Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to eat and drink without breaking the bank in Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
I am worried about getting ripped off, ordering a couple of drinks and getting charged a fortune.

How do prices compare to say Les Deux Alpes, which we find quite reasonable in the summer.

We are in half board so we will want lunch, and a few drinks somewhere a bit lively in the evening.

What are your experinces ?

Any recommendations ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bananas, which is close to the bottom of the Soliase chairlift does a nice Croque Monsieur and salad at lunchtime for a reasonable price (compared to others places in Val). Good if you want a light lunch but want to sit at a table rather than grab an on-the-go snack. It's also close enough to skiing that you don't have to make a big detour to get there, but can also be a lunchtime meeting point for any non-skiers with you. Lots of lively places for an evening drink, but none of them cheap. Moris Bar would be my preference, but you'll have a choice of other places.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bar Rosee (or similar name) in La Daille at the bottom of the competition piste are ok for a sndwich or hot dog - basic food but reasonable price
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
second the rossee, just time it right though because when the sun goes down it gets cold quick
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Marmottes Restaurant is good value compared to some. One really annoying thing is that expensive places still want to charge you for the toilet.

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Bar Sport used to be OK - it is at the base of the pistes not far from the main square / Precision Ski etc. Last time we were there maybe four years ago it offered good bar food at a fairly reasonable (for Val D'Isere!) price. Good place if you just want to have a quiet beer and something to eat. Not too many Brits Madeye-Smiley and frequented by ski instructors.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike, I carried extensive reserach on this already (Jan07)

See:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=522999&highlight=val+disere#522999

Summarized as:

1600-1800: happy hour at Petit danois. Fax beer at 4 euros (faxe beer is a bit dodgey - gassy and little flavour - but atmosphere is great). Good resident band '2 for U'.

1830-2000: pizza in flash pizza & share a bottle of cote de rhone (approx for 44euro for 3 people). place only seats around 10 people. recommend as light a topping as possible to compliment super light bases. Perhaps just garlic butter and herbs?

2000-2130: Victors for happy hour (actually HH is 2000-2200 but suggest leave early for L P Danois) especially recommend tokyo ice teas (13 euro for 2). Clientel appear to be a bit stuck up their own behind but the cocktails are well made. Also the food (mixed asian) looks good although perhaps presented in a bit of a poncey fashion.

2130-2200: Petit danois (actual happy hour 2100-2200) load up with several red erics. Note the flavoured vodka 2.50 euro all night anyway. Great sounds (DJ) playing mixed tracks of all eras. Good atmosphere. higher ceilings & more venitilation than most competition (salloon, cafe face, etc)

Probably stay on at petit drinking stored up red erics until midnight

0000-0130 Moris bar for generally very good live bands but don't buy any drinks - absolute rip off at 7 euros. Sod em!

Back to blighty tomorrow.

Hopefully this has been helpful. PM if it has/has not or any details changed.

Seeya, K.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you have an Espace Killy pass I recommend skiing all the way down to Tignes le Breviere. Dump skis at the bottom of the cable car and walk across the bridge. Turn left and about 50 yards turn left again down a few steps to a terrace behind a restaurant. It's out of the way but the food is spectacular - to the extent that we made the trip there for lunch 3 times in a week! Mains about E15, cheaper and better than eating in Val in the evenings. Can't recommend it enough!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mike.healy, it's our little secret ok...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For a good value lunch go to the restaurant underneath the bottom cable car station at Le Fornet. Food is good, staff are very friendly and prices are really cheap compared with everywhere else. Two weeks ago I had a generous quantity of roast loin of pork (freshly carved and stuffed with garlic) with cauliflower cheese for 11.50 euros. At the top station this would not even buy a plate of spaghetti.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mjg, I am trying to visualize where this one is. I stayed in Breveries last year, but can't figure out where the bridge was. When you ski down to the gondola, there is the le bhouda (sp?) on the left and le amirally (sp?) directly across from the bubble. I am guessing that it isn't either of these (although le amirally is pretty good). Do you have to walk down the road towads the shops? I think some of the hotels have restaurants that could have terrices, but I am not sure which.

I will be in Val in a few weeks and like to ski over for lunch. If you have any more info on how to get there, I would like to try it. Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jml, at the bottom of the Sache black run there is the gondola station and a couple of restaurants. In between these there is a bridge over a river which leads into the town. You need to turn left once over the bridge and it's not far. Wish I had made a note of it's name. All of the Savoyard stuff on the menu was brilliant.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another good value lunch stop is the Bagus in Tignes le Lac. Facing away from the aeroski walk about 100 yards up the street to the left. They do good pasta and pizza. I had smoked salmon linguini for 12.50 euros, including a glass of wine. There is a sunny terrace.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We like La Folie Douce (self-service side, not the restaurant) which is at the top of the La Daille Gondola. Lovely pan bagnat (giant sarnies to you and me) and vegatable soup. Not expensive for Val d'Isere.
Cafe Fats (round the corner from Le Petit Danois) is a tiny bar which we liked.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
there's a good place just above the bottom of the Glacier Express chair on Solaise that offers a very good selection rotisserie chicken, ham, lamb and more for about euro 15.
snow conditions
Le Tufs between bottom of the Funival and the La Dialle bubble lift has a very good buffet lunch for around 15 euros. Downstairs their restuarant costs a little more but seems good value and consistently serves good food.
snow report
Thank you all, not long now...
ski holidays
mjg, Are you thinking of La Sachette? An excellent restaurant in Les Brevieres just past the church.
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
The Marmottes Restaurant is good value compared to some. One really annoying thing is that expensive places still want to charge you for the toilet.

snowHead

And haven't even the courtesy to supply toilet seats Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy