Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I know if my binding is set correctly?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this topic has been covered but couldnt find it on a search.........

So how do I know if my boot and ski thingy is adjusted correctly for me when I hire a set of boots / ski's???

Sorry to sound a bit non techy but I've only done this once before in Canada and I'm off to bulgaria on Sat and just want to make sure that they set the boot to Ski thing up correctly.

Last time they asked for my weight , infact I think I actually had to stand on a set of scales Embarassed as I remember the other half not being impressed either Laughing

Is this adjustment something I can check/do myself or is every boot ski combo different, if it is something that I can tweak what tool does one need, or could I make things a lot worse and should leave well alone.

I think its to do with how easy the boots disconnect from the ski so you dont tear your leg off if you crash, so I would like to get it right or at least know its right !!!

Cheers

Fur
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Furbag, what you are talking about is the DIN setting, which is a measure essentially of how much force is required to pop your ski off should you have a fall. The lower the setting, the lower the force required. Hence a beginner who should be falling down lots will have a low setting as it is safer for the skis to come off in a fall. When you hire equipment the fitter should be qualified to work out the appropriate setting for you. As far as I am aware (and no doubt someone else here will know more than me), only those qualified can set a DIN, if you play about with it yourself you could invalidate your insurance. If you are not happy, ie the skis are coming off too much or not at all, then take them back to be adjusted by a qualified technician. Hope that is reasonably helpful (just back from the pub!!)

By the way, lots of factors - height, ability and weight etc are taken into account when working out the DIN setting, hence the scales
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers , I did think it was something I shouldnt even think about fiddling with myself rolling eyes Embarassed

BUT how do I know whats right or whats wrong, if they come off to easily then thats obviouse, but how do I know if they are two tight until its too late and my legs wrapped round my neck still with ski's attached and I'm saying things like ouch Crying or Very sad

Is there a rule of thumb you can use ?

Fur
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Furbag,
Try and twist your foot out of them, it should be possible.
get somebody to stand on the backs of the skis and snap your heel forward & upwards, it should release.
If not be well insured. wink
Watch out for lots of people hanging around the hire shop wearing plaster of paris. Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info

Thats really what I wanted to know was if it was possible to remove the boot from the ski without crashing, if you get my jist Embarassed

I presume this tension also depends on ability as mjg mentions and me being say a beginer to inter. ( can link PARALLEL'S after a fashion ) this method you discribe would be about correct for my ability then.

If I was only just begining like my friend thats coming with me I presume they should be a lot easier to remove ??

I presume the further up the scale of skill you go the harder you want them to stay on your feet as you can push them harder then and get out of trouble ??
Must admit the last time I went when I didnt even know what a ski was and by the end of the week I was doing blues/Reds the last thing I wanted was the ski to go walkies as I scared the willys out of myself on more than one time and was glad the ski stayed put !!!!

Fur

edit thanks for the subject edit BTW mods, my fault as I couldnt remember what the things where called Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Furbag wrote:

I presume this tension also depends on ability as mjg mentions and me being say a beginer to inter. ( can link PARALLEL'S after a fashion ) this method you discribe would be about correct for my ability then.

If I was only just begining like my friend thats coming with me I presume they should be a lot easier to remove ??

I presume the further up the scale of skill you go the harder you want them to stay on your feet as you can push them harder then and get out of trouble ??

To some extent that is true, but it is really dependent on your style of skiing rather than your ability.

The point is that your legs can stand a higher strain for a very short time than they can for a longer time (where even "longer" is still only a small fraction of a second). So if most of your falls are likley to be happening at low speed, the bindings need to be set to release at a lower pressure because it will take too long for the pressure to reach the required level otherwise.

But the most important factors are your physical characteristics - boot sole length and weight particularly. Those will determine a "default" setting, and the techs shoudl only adjust away from that if you are noticably outside the average in terms of skiing style - which is mostly about how aggressive a skier you are.

Incidentally, for me, 5' 9", 28.0 boot size, 205lbs weight, average skier, I ski with a setting of 6.5. I have never had a pre-release, and never had a ski stay on when it shouldn't have at that setting.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy