Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom chin guards for kids - update

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My 7yr old has some strange marks on her face after a race & some pictures I took show her hitting the poles a bit hard. I know she should wear a chin guard, but have witnessed terrible accidents with similar equipment. We used to play polocrosse, with detachable chin guards, but our polo playing friends had rigid chin guards (similar to ski guards) and there were several broken necks and brain stem injuries. Sorry to be so morbid, but these things fill me with fear - and she will only get faster. I wondered if any of you knew of a safer type of helmet/guard? Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-02-07 9:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I meant to say, there is this one - half way down the page;

http://www.natives.co.uk/acatalog/Natives_Helmets_64.html

the chin guard looks plastic, but I wonder if it is safter?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've got a helmet with the right screw holes to fit a chin guard on it, you can get the (detachable) chin guards similar to the one shown on rpft's link from Decathlon for £4.95.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rpft, one that can be removed immediately after the race. Short of a slalom-only helmet, I reckon I'm thinking of something like a Mivida Nexus.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okanagan, the decathlon one is metal - and what most people use whereas the natives guard is a plastic. Are you suggesting, as per comprex, that you just use the guard for racing?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rpft, no it's black plastic, with foam on the inside. I've got one I bought for my son last week in front of me as I type. And yes you can remove it when not racing if you want to.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okanagan, that sounds better - how flexible is it? do you think I'm being neurotic? Toofy Grin pesky kids, I'm sure I didn't have so much to worry about before rolling eyes Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not quite sure how to answer how flexible Puzzled When not attached to a helmet I can bend it so the two sides touch. But it's solid enough so if it took a hit from the front from a slalom pole I don't think it would give much.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rpft, I assume this was Saturdays JC race. As part of the JC team our recommendation is that where chin guards can be fitted they are used. On Saturday one of the fore runners chin guards ended up in two pieces after being hit with some force by one of the poles if he had not had it fitted he would have made a real mess of his face. My daughters were both in the same race and always ski through poles with chin guard fitted however they also use the same helmet when snowboarding and we remove the chin guard we also remove them when skiing on snow (unless racing). We have in fact just brought them a second helmet primarily for boarding use as it has become a pain taking chin guard on and off every week.
Having also just looked at your link the race helmet is the same one that my youngest daughter had and is very similar to the Scott race helmet that my other daughter and many of the other children have and I would add that these are classified as Slalom race head protectors and do not conform to the ski helmet standard. I will be at NSC on Saturday and can show you both helmets and explain the reason why they do not conform and why they are the prefered option for racing on plastic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevinrhead, thanks that would be great - similar situation to px, we used to wear the same helmets as cricketers - def. not the same standard as riding hats! I think I bought one of your daughters skis on saturday? crossmax T-10's?

Are the helmets you are talking about in reception? I am doing the freestyle session tonight so will have a look then too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rpft, I think the skis were being sold by the other Kevin whos daughter and son were also racing. The club does have helmets for sale that can be fitted with chin guards normally on display in cabinet on wall in changing room. These helmets do conform to full ski helmet standards therefore differ from the the Scott and Sun race helmets in your link above. If you are there on Saturday morning I will be on the slope for Eagles and Hawks sessions.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevinrhead, we are kestrels & the kadetts assessment for my 4yr old @ 3.30. perhaps see you at the end of the hawks session?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update - in case anyone is interested! I bought her a helmet from the ski school with the help of kevinrhead, the helmet is similar to the natives link at the top - made by sh+ - Norfolk ski club price £32 incl. chin guard, so pretty cheap too.

kevinrhead, pls. say thanks to millie for being so kind to izzy. I have a great pic. of her, will pm it to you!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rpft, Great to meet you on saturday will pass on your thanks and look forward to seeing picture.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy