I wear a helmet, goggles and neoprene face mask so nobody can tell I am 87.
snow report
Thanks I reckon skiiing would be better as My 19 yr old daughter has broken her scaphoid 9 times and I have broken my metatarsal twice in the last 2 yrs!!
I think we need gold insurance!
latest report
minicat, As mentioned above....do consider a couple of lessons in the UK before going....

Tamworth Snowdome do a brilliant one day course called "learn to ski in a day". You won't actually learn to ski but will stand a good chance of getting to a standard where you can get down a green run in control.

I did this years ago and after a few practice sessions at Tamworth afterwards I went to Sierra Nevada and skied blues with confidence.

While learning...do try to maintain a 'can do' attitude as confidence is half the battle in the early stages.
snow conditions
Quote:

Tamworth Snowdome do a brilliant one day course called "learn to ski in a day".

I did the "learn to snowboard in a day" course at MK, as a means of deciding whether I wanted to learn boarding or not. I decided I did. Very good course, though 8 hours of boarding for the first time ever left me so stiff I could hardly move for a week.

Quote:

The ski school has offereed private lessons at 83 euros per hour but not sure what to choose and whether to do private or group.

that's quite expensive - in our local ski school out of the major French holidays it's 52 euros for two hours for two people, and a few euros extra for third and fourth person. Which is excellent value. Where, and when, are you going minicat?

Quote:

My 19 yr old daughter has broken her scaphoid 9 times
Hmm. Might be better to ski, then.
ski holidays
hellfiresliding, My first experience of skiing was that course at Tamworth - Getting down the slope there at the end of the day gave me lots of confidence when I went to flaine for my first experience of real skiing - never looked back. Laughing
latest report
pam w, shows what a bargain some of our local places are: 50 CHF/hour (1.6CHF = 1 Euro) regardless of number of people. Group lessons are 22CHF/2 hours or 61 CHF for 3x2 hours.

As a long time boarder just returned to skiing. I would expect that on nice short skis, skiing would be easier to learn than boarding.
ski holidays
Quote:

As a long time boarder just returned to skiing. I would expect that on nice short skis, skiing would be easier to learn than boarding.

Yep, I think so too. Depends what you mean by "learn", of course. Fast learners (courageous AND well coordinated) can be boarding red runs competently by the end of a week whereas very few will ski red runs competently by the end of a week and some can't do it after many years. But most reasonably attentive and not hopelessly uncoordinated learners will be sliding around enjoying themselves on skis after a few days and hurting a lot less than if they spent the same time learning on a board. And enjoying themselves is what it's all about.
snow report
Oil and water mode

Go skiboarding - according to the Association Médecins de Montagne it is the safest snow sport too

http://sbmag.wordpress.com/2007/02/13/skiboarding-is-the-safest-snow-sport/

I anticipate the normal flaming on here, but start off on skiboards and depending on the speed you learn, progress up to ski's of course if you find you prefer skiboards then stick to them. I took an over 50 and an over 20 learner up last season both tried "classic" ski school and found it painfull and hard, when I put them on skiboards the learning curve was a lot quicker and less painfull. The skills you learn on skiboards are directly transferrable to ski's. One teaching method involves using a skiboard on one foot and a ski on the other, get to the bottom, head back up and swap feet.

As Pam says by the end of a week with snowboards you could be on reds. I ice and inline skate a lot, so I had a lot of the techniques as skating to skiboarding there is a lot of similarity (hockey stops for example), but after 2 hours with my instructor, I had gone from Blue to Red to Black runs and he said that was all he could teach me about carving..... it really depends on the student how quick the learning curve is.

As far as bindings are concerned, personally I would say dont use fix bindings over 84cm, get release bindings. (all of mine have release bindings)

Whatever happens I hope you have a good time on the slopes.
latest report
Random curveball here on my mums experience aged 60.
Has just retired to a snowy place (Poland) and nearby there's a hill - not too steep but good enough for a slide - just hard work as you have to walk back up.
Her brother persuaded her to have a go on it - firstly with skis and secondly with a board. I can't believe it but she's actually picked the boarding as being easier and preferable to the skiing.
I think its to do with having 1 piece of equipment rather than 4 and that at least your feet are fixed in position and can't go sliding in opposite directions!
Ok its not like a real resort with lifts, or difficult terrain - but I was incredibly impressed.
Latest update is that she can do a heel edge turn and is now starting to practice the toe edge!!!
ski holidays
mountain mad, no lift? boarding's good - wouldn't like to keep walking uphill in ski boots!
ski holidays
minicat wrote:
Hiy

What is better for total beginners 2 over 40's and 19 and 21 yr olds. Only trying a long weekend so not sure.

Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks

Ruth

83 euros per hour seems very very expensive, where are you going?

Expect to pay around 35-40 euros per hour in France..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy