Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Check your Credit Card Statements...... A cautionary tale

Poster: A snowHead
I know this is good practice, but don't forget to check your card statements when you get home.....

3 weeks after returning from Cervinia, looked at statement to find I had allegedly spent 4996 euros in ski shops whilst in resort Evil or Very Mad Cheeky bar stewards didn't even have the decency to wait until I got home!

The ironic thing is that the only place the card was used was in the hotel restaurant Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

At least the local police will have something to go on!!

I know it can happen anywhere but it leaves areally sour taste in the mouth after a good week in the hotel - have written to the tour operators, don't suppose I will get a reply.

At least I am sorted and not out of pocket - but on other trips I ahve used the card more and if the fraudulent use had been for smaller amounts I might have missed them.

So do your pocket a favour and check those statements!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm glad I generally do as I had two fraudulent debits for US online shops (no not that kind) - one for jewelery and one for ties (!) on my January statement. New cards and account issued (irritating as I have to learn a new number now).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

This kind of thing recently happened to me. Sad

Nationwide called me to alert me to some suspect use of my card the days before....loads of money spent on online betting...

Fortunately, I don't really use credit cards, and only use my nationwide one abroad (as they wave any commission for use abroad), so they quickly spotted the problem, even before my statement arrived! Fair play to them! Little Angel

Had last genuinely used the card last summer in Greece......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Virgin got in contact with me over a £20 pay as you go phone bill.
A small amount, but still not mine. Card cancelled and replaced. Nice to know they care Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only problem I have ever had with a card was a Visa card that was cloned in a Peage machine in France Confused

"Morning Mr Boredsurfin it's your card issuer here. Did you have a good trip? yes why? Just checking that you are at home safely, we thought you were because your bought petrol at Ashford services at 11.00pm but your card was being used in France at the same time Shocked We have cancelled your card and new ones are on their way to yo. Dont worry no charges have reached your statement. Thank you."

Great service I thought, Very Happy

Shame the new cards took two weeks to arrive Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi boredsurfin,

Being in two places at once is always a bit of a giveaway!!! Laughing

Unless you got some very interesting talents!! Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler, I have heard that card cloning is more frequent on mainland Europe. Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Card was stopped once for "suspected fraudulent activities". All transactions were genuine, but maybe someone put it thru manually as card present, when it clearly wasn't. In 1 day I had 3 US mailorder transactions, and Hotel+Esso station as genuine card present.

Sort of related... What concerns me are (mainly) business hotels in mainland EU. It is the norm to hand over passport at check in and collect later (often they photocopy the details page, which for the new chip passports contains part of the key to decrypt the chip). Then they want my home address and signature on the checkin form. And 99% of people pay by credit card. Sod that... I pay cash, put a false address, and never ever sign with my normal signature.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy,
Quote:

put a false address

Which if you do in the UK you are committing an offence under the Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972, The innkeepers Act 1878
The Hotel Proprietors Act (1956) and leaving yourself open to a charge of obtaining goods and services by deception. As well as falsyfing a contractual document etc etc Shocked
Hotels are very well provided for in UK law. Very Happy

Police officers have the right to check Hotel 'register's (and do so fairly regularly if a hotel has 'security sensitive' visitor's) Similarly the hotel has the right to request that the Police check an entry in the Hotel register!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Costa Rica two years ago, we went on a boat trip for 2 weeks, then had a car hired to be delivered to the port for us to go off into the cloud forest for a few days. Had our credit card manually swiped by the guys delivering the car. On getting home to our credit card statement there were some large payments (we think they bought PSPs) and one for about £2 rolling eyes totalling around £900 that were spent in some department stores / electonic stores. We could prove that we were on the top of a mountain miles and hours from anywhere - sent them a few maps too. Absolutely no problems with my credit card issuer (GM Card).
You never hear the outcome, but it would have been nice to know who scammed the card, so you can be more aware in similar circumstances.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had a few phone calls from my credit card company (never had the card stopped, they call me first) - once recently I had paid my hotel bill in Strasbourg, booked a hotel in Vermont and filled my car with petrol in Surrey, all of which had been processed within the space of a couple of hours. One quick phone call from them and it was all sorted.

andy wrote:
What concerns me are (mainly) business hotels in mainland EU. It is the norm to hand over passport at check in and collect later

What business hotels do that? (I'm pleased to say I haven't stayed in one like that yet)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, where would the deception come in, assuming that you pay for everything? My address is pretty unlikely to have any effect on the price or whether the goods and services would have been offered to me. Wouldn't the falsification have to be germane to the contract to be actionable? Again, it's very unlikely that my address (or my name for that matter) would affect the terms of the contract.

Do the (Hotel Records) Order 1972 and the The Hotel Proprietors Act (1956) oblige the guest to give a correct name and address, or merely oblige the proprietor to ask for keep a record of them? What is my correct name, anyway? Anything I choose to call myself, I'd have said.

I usually put my office address, which is as much my address as my home address.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, Yes Laughing
The Hotel records order is very explicit in what has to be recorded from non-UK based citizens.
The other items really only come into play if a more straigh tforward 'crime' has been comitted.
But if you don't pay me your bill I can sell your horse Laughing wink

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 2-02-07 13:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, it's the Italian ones that concern me most. UK never asks me for passport (presumably assuming I'm UK resident), and they'll get cash too, not CC.
richmond, office address is good idea actually, esp. if on business. A true legal point of contact, totally free of any ID theft.
Wear The Fox Hat, most smaller Italian ones I've stayed at recently. I think they copy passport details, make you sign the reg. form, and they fill in the details after to save you the effort. The words "sod" and "that" spring to mind.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andy, ah. I haven't stayed in Italy on business. Only Belgium, France and Germany.
ski holidays
andy, it's not only Italian hotels even apartment owners have a special guest registration form and require you to fill in your passport number.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Rather unfortunately my cc company decided to phone my wife about a "possibly fraudulent" purchase of a pair of recons before I'd had the chance to explain what a great deal they were Embarassed
ski holidays
brian, Laughing
ski holidays
brian, what's a recon? A reconditioned something presumably, but what?
ski holidays
Recently, due to a sudden rush of blood to the head, our cc was used a lot. No queries, no phone calls, nothing. Transcations were recorded on the same day in three different locations, hundreds of miles apart. The only transaction that was refused was a small one in French supermarket made using our French debit card.
snow report
I had something similar, drove into Italy from Austria on our way home filled up within a few km, then several months later because my wife was able to claim some expenses we kept all receipts. Someone used the card within 1/2 an hour down in the south of italy. Barclycard agreed that Toyota Land cruisers can't travel that fast! Canceled the card and sent a new one free of charge. But they did quible for a while saying that the chit had been signed.
latest report
afcbtim, Without implying any complicity on the part of the hotel you stayed at was it the Breuil Hotel ?
ski holidays
Frosty, No but you are very close! again without implying any complicty were virtually next door in a hotel next to the river with a cafe underneath it.....

I take it that you have heard of instances before then! there were 5 transactions, all but 4 in one ski shop over two daystotalling 4000 euros. Evil or Very Mad

Still makes me cross now to think of it Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Between October and January I had three of my credit / debit cards used fraudulently.

In the first instance they bought four lots of £20 Virgin mobile top-ups with the card before the credit card company spotted the transactions and phoned me. That card was cancelled and reissued under a new number.

Less than a week after receiving and using my replacement card it was used to buy a one way ticket to Havana at Christmas - at a cost of over £1,000. The credit card company didn't spot that one - I did. There was a little more quibbling, but fortunately the online company who sold the ticket recognised it as fraud almost instantly. Card, once again, cancelled and reissued under a new number.

Two weeks after getting to Morzine one of my UK debit cards stopped working. Somone had tried to buy £875 of perfume on Oxford Street - which had been spotted and stopped. The card was cancelled.

On each occassion I've been nothing but impressed at the ability of the credit card companies to spot behaviour outside of a spending pattern. But the Havana flight does reinforce the fact that the only time I spend "big money" it's on travel - and so wasn't really outside of my spending pattern.

In the first two cases I'm pretty sure that the details were taken off the card whilst it was being held for a tab. I often need to do that for work, but won't be doing that again.

In the latter case I'm lost for an explanation because I avoid using any debit card online or over the phone.

Check those statements.
snow report
Many, many years ago (when I was just a young lad) I lost a wallet on the waltzers at a fairground. It was the last ride of the evening and I realised it had gone almost straight away and went back to look for it. The geezer running the ride said he hadn't seen it and I couldn't find it so went home feeling cheesed off and cancelled all the cards that night.

To add further insult, I also failed to get anywhere with the girl I'd taken to the fairground Crying or Very sad

A few days later I got a phone call from the card company to confirm that I hadn't found the card and was using it again (this was in the days of paper swipes, so no online checks). As I was at home answering the phone I thought that was a daft question rolling eyes , until they said that someone was trying to use the card right then in a department store and was waiting for an authorisation as he was trying to buy something over the house limit. I told them it wasn't me and they said they would go after the villain.

Unfortunately he scarpered after getting spooked how long he was having to wait, and the store detectives didn't catch him. He left the card behind and I was asked to nip down to the local police station to verify the card was mine (now confirmed as stolen) and the circumstances of the loss. My description of the geezer running the waltzers matched that from the store detectives, so the police went round to the fairground (now at a different site) with the dogs and nabbed him. Result was an easy conviction and some time in clink for the bar steward.

It still pleases me to this day to see justice come through like that. Very Happy

Jon.
snow conditions
Quote:

But the Havana flight does reinforce the fact that the only time I spend "big money" it's on travel - and so wasn't really outside of my spending pattern.

But maybe you generally plan to come back PhillipStanton? A one way ticket to Havana, unless bought by a Cuban, would possibly get you refused by immigration?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But the Havana flight does reinforce the fact that the only time I spend "big money" it's on travel - and so wasn't really outside of my spending pattern.

But maybe you generally plan to come back PhillipStanton? A one way ticket to Havana, unless bought by a Cuban, would possibly get you refused by immigration?

A good point pam w - I never asked. I was just glad that I wan't up for £1,000!
snow report
afcbtim, afcbtim, a few, long story, I would imagine this is individual staff rather than the business itself, I had a great week skiing, if a little windy (on the slopes you lot, don't go there) marred only by a dispute with the hotel which to be honest was more related to one or two particular staff who had been there for many years, the dispute remains unresolved. The hotel that ryhmes with Cruel has a sister hotel (possibly two) and they share staff sometimes..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy