Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Progression in lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, I used to ski lots when I was a kid...then had a 10 year gap and I've been going the last 3 years or so and having a 2hr lesson each tme.
Each of these lessons has taught me something new, and I was always able to ski parallel anyway, but by far the most eye opening was the session on carving that I did last time in Italy. Obviously, there's a hell of a lot of technique left to earn/practice but I was wondering if any of you ski instructors out there have a set progression that you go through. For example, what would you go onto after carving? More stuff like moguls, off piste, etc. ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'm only a lesson mad student....
Probably spent more hours in lessons than some instructors have...

but I must be a slow learner...

Still work on the same basics.... stance,balance,edging (engagement and release), rotary skills(eg steering,pivots),and pressure control... and the infinite blending and application of same....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman, No - not really. It all depends on the student and what they're seeking to achieve. Also what they can do already. Sometimes I teach things to peeps ahead of time (strictly speaking), and sometimes you have to take very experienced skiers right back to SP turns. Any instructor who sticks to a rigid progression isn't worth much IMO.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, Obviously I'll get all day Sunday to practice on a slope before my first lesson this year on Monday - maybe even 1+1/2 if its a pm session. I've been intrigued with all this 'putting the ski on its edge stuff' and getting it to make the turn for you. Is there anything I can safely! try that would help me to experiment with this concept while I'm practicing?

Sorry wrong place to post this - I feel a bit of thread hijacking coming on!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 31-01-07 0:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess the problem is every time I go on a lesson I expect to learn new things. I think I'd be frustrated if I went on a lesson and got taught the same old stuff. Obviously, if I did, then the instructor would probably think I need it but some instructors are better than others if you know what I mean.
It seems like some just go through the standard drills whereas others are prepared to take you a bit further and develop you...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, it's probably difficult to progress in lessons if you just have one 2 hour lesson each hols. Next time you go away, why don't you have say 3 lessons spread through the week, so that you can consolidate what you learn early on and move on from there. Otherwise each time the instructor is starting from scratch with you.

Also ask for recommendations here for good instructors for where you're going. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum,

Quote:

I've been intrigued with all this 'putting the ski on its edge stuff' and getting it to make the turn for you. Is there anything I can safely! try that would help me to experiment with this concept while I'm practicing?

A good way to learn edging / carving techniques is to use snow blades. More controllable and you don't feel initimidated by ski length. It also helps to teach even weight distribution between the ski's. A lot of instructors in Austria seem to use this teaching technique, which is probably not that dissimilar to the french ski evolutif method. Blades are not just for larking about in the fun park. They have serious uses too!!!

GordonFreeman, I reckon there's only so much you can learn at a time then its a case of putting the hours in on the snow practicing what you've been taught before moving on to the next thing with an instructor again. Bit like golf in some respects... I firmly believe that some people spend unneccesary fortunes on lessons when what they really need is practice. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely neccessary to have lessons, and many self taught skiers find that when they come to tough conditions or terrain their technique goes out of the window because it's all wrong at the basic level BUT it's crucial to be taught something correctly, then go away and practice it over and over again until you get it right. I've been skiing for 20 years and still book lessons now and again to work on off piste technique, mogul technique etc. Also I don't believe in the merits of ski schools apart from for begnners and very early intermediates, unless your motivation is to meet and ski with people of a similar atandard in which case they're great. IMHO Private lessons give you so much more. I'd rather have 2 full days of private lessons every 3 years and practice what I've been taught in between times than go into ski school every trip. My wife, who's a mid intermediate level skier, has also seen the benefits of this approach now too, and is busily going round recommending it to all her friends!!! Before, she used to swear by ski schools group lessons....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, problem, I'm definitely a fan of private lessons. More expensive but you get all the instruction devoted to you so no problem there.
I'm off to Solden, Austria ina few days. Any recommended ski schools there ? There's about 4 of them I think.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GordonFreeman, Sorry - never had lessons there
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't write off group lessons as always being second best to private lessons. For the last three seasons I've had a week of group lessons as well as private lessons here and there. I find that having more time in class to receive feedback from the instructor is very beneficial, even if it is diluted by having to share the instructor's attention with six or seven other people. Having this feedback over a week rather than a two hour private lesson gives you more time to evolve and consolidate those changes to your skiing, especially if it is backed up by video feedback each evening. Unfortunately I've never been able to make instant changes to my skiing when told what to do by an instructor; it takes time and a bit of experimentation to understand what is required and having feedback while I'm making that change is important for my learning style. If money was no object maybe I'd book an hour a day for the week, but that would be considerably more expensive than a week's instruction with a high quality ski school.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Each to their own. One problem with ski schools, particularly at busy times such as school holidays, is that there's often significantly more than 6 or 7 people... My wife was in a school with 12 others!!!! You don't usually know how many people there are going to be in the group until after the grading session. Then it's too late if you're in a huge group. At least with private lessons you know there's one or two of you and that's it for the duration. Also with privates, you can specifically request and intructor who speaks good English, or one you know is very good at instructing people at your level because you've had him / her before or maybe you have a personal recommendation. I feel Private lessons leave far less to chance than ski school. Agree that they are expensive, prohibiltively so in some places, but if you can / are prepared to commit the cash, then it can be far more beneficial. I looked on my wifes private tution as an investment.. she improved far more quickly than she had been doing in ski school and can now ski with me rather than me skiing on my own!! Selfish I know, but we went on hols togather - no point in spending all day apart and just meeting up at night to talk about what we've been up to. We do that at home!!! wink I'm not demeaning ski schools as a method of learning to ski. Just saying that when you get to a certain standard there are significant benefits to going private... bit like the NHS!!! wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowGod, I only use ski schools that guarantee instructors with English as their first language and guarantee no more than 8 per group (10 if race training because you get spread out doing laps of your race course). I'm don't agree that it is about the level of skiing - the last couple of classes I've been in were at a fairly high standard and my fellow students included four people who were BASI 3 qualified. I think it depends on what kind of learning experience you want, rather than whether you are a good skier or not. I'm not saying that private lessons aren't helpful (I have one booked for this weekend) but depending on what you want a group lesson over a week can be a better option. But as you say, each to their own.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it's any use I had 1hr each day with a private instructor, starting from scratch and got on really well with that and some practice between whiles, Oh and my instructors first language definitely wasn't english!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
At home in Oz I tend to alternate between private lessons and a particular group lesson format that is for advanced skiers only - guarantees maximum of 3 per group.....

This is due to cost of same lessons -ski schools are run by resort and have a monopoly so a private lesson is around $85 per hour... the group lessons are around $100 for 3 hours - big difference! Plus if I am sneaky I can check who is rostered to the 3 people lessons and so know who I am likely to get! I still take the private lessons in order to ski with particular instructors - who often do not take regular classes at all...

In Europe I have found the private lessons seem reasonable... I paid just over 30euro per hour in Livigno IIRC - to ski with a recently retired WC racer with a great eye and who was a great teacher! For me this is BARGAIN BASEMENT price on buying a porsche! Neither Easiski nor the ESF have charged me outrageous prices... and i had brilliant lessons in both cases...

Then again I come from a country where a lift pass is pretty much $100 for a day.... skiing costs! So your prices seem very reasonable to me!

I can say that I prefer a series of lessons with the same instructor... anyone who thinks they can learn EVERYTHING in an hour is either extremely talented(can I have an autograph before you become famous) or not too aware of how you learn...

remember folks
Practice makes PERMANENT
only PERFECT practice makes PERFECT

Does also depend on what you want... if you want to improve skiing - go the series of lessons and I think privates are better dollar value if you can afford them.... if you want some fun and giggles go play in snow(tubing would be good perhaps)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy