Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Set of vices - anywhere to buy from?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been getting into DIY tuning and waxing recently.
To date, I've only been using my workbench to clamp the ski, which sort of works except that it's not a very good hold and won't allow me to properly sharpen edges (it's fine for waxing).
I thought I'd get a set of vices to do it properly.

So:
1/ I can clamp these vices to my workbench but the bench is not as long as the skis so any solutions for this? Maybe just buy a length of wood, clamp that to the bench, and then clamp the vices to the wood on top ?
2/ Where can I get some decent vices from? They seem relatively cheap in the USA but at least double the price here !
3/ Any other suggested solutions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon can sell you some vices....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your solution no.1 is the usual method if you're using a portable work bench as opposed to a full length permanent bench.

Buying direct from the US can be cheaper, especially with the strong pound at the moment, however don't forget that you'll have to pay shipping, customs clearance/duty & VAT etc. The usual rule of thumb is to be prepared for the final cost to the same in £ as you pay in $ for the item. And if you have any problems the supplier is a long way away.

Like anything you get what you pay for. After selling a number of different makes/models of vices I now only sell one type, the 'Jaws of Beast' set. They are tad dearer than most but after using all types of vices they are undoubtedly the best on the market & I'll only sell what I use myself. Features are:

3 piece set comprising of centre vice & 2 outriggers for full support.
Centre vice accomodates upto 110mm width underfoot skis.
Light weight phenolic construction so easy to transport if required.
Height adjustable outriggers to accomodate all topsheet shapes & so easy adjustment when skis go into negative camber when waxing.
The outriggers do not have the usual vice jaws which are slow & a real pain to constantly be tightening/untightening etc, but instead have vertical fingers that the ski slides into for edge tuning which is really secure & very quick to use.
Rubberised tops to outriggers for non slip when waxing/scraping.
Come complete with G clamps.

I sell them for £110 including UK std parcel post which is virtually the same as what the final cost will be if bought direct from the US but without all the hassle. As an authorised dealer I also of course support their 12 month warranty if bought from me.

Other options are the SkiMan vice sets which are approx £100 for the height adjustable version or approx £80 for the fixed height. Neither have the features of the Jaws of Beast & become a really pain to use down the line if you're tuning regularly or tuning multiple skis. They're also sold under the Kunzmann & Holmenkol brands. You can get either of these from Anything Technical or Ski Bartlett. I can also supply them at very competitive prices if you really wanted them but I don't carry stock so it would take a few days.

Another option, & an inexpensive one, is the Profi Quick set which has two outriggers & the centre of the ski is secured to the bench with a rubber bungy contraption. I think they're about £60. I've never used one but they look mighty unstable for scraping & edge tuning.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 30-01-07 20:01; edited 5 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, Good question , I'm after some aswell
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a Kunzmann Profi-Vice. It's very quick and easy to use and light enough to take with you on holiday (only weighs about 1.5 kg). I took it with me to Canada and clamped it to the tuning bench in the hotel basement. I was sceptical of the tie-down centre clamp, but it works very well in practice. The novel angled grips are very handy for edge tuning too, no ski clamping required. If you want more of a "workshop" solution, the "Beast" set Spyderjon mentions looks best. Far too industrial to pack in your bag though!

http://www.kunzmann-sports-mfg.de/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, I use the 'beast' setup described by spyderjon. It works very well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
uktrailmonster, Jaws of Beast also 1.5kg wink. I'm interested in your experience with the Profi. How does it not 'bounce' too much when scraping?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try Bartletts. www.skibartlett.com
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
uktrailmonster, Jaws of Beast also 1.5kg wink. I'm interested in your experience with the Profi. How does it not 'bounce' too much when scraping?

I was very sceptical before trying. When you pull down firmly on the centre cord (it's not elasticated like it looks) and anchor it in place, it tensions the ski. I find this tension (preload) is more than enough to prevent bouncing while scraping or brushing. It's a lot more effective than it looks and very quick to use. When waxing, you just release the cord to allow the ski to go into reverse camber. The two angled side supports also work well for quick edge tuning and you still have the choice of putting the ski fully side up with the 2 additional clamps. The whole design is a good bit of lateral thinking. I specifically wanted a fairly low cost set I could easily take on holiday. These fit that bill nicely. They're probably not the best choice for a permanent workshop setup, since it's all made from plastic (although it seems very high quality and robust enough)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't believe you are all being so mature!

Here's my tuppence worth:

Gluttony and Sloth available everywhere!

Sorry, will go back to work now Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy