Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg in mid-March, will there be good snow skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've planned, but not yet committed, a trip to Engelberg in mid-March. But reading the trip report (in the Trip Report thread) of the poor condition got me a little concerned. Yes, there will always be snows up high. But if the lift doesn't go, or it's more ice than snow, it's not really that fun.

Sure, March is still a month and half away. Chances are good for at least SOME snow. But I would like to hear from people who are familiar with the area what the weather in March is like and what's the skiing condition "typically" is like (whatever "typical" means).

Thanks in advance for any insight.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What poor conditions? I had a great time there before the recent dump arrived, it snowed 4 days in the previous 2 weeks, which appears to have allowed them to open up most (all) of the lower runs on the Titlis area, and some on the other side.

No-one can tell you what the snow will be like in March!

Are you a piste or off-piste skier?

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I was there last week I was told by someone who had been there in March that he thought the Brunni side was unlikely to be open in March as it is south facing.

For those that do not know the resort, Brunni is by far the samller of the two areas and has limited piste skiing. It can however provide some excellent off piste skiing down to the railway station at Grund below Engelberg.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking at my previous post I should have added that there ought to be plenty of good skiing to be had on the Titlis side in March.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Are you a piste or off-piste skier?

Piste so far. But would try to venture off-piste if condition allows. Have plan to have guide service.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So, the consensus is that Engelberg is fine in mid to late March ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The SCGB are running three one week guided off piste trips to Engelberg this season. I was on the first of the two January weeks this year.

Their third week starts on 17th March. The ski club IMHO is pretty good at finding good off piste resorts (La Grave, Alagna, Grimentz etc.) so I would say that the fact that they are going in mid March is a very positive indication.

No guarantees of course!

A great off piste resort most times as I am sure I have said on another thread, but limited piste skiing in my view if you are going for a week and particularly limited piste skiing in late season.

Good luck.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've had great snow in Mar and it would be my pick of when to go all things considered. And again. last time I was there in Mar, Brunni was open and skable down to the rail station - forget the name, tho.
The glacier needed more snow in Jan - and appears to have got it- so guided routes in Mar sounds a great idea to me.... although nothing is for certain.

I think winter has arrived late anyway so I'd be looking for late season trips as well

richjp, Meet you in the bar....at last...Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm probably looking at 3rd week in March or right at the end.
Found this somewhere:
"Do not go to Engelberg unless you are really rich... It's a rip off. True, they have some nice challenging backcountry runs but they are among the most expensive ski resorts in Switzerland. Plus, Engelberg can get very very crowded - especially on the weekends since Luzern, Zürich, Basel and Bern are not very far away. I usually avoid Engelberg unless I'm out touring on skins, etc."

ANy thoughts?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman,

Can you find the source of that comment?

I totally disagree with statement that it's only for the really rich. Maybe it's not exactly cheap but certainly no more expensive than most Swiss resorts and probably cheaper than some of those where the genuinely wealthy go. I find it reasonably priced for lunch for example. A sit down meal will cost you little more than a French self service and the value for money is far better.

As for being a ripoff - it sounds like that comment was made by someone who is looking to spend as little as possible and to whom quality is not important.

It does have a reputation for getting busy at weekends because of easy access from places like Luzern. I have never had that problem however the three years I have been there were always in late January which is of course still low season. Having said that the first two years I was there, there were superb snow conditions so you might have expected a lot of Swiss to turn up at short notice which did not happen.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy