Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New UK Air Tax Starts Today (illegal) ?

Poster: A snowHead
short link
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dick Turpin at least had the decency to wear a mask.
At least I did'nt vote for this Government.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, I'm not so sure very many folk will vote for them next time round! thieving feckers...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had an email from Ryanair to say that as I booked before the tax increase was announced, they will automatically deduct the tax from the same card that I booked with. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flying with BA today and they're paying the tax for me. It will cost BA a fair bit on mine and Jane's behalf as between us we had six shorthaul flights and two long haul flights booked prior to the increase in tax.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, yeah, so did i. nothing we can do about it if we want to go on the holiday!!! I sent them a very strongly worded letter - not that it'll do any good.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, who should I vote for, then (given that the Scots Nats won't be on the list in SW London, SFAIK)? They are one as bad as the other, if not worse.

bmi will apparently take £20 off me at some stage. I don't really see what the problem is; no-one much enjoys paying tax, but I fail to see the enormous injustice of this one although TOs have a legit complaint that they can't get the money from their customers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, the injustice is that we bought our tickets in July at an agreed price, the new tax wasn't announced until December. I can understand them applying it to any flights booked after the announcement was made and i could understand it even more if i could be certain than the government would contribute every single penny of the £1billion that they'll gain from this new tax towards combating global warming/climate change. But they won't. I'd say we're already taxed enough. imo
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly wrote:
richmond, the injustice is that we bought our tickets in July at an agreed price, the new tax wasn't announced until December. I can understand them applying it to any flights booked after the announcement was made and i could understand it even more if i could be certain than the government would contribute every single penny of the £1billion that they'll gain from this new tax towards combating global warming/climate change. But they won't. I'd say we're already taxed enough. imo
Exactly! We booked/paid with Easyjet mid-Summer for March flights, but the last of three emails asking/demanding payment, made it quite clear that if we didn't pay we didn't fly! I would feel vey differently if , as you say, we knew the tax was being used for what we are told it is being charged for - I have NO confidence at all in that

I saw on BBC news last night that since this government came into power, we are all paying an average of £1000 a year in tax more than we were before.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I booked my flights back in July (£150 return for 4 flying Manchester to Geneva in March) and got an E-mail from BMI advising no pay, no fly.

I never voted Labour in so shouldn't have to pay all Gordon Brown's taxes !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Britain is a high-tax, low-wage economy.

Time to vote the Tories in.

They will slash taxes and trim back the bloated govt.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"I never voted Labour in so shouldn't have to pay all Gordon Brown's taxes !"

that's the price of living in a democracy! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly wrote:

I quite agree about the use to which the tax will be put; it should be used to fund efficient transport systems and I'm sure that it won't be.

Given that you (and I) hadn't travelled when the tax was hiked, I'm not sure that it's an injustice. The tax is due when you travel, not when you buy the ticket, and I'd be astonished if the tax which I paid in May or whenever it was for my Feb flights has been given to the treasury yet (I'm sure that it's been 'resting' in bmi's high interest savings account). It's a bit like buying wine en primeur and paying the duty to your wine merchant when you buy the wine. If the tax goes up before delivery, you'll have to pay the new amount on delivery, even if you'd paid the duty to your wine merchant when you bought the wine (which is presumably one reason why the duty is not normally paid by the customer until the stuff is delivered).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:

Yes, the Tories were great last time. Their use of oil revenue to fund payment of unemployment benefit to millions was an economic triumph. They have specifically said that they will not slash taxes (unsurprisingly, since they never have slashed taxes). The notion that either main party, or any other party, would be any better than the other for most people is fanciful. They are all incompetent, self seeking tossers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anniepen wrote:
I saw on BBC news last night that since this government came into power, we are all paying an average of £1000 a year in tax more than we were before.

And for one am glad that I've had in excess of a GBP4000 pay increase over the last 10 years or so!
snow report
Ray Zorro, At least you haven't had to give your time too. I had the Ryanair e-mail this morning saying Iwould have to phone them to pay as my original card number had expired. I am sat here with the phone glued to my ear and have had to listen to the same repeated message that they will be with me shortly, but that has been an hour so far. I have given up trying to do the housework one handed so have decided to peruse Snowheads instead. Just hope i'm not being charged for hanging on. Have hung on for so long I feel I can't give up now. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
richmond wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Yes, the Tories were great last time. Their use of oil revenue to fund payment of unemployment benefit to millions was an economic triumph. They have specifically said that they will not slash taxes (unsurprisingly, since they never have slashed taxes). The notion that either main party, or any other party, would be any better than the other for most people is fanciful. They are all incompetent, self seeking tossers.

Unemployment is just as high under Labour. Only, they call it sickness benefit. Millions of people in Britain are on the dole today, just under a different name.

The Tories are only saying they will not cut taxes, so that they can save their best ideas for the Election in 2008 / 2009.

The political world is clear. It has been this way for decades. The total tax-burden rises under Labour. It falls under the Tories. It is a cyclical game of ups and downs. Back and forth.

Trimming taxes is a cert under the Tories. Time to vote them back in at the next Election.
latest report
Dont worry there be back back taxing you next on houses you bought 10-20 yrs ago as there not envriomently up to date !
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
richmond wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Unemployment is just as high under Labour. Only, they call it sickness benefit. Millions of people in Britain are on the dole today, just under a different name.

The Tories introduced the idea of putting long term unemployed on sickness benefit; there was a massive increase during the 80s. Labour said that they'd do something about it but I'm not aware that they have.

Quote:
The Tories are only saying they will not cut taxes, so that they can save their best ideas for the Election in 2008 / 2009.

Yes. Of course. Absolutely.

Quote:
The political world is clear. It has been this way for decades. The total tax-burden rises under Labour. It falls under the Tories. It is a cyclical game of ups and downs. Back and forth.

The tax burden rises under all governments. Mrs T shifted taxation from earnings to spending and the present lot continue this. Whether it's a good thing or not I don't know (it's a good thing for me), but it certainly shifts the tax burden more onto poorer people.

Quote:
Trimming taxes is a cert under the Tories. Time to vote them back in at the next Election.

You're having a laugh, aren't you? Sorry to be slow.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
As of June 06, the total UK tax burden (%age of GDP) was 37.48%.

The historical peak in the UK was 1984 when it reached 38.8% under Thatcher/Howe.
snow report
brian wrote:
As of June 06, the total UK tax burden (%age of GDP) was 37.48%.

The historical peak in the UK was 1984 when it reached 38.8% under Thatcher/Howe.

The tax burden in 2006 was at its highest peak for more than 3 decades.

The forecast for 2007 indicates it will go even higher wink

short link

It is time to ditch the tax-and-spend Labour losers.
snow report
 brian
brian
... and replace them with the tax and spend Tory tossers rolling eyes
snow report
richmond wrote:
I don't really see what the problem is; no-one much enjoys paying tax, but I fail to see the enormous injustice of this one

The specific point in the article that stanton linked to was that it's not been approved by parliament.
snow conditions
laundryman, parliament doesn't seem to need to approve anything these days (and didn't in the past, for that matter). Royal perogative and all that. Still, if it is illegal, 'someone' should challenge it, presumably an airline. Let's hope it is successfully challenged, always good to see a government being put in its place.

Interesting to see it referred to as a 'stealth tax'; apart from this thread, it's been in the papers a good deal, it was on the radio news this morning, on the TV news the other day, on money Box at least twice in recent weeks and generally seems to be a topic of considerable media interset. There can be few people not aware of it, particularly those being bitten for a fiver in the check in queue.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 1-02-07 15:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
richmond, I think that the prerogative to raise taxes was something that parliamentarians jealously guarded in the past, but MPs (on all sides) have gradually become more supine (and career minded).
snow report
Indeede, although whether this tax ws imposed legally or not ought to be straightforward to determeine, one would think.
snow report
Is this the first time the word "legally" and the phrase "straightforward to determeine" (with or without the extra 'e') have been used in the same sentence? I'm assuming the Law Society and Bar hope this is not a commonly held view Wink .
ski holidays
GrahamN, 'determeine' is the Old French spelling and is, as I'm sure you you know, the correct spelling in parliamentary contexts (as are 'indeede' and 'ws').
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing
snow report
richmond, GrahamN, it would be nice to think it was straightforward to determine. I suspect that since our constitution is unwritten, it's no so easy. It wouldn't surprise me if the government had ridden roughshod over convention. If they had, it might not have been deliberate, but you'd hope the civil service would try to restrain them. I'd certainly like to think that my MP would have a chance to vote before any tax increase.
snow report
On who taxes and spends the most, these (crude) figures seem to indicate that tax and public debt were high in the mid-1970s (Heath/Wilson/Callaghan era) that by the mid-1980s, Thatcher had got the tax burden down but not paid off any debt, by the mid-1990s (end of the Tory era) the tax burden hadn't been reduced much further but significant debt had been paid off and that now the tax burden and public debt have increased again somewhat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_United_Kingdom

(the relevant figures are towards the end of the article)
latest report
Original data are from here:

short link

Worksheet C2 is the tax-GDP ratio and public sector net debt is on A9. A9 shows debt at a minimum in 1990-91 but rising until 1996-7 almost back to mid-80s level, it has since gone down and then back up a bit.
snow conditions
Hoppo, wow that's an impressive dataset.

The tax/gdp ratio graph shows a minimum in 93/4, since when it's grown by about 14%.
ski holidays
brian wrote:
... and replace them with the tax and spend Tory tossers rolling eyes

Does anyone actually think the Tories will stop this tax ?
snow report
i say make every 'green' party voter pick up the bill
ski holidays
Smokin Joe wrote:
Does anyone actually think the Tories will stop this tax ?

Not me.

Nigel Lawson used to abolish a tax every budget apparently.
snow report
i remeber when they put the top rate down to 40 per cent... oh how the lefties squealed.. the country will be skint in a week.. or er tax revenues increased massivly i forget which..
snow conditions
laundryman, why use 10 year averages when you can get the yearly data? wink Toofy Grin It would be nice to plot the tax/gdp and the nation debt data on the same axes but that would require a bit of fiddling around.

Regarding tax/GDP, it did hit a minimum in 93/94 but it has since gone up, come down a bit and gone back up a bit. My suspicion is that you'd have some trouble correlating "party in power" to tax or national debt - particularly if you included some sort of "global economic climate". There should be an appropriate statistical test for this sort of thing, but I don't know what it is...
snow report
the global economic enviroment has never been as favourable as it has been for the last ten years..
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, point us at the data then Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy