Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broken thumb! Will he be kicked off the piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

The worst has happened and my brother has managed to break his thumb whilst practicing at the dry ski slope at the weekend. It wasn't looking too bad when A & E had it just strapped up, but the fractures department say there's ligament damage, so it's now in plaster.

We're off to Meribel at the end of the week and he's determined that the ski holiday he's been looking forward to isnt going to be ruined. He plans to take things a bit easier and there's definitely no question of him not coming.

So, is he going to get kicked off the slopes if he's caught ski-ing with a broken thumb? Is he going to be considered "dangerous" and therefore risk his lift pass being confiscated? He's a pretty good skier, and aside from the pole holding issue i think he'll do fine. A few years ago i skied in Austria with a guy who only had one hand and he managed very well.

Any thoughts? Experience? He's pretty pissed off with himself, so anything to cheer him up would be good? Smile

thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kizzi2002, I skied in similar circumstances. I got the fracture clinic to remove the plaster, and bought a thermoplastic splint which was fitted by a private (qualified) physiotherapist. I had ligament damage too. The splint was far more comfortable than the plaster, and allowed the physio to give some ultrasound therapy to help the ligament heal.I bought a larger pair of gloves to go over the splint (they has a zip up I remember).Only problem may be your friends insurer. And I had a great holiday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kizzi2002, He won't get kicked off. If he can take the pain then why not ski. I have skied with a thumb / wrist cast on all week with no problems, apart from I had to cut a glove to get it over the cast and gaffa tape it together each day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whats the current policy on flying in a cast? My nephew had to have his removed a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
According to Easyjet he's ok to fly with a cast so long as it's been on for over 48 hours.

Just spoken to him and he's bought some mittens which cover the cast, even got them cheaper as the right hand one was damaged ! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like I am going to need a medical cert to fly though!

Quite chuffed with my new mittens though, (yep I'm the silly ejit who fell at hillend the week before going)

One poled skiing?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Who needs poles? Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never heard of anyone being kicked off the slopes.

I think that plaster casts have to wait about 48 hours before they can fly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kizzi2002, my bf did a similar thing last saturday playing football about 6hrs before we were due to leave for Andorra! - it swelled up and went black - EVIL me made him get on the plane anyway- it still hurts him but isnt as bruised anymore and he snowboarded on it all week!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bob the Bullet, shame you can't get a thermoplastic splint, the physio moulded mine so I could still hold a ski pole!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try blades and then you won't have to worry about poles at all anyway. I've saw a couple of people on the slopes in Meribel the other week with their arms in plaster, as long as your not needing to have the arm in a sling then you should be OK.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cinglis, tough luck chap - sorry to hear about that. I did a similar (but not as bad) injury just before I went years ago. That holiday taught me one of the greatest skills I've ever learned on the slopes... how to fall properly! Honestly, you very quickly learn to fall correctly by tucking and rolling, not putting your hands out, so treat it as a blessing... have a good trip - sounds like you will anyway!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled wrote:
cinglis, tough luck chap - sorry to hear about that. I did a similar (but not as bad) injury just before I went years ago. That holiday taught me one of the greatest skills I've ever learned on the slopes... how to fall properly! Honestly, you very quickly learn to fall correctly by tucking and rolling, not putting your hands out, so treat it as a blessing... have a good trip - sounds like you will anyway!

Hi Carled,

It's a bit of a bummer, but hey at least it's not my leg, actually my falling skills are pretty good, I used to be a pro/ semi pro Downhill MTB'er for a good few years, so I'm pretty used to binning it big style, and the tuck and roll works, problem with the matting stuff was that my thumb went under the matt and then when I rolled.....well my thumb didn't.

Getting all things sorted now, letters to Easyjet, innsurance, new gloves, but what allot of hassle for what I thought was a sprained thumb.

As usual it was the last run of the day, typical.

Lesson to be learned, stay away from the dry slopes three weeks before you go!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cinglis, the thing you ned to be careful with is your insurance. you may find that it is invalidated if you ski with your hand in plaster....they use any excuse not to pay up. Check it out before you go (if you haven't already!!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cinglis, bad luck, but welcome to snowheads.

Skiing in a small cast should not be a problem. I would advise taking it easy though.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:
cinglis, the thing you ned to be careful with is your insurance. you may find that it is invalidated if you ski with your hand in plaster....they use any excuse not to pay up. Check it out before you go (if you haven't already!!)

Hi Elizabeth,

I haven't yet got my insurance, down on my list for tomorrow things to do, I will obviously declare it, so I imagine they will just put an exemption on, hopefully my E111 card thing will still be of some help there, but other than that I think I will be on blues and greens and the bar stops for my holiday, hardly a chore Very Happy

Cheers all,

Chris
ski holidays
cinglis, that's what happened to my thumb too, three weeks before my first ever skiiing holiday. Hooked under the matting. Nasty.
snow report
cinglis I was taught without poles & have never been sure what to do with them since. You'll be fine as long as you're sensible. Have fun & if it's causing you any grief, up the dosage of apres!! Very Happy
ski holidays
cinglis,
Know as Hillend thumb at Royals A&E
Good luck
We are off on Satarday too
ski holidays
Garfield, nad Silksworth thumb at Sunderland Royal.
snow report
 John Heaton
John Heaton
cinglis, Mine got 'Knackered at The Ackers' ! (Ackers Trust in Birmingham).

BTW Shouldn't your E111 be a EHIC by now?

Hope you have a quick recovery. I'll look out for you on the slopes. I'll be just up the road in Mottaret. Any other distinguishing marks? wink
snow conditions
cinglis,
Quote:

Shocked Spooky! I did my thumbs (both - arms outstretched...) on hexagonal dryslope three weeks before I went! Ligament sprains... no breakage!

edit: even spookier! HelenBeaumont too! Weird...
ski holidays
just cut the plaster off and then get a good support for it snowHead
latest report
cinglis wrote:

As usual it was the last run of the day, typical.

Nah.

Lesson to be learned is don't have a "last run of the day" - just keep skiing Smile
snow report
Why on earth would someone be kicked off a slope simply because of a disability? I've seen people skiing who are blind, missing 1 limb, missing 2 limbs and all manner of ailments. If he's happy to ski with a broken thumb then that's his problem surely? After all, there is no law that says you must use poles!
ski holidays
alex_heney,
Quote:

Lesson to be learned is don't have a "last run of the day"

I think Richard Hammond would fully agree with you on that one! Toofy Grin
latest report
Well chaps, I'm back, one uterly fantastic week in Meribel was had..... sunshine, snow, big dump on one day, fanstastic snow and sunshine on the last day, superb skiing, several massive stacks...........(if you can't tell, I'm still smiling now).

But as an update for anyone else suffering the same fate as me, Easyjet weren't the least bit interested in my letter of confirm that I could fly, which my mate Kate had run arround like the preverbial chicken for, no one asked (though I bet it was one of those situations that if I didin't have it ......etc) so a huge thanks to Kate for that.

I coudn't use my left hand pole to plant at all, but it stayed with me (the pole), throughout, despite some impresive stacks, at the end all was fine.

The three vallies was awsome, anyone heading there next week, you are some lucky people, snow was great, weather was perfect (we suffered the white outs for you) have fun.

Thanks again to snowheads for the advice, and mega thanks to my wee Sis' (Kizzi 2002) for her organising, where we going next? Smile

Chris x
ski holidays
I snowboarded in saalbach with 2 dislocated fingers, I just buddy strapped them up and bought a set of mittens, not a problem Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cinglis, you got lucky. I had hillend thumb a few years ago and got sent home after 4 hours at A&E with nowt other than take some painkillers.

I couldnt even cycle as the virbation of the bike made it hurt so bad.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy