Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 days sking

Poster: A snowHead
Recently there was a thread about traveling from the UK to the alps to complete travel and a full day on the slopes with return flight.

I cant find it through the search.

Can someone point me in the right direction.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11904&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=trip&start=0
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, try this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21655&highlight=
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Liz. wink

PS is Liz acceptable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Renry, yes. That's what I'm known as "in real life"!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B wrote:
Renry, yes. That's what I'm known as "in real life"!!

Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, also look at lastminute.com- they do the eurostar one day trips- bit of a pain from Yorkshire, but not impossible to get to London first!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One-day skiing from the UK is pointless. It is for losers. Expensive, tiresome and overrated.

It is only worthwhile if you can private-jet from your backdoor to slopeside in one quick hop to, say, Courchevel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold,
Quote:
It is for losers
Do you speak from experience? Has anyone been on one of these Eurostar trips? I must admit to being tempted - especially if there was some decent company along for the trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
warrell, My mum did it last year with my little brother to come out and see me when I was workign out there. She said it wasnt the most comfortable but was bearable!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Less and longer duration trips are far better for the environment and therefore snow than multiple short trips. Train travel is also much more environmentally friendly than flying. BBC2 had a programme on this issue last week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Ross wrote:
Less and longer duration trips are far better for the environment and therefore snow than multiple short trips. Train travel is also much more environmentally friendly than flying. BBC2 had a programme on this issue last week.

The world has been heating up for 15k years. Since the end of the last Ice Age. Long before man built factories and cars. Cutting back on a few plane trips ain't gonna make much difference now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold, According to the BBC documentary planes have a far greater impact than land travel as they dump CO2 high in the atmosphere. The changes that have been occuring in the past 50 years have been far more rapid than anything previously and arctic ice cores support this. Should we assume man has nothing to do with global warming?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Ross, if people with private jets weren't flying to Courchevel they'd be flying somewhere else, so it has no nett effect.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, really, that's like saying it's pointless that I put my rubbish in the bin as someone else won't! Although you are right it is not really a skiing issue as such but we can't moan in the snow reports section about no snow when in trips we talk about endless short breaks. Here's the evidence of global warming, you'd better buy a houseboat! http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/flying/default.stm
snow report
Peter Ross, calm down, it was a throwaway comment not an attempt to justify flying to Rome and back for lunch.

Back on topic, and global warming considerations apart, wouldn't it be much better VFM to fly out one evening, stay somewhere dirt cheap (suchas the dreaded Formule 1) or even in the resort and head for the slopes first thing? You'd get a lot more skiing for the extra £25 or whatever.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
One-day skiing from the UK is pointless. It is for losers. Expensive, tiresome and overrated.

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

The only thing pointless, tiresome and overrated are most of your posts.

I did it this time last year. I went with one of my daughters on a Saturday to Foppolo via Bergamo. It was a long day, but the upshot of it was we had just about 5 hours on the slopes and the total price for flight, carhire, petrol, skihire and day lift pass totalled £75 each (so cheaper than the equivalent time at MK).

I did it as an experiment and would do it again on a year when I didn't already have a few longer trips planned.
snow conditions
Renry, I bet you didn't expect all this global warming stuff when you asked about one day of skiing. wink
snow conditions
hellfiresliding, I got it when I did mine Laughing (and glad to see your still prodding our consciences Peter wink )
snow report
I guess they'll start on the ethics of heliskiing soon.... rolling eyes
snow report
richmond, I'm calm again now Blush

Still global warming aside I just couldn't contemplate 1 days skiing.

It probably means a 4am alarm, stress parking, checking in, waiting in a half dead state, eventually arrive at destination, queue, rush, grab car, battle traffic, queue, queue, exhausted by midday! Sleep all afternoon, back to airport, queue, plane delayed, back home, get bags after delay, grab car, get home, crash into bed and take the next few days off work to recover!
snow conditions
Whitegold, you like to call people "losers" don't you? How would you define a loser?
ski holidays
bh1, Sorry to beat the buzzer! snowHead

loser

Main Entry: los·er
Pronunciation: 'lü-z&r
Function: noun
1 : a person or thing that loses especially consistently
2 : a person who is incompetent or unable to succeed; also : something doomed to fail or disappoint
snow report
3 : a person with a view that runs contrary to Whitegold.
snow conditions
bh1, Nail > Head Toofy Grin
snow report
The headlines in most of today's papers justify Peter Ross's sensible comments about glabal warming and very short trips. It is just not psosiblke to deny that iut is a result of human activity any more.

Niot sure my children will be getting to ski much when they have their own children sadly.
latest report
aidancostello,

How do you know? The precipitation has to go somewhere and the Yanks might argue global warming is a good thing for their skiing after the season they have been boasting of so far. It's all too early to say and know how it will pan out
snow report
aidancostello, Plus this warm winter is doing the plants in my garden the world of good! wink Not to mention (but I will Little Angel ) the savings us inhabitants of northern european countries can make on our heating bills, which means we can spend more money flying off to high resorts to ski - Result! Madeye-Smiley

Actually, if winters everywhere DO get less cold, won't that mean less fuel is burned, and less C02 produced? maybe it's a self regulating system after all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not interested in an argument on this issue. I chippe in top what was an active thread. Just seems rather hard to deny that the fast accelearation of global warming must be connected to various factors that are mainly related to the use of fossil fuels. As temperatures increase presumably a lot more fuel will be used generating air-conditioning units though AxSman.

With respefct JT it seems pretty clear where itis eventually heading if warming continues at this rate.

Anyway I'm no expert and have no axe to grind. I love skiing and fly there generally when I do. Just think that Peter Ross makes reasonable points and although I would consider a short trip I think a one-day trip is a bit excvessive. Just my view though - wouldn't enforce it opn anyone. I don't belive in capital punishment either but I wouldn't criticise someone who did. Some things you either belive or you don't.
snow conditions
apologies for appalling typos btw!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy