Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

why do most europeans ski on the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Why is it that most europeans ski on the piste?

I was at obersdorf (germany), st anton (austria), and bad gastein (austria) last winter and witnessed an incredible sight. They had some of the best snow in the world and wide open bowls and 98% of the skiiers skiied on the groomers that were cut across the mountain. Why?

I know about avalanche danger (I ski with a beacon, shovel, probe, and know how to read the snow), listen closely to the avalanche reports and forecasts, and stay on marked ski routes. I was skiing off-piste in some of the best powder ever with very few others. Days after the storm there were many freshies to be found. Why? I don't get it?

asland
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In America you can generally ski anywhere within the boundaries of the ski area. In Europe you ski off-piste at your own risk, the areas are not usually patrolled and avalanche risk is much higher as the snow in these areas is not managed as well. Also, skiing off-piste is not covered by most insurances.

From personal experience skiing off-piste in the States is much easier because the snow is drier and doesn't stick to you like it does in Europe.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And many European akiers (think that they) are not capable of skiing off piste. Apart from skiing ability, they haven't the knowledge to read the snow, use an avalanche probe or beacon and so on, and can't be bothered to learn. No criticism (I'm in that group), that's the way it is.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 2-02-07 11:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, Don't beat yourself up too much, most American skiers fall into that category too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The General answer is. Most European are on a relaxing ski holiday, they just like to ski around on groomed slopes , stop for coffee,beer ,wine etc . There not into carrying RuckSaks with spades, beacons, munchbars etc.

There also not reading forums like this or others. Its just a way of life 1 or 2 weeks winter ski holiday 3-4 weeks summer holiday in the Med.

However, there are hardcore groups (hundreds) of Off-Piste/Touring skiers from Germany & Scandinavian Countrys.

Sking Off-Piste in Europe can be incredibly dangerous , there are numerous fatalities every year & this gets reported on European TV reguarly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
asland, because that's the best place to ski... in fact more Europeans should stick to the piste... off piste is rubbish... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why do most europeans ski on the piste?

- because it's easier and you're less likely to die.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why is it that most europeans ski on the piste? ..

because there is usually a bar at the bottom..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:
asland, because that's the best place to ski... in fact more Europeans should stick to the piste... off piste is rubbish... Twisted Evil

Wholeheartedly agree parlor. Verbier, in particular, is rubbish because of the lack of groomers... wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Oooh look at me, I'm a hardcore off piste skier, I don't ski on piste, piste skiing is for poor skiers. rolling eyes
I do wish folks would stop rubbishng piste skiing. A good piste will have all that most folks need with even a little off pste detour thrown in. Skiing is about what you as a skier get out of your holiday/ skiing, and not how many ticks you have in the boxes. If you are having a fantastic time then where is the problem.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman, CANV CANVINGTON, Laughing Laughing And there was me trying to be serious. Both incredibly valid points.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty,

reread the original post - dont think there is any evidence that he was rubbishing piste skiing

J
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster,
Quote:

was at obersdorf (germany), st anton (austria), and bad gastein (austria) last winter and witnessed an incredible sight. They had some of the best snow in the world and wide open bowls and 98% of the skiiers skiied on the groomers that were cut across the mountain. Why?

Quote:

asland, because that's the best place to ski... in fact more Europeans should stick to the piste... off piste is rubbish...

Quote:

Wholeheartedly agree parlor. Verbier, in particular, is rubbish because of the lack of groomers... wink

Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:
Frosty,

reread the original post - dont think there is any evidence that he was rubbishing piste skiing

J

Though with the exception of racing/training - piste skiing is generally dull IMO
snow report
I thought Euros skiied on piste because:
1. Stanton says that on-piste is better than anything the Brits have ever done.
2. Whitegold says that off-piste is the devil's playground.
3. Who wants powder when you can have hardpack?

snowHead
ski holidays
asland wrote:

I was at obersdorf (germany), st anton (austria), and bad gastein (austria) last winter and witnessed an incredible sight. They had some of the best snow in the world and wide open bowls and 98% of the skiiers skiied on the groomers that were cut across the mountain. Why?

By Europeans you seem to mean Germanic types. Why? for the same reason they will wait indefinitely at a red man on a crossing despite there being no traffic.

In France it is the opposite, as Jean-Louis Tuaillon, the piste director at Tignes put it "We could construct a berlin wall across a dangerous off-piste slope and people would climb over it just because it is there - its French nature".
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Off-piste is for losers.

wink
snow report
davidof, there may be something in that - but then why did they need a Berlin Wall and not just a few traffic lights? wink
snow conditions
Quote:

you're less likely to die

Sloppy writing! You are absolutely certain to die, whether you ski off-piste or not. Just not necessarily today.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
for the same reason they will wait indefinitely at a red man on a crossing despite there being no traffic.[/i].

There is a reason. You can be fined in Germany. Also if you corss the road in sight of Zebra crossing area you can be fined. After all thats what they provide these facilties for.
snow conditions
And after all, 'they' know best.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I thought Euros skiied on piste because:
1. Stanton says that on-piste is better than anything the Brits have ever done.
snowHead

??

STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:

Debatable. There is definitly way more accidents, injuries ON-PISTE in resorts than OFF-PISTE.
snow report
That sounds suspiciously like the arguments the insurance companies give for quoting lower prices to women!

Confused
latest report
stanton wrote:

Debatable. There is definitly way more accidents, injuries ON-PISTE in resorts than OFF-PISTE.

True, but I think the deaths off-piste are in the majority.

snowHead
snow report
stanton wrote:

Per skier-minute?
ski holidays
Surprised at your view on st anton - that not many people were off piste. Not my experience, seen plenty of powder frenzies in st anton and it generally gets tracked pretty quick. St anton is known for it's great off piste where as the other resorts you mention aren't to my knowledge. My only real north america experince is fernie 2 seasons ago. After 3 weeks of "pineapple express" induced rain and thaw the first powder day everything was tracked by lunch. I was in Zauchansee, Ski Amade, for a day last week, was 20cms of fresh and me & the wife seemed like the only ones giving off piste a go. Mind you there was hardly any base so it was a bit hit and miss but did find some very nice pictches of untracked. I do think the big repuation resorts may have the best off piste and snow records but if it gets tracked so quick it can make quiet family styled resorts a good place to head for fresh pow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Theres plenty of Cardiac fatalaties a season on the slopes in The Arlberg alone. I know of at least three Brits & I know theres been a few Germans recently.

These are not counted as Skier deaths just Natural but they are indirectly linked to over exersion .
The Typical, being the German who leaves the Frankfurt office on Friday afternoon drives 230Km/hr to the slopes non-stop,few beers, little sleep & goes out racing down the piste the followng morning & drops dead. Very Happy

He was going die soon anyway but the over exersion brings it on. Skullie
snow report
stanton wrote:
laundryman wrote:

I would imagine that that's only because there are way more people on piste than off. The biggest danger 'on piste' is the possibility of colliding with other skiers. The terrain itself is nowhere near as dangerous as off piste terrain.

Imagine if you had as many people off piste as on at any given time. There would be an endless line of helicopters transporting people to the local hospital!

Maybe skiing off piste is seen as less of a big deal to Americans because quite often the difference between areas is less dramatic than it is in Europe.
I skiied in Utah last year and on virtually every day that we skiied, the snow on the 'groomers' was so deep it felt like we were off piste anyway!
Under these circumstances, Crossing that line and venturing off piste would feel a lot less daunting than if you'd spent the last four days skiing on solid hardpack.
Just a theory (probably a load of bol**ocks) snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Actually I think most Europeans don't ski at all!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Oooh look at me, I'm a hardcore off piste skier, I don't ski on piste, piste skiing is for poor skiers. rolling eyes
I do wish folks would stop rubbishng piste skiing. A good piste will have all that most folks need with even a little off pste detour thrown in. Skiing is about what you as a skier get out of your holiday/ skiing, and not how many ticks you have in the boxes. If you are having a fantastic time then where is the problem.

I definetly was not trying to trash piste skiing. I have a lot of fun at that as well. It's just that when I ski in the US almost everyone is looking for good off-piste. Just wondering about why the differences?
ski holidays
asland, Part of the problem in Europe is the number of skiers on the mountain, but most of the answers have been given above. 2 of the 3 quotes i gave were not yours, but i was just waiting for the off piste supriority brigade to come along. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Possibly inexperience - to us noobs, on piste is how we learn and what we are comfortable with. There is also probably an element of "swimming between the flags" if you get what I mean. To me personally, I'll have to get a hell of a lot more experience before I'm game to try off piste. Oh and I'm not European - I'm an Aussie living in London!!!
snow report
asland, Go to Chamonix, you'll see more hard core skiers there than anywhere in the States
snow report
Spindrift, possibly. You'll also see more fakes who are going there to be seen as hard core skiers.
latest report
Ideal situation - off-piste before lunch - a really good late lunch somewhere in the sun - and then some high speed blasting on-piste after lunch ending at a piste-side bar.

Whilst I think my most memorable skiing has all been off-piste or in US type bowl situations, there is a certain type of skier who would rather be clattering over windpack or through semi-set porridge than be seen on a nice steep bit of corduroy, even if no one else is looking. I don't understand this.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 2-02-07 15:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Also if you corss the road in sight of Zebra crossing area you can be fined.
But vot iz ze bra crossing? wink
ski holidays
asland wrote:

Who cares? its a holiday.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, That's Val D'Isere
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy