Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Off Piste Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I skiied (sp!) weekly at a local dry slope from the age of 13-16 and over that time I travelled away three times to Italy, US and Canada on School Trips.

I let it slide and didnt go again but went to a local dry slope to try and get back into it and found I am pretty much where I was all those years ago (now aged 24).

I want to get away either late this season or sometime next season and was wondering about all this off piste malarky.

It really appeals to me but in essence how does it work? I dont have a large group of ski buddies so are there instructors/guides that will take you off piste bearing in mind I havent skied it before?

In terms of ability I would say I am intermediate at worst.

Thanks for any advice
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hip_spasm, first off I should say

'Owwwch!'
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hip_spasm, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

If you haven't skied off piste before, the best way to get into it is by skiing the "wrong" side of the piste markers. This gives you a feel for it without being miles away. If you decide to go for it, then it is possible to hire a guide...although it will cost a bit if you are on your own.

The other thing to look at is a holiday that includes guiding. www.skiclub.co.uk run some introduction to powder weeks. I'm sure other operators do too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B,
Perfect answer
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi hip_spasm

Another thought... so you started skiing 11 years ago and last skiied 8 years ago.

What shape were your skis?

Modern skis are much broader and have a much greater sidecut than old skis - I'm new enough to the sport that I don't recall when these really started to appear but I think it was only about 8 years ago...

I do know that
a) the technique you need to use has changed radically from straight skis
b) if you rent skis in a resort you'll get modern shaped ones
c) my dry slope uses pretty naff straightish skis so you may not have noticed

In which case you may want to consider learning a bit about the technique changes and maybe even a refresher course when you get there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lbt wrote:
I'm new enough to the sport that I don't recall when these really started to appear but I think it was only about 8 years ago...

Fat ski, Norway, 1850s

Carving ski, Norway, circa 1880:
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are plenty of firms that run beginner off-piste courses. Anything from a morning to all day for a week. Here is an example from Top Ski in Val: http://www.topskival.com/products/10.10/. 345 Euro's for 5 full days off-piste beginner instruction.

I am pretty sure most will stipulate that you have to be a competant on piste skier, so perhaps that is what you should concentrate on to begin with. If you are confident of your abilities, why not book a normal week and then book a morning beginner off-piste session towards the end of the holiday and see how you get on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy