Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any tips for Montafon?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are going to spend a week from March 3rd to 10th, I believe the best place to stay would be Gaschurn, have you been there? Could anyone give some advise in lodgement, apreski, off-piste, special things to do?
Many thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've spent three weeks in the Montafon valley already this season, as my girlfriend is an English teaching assistant over there, and I'm going out again in February, March AND April Very Happy . From my experiences so far, I'd recommend staying in Schruns, as it has plenty to do and good bus links to all the resorts. Hochjoch, the resort in Shruns, has my favourite skiing, with loads of accessible off piste in the Grasjoch area (including some nice colouirs that you can practically ski to from the lift. Gargellen also has lots of off piste, but is a smaller resort and is quite a way from all the rest. If that's what you're looking for though, Gargellen has the advantage of being at 1400m and being very pretty! Golm is very much racer orientated, with primarily wide open reds. Silvretta Nova (Gashurn and St Gallenkirch) has quite a few nice runs of hard blue/red standard, but more limited off piste, and the snow hasn't been as good as Hochjoch or Gargellen on the days that I've been. Having said that, I believe the run to the valley station in St Gallenkirch opened for the first time today, so it could be good now (all the resorts had over a foot of snow yesterday).

Silvretta Nova and Golm tend to get very busy at the weekend, so are best avoided then. I can't say much about the accomodation/apres ski, as I stay with my Girlfriend in Bludenz. If you have any particular questions about the skiing, just ask though Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
also wondering about montafon for a trip for a group who like there sking but also rather fond of their apre ski scene, not the mad dancing on tables, clubbing type apre ski scene but more the traditional cosy bar scene. would schruns provide the more variety of this also?? looking at the piste map it looks like schruns is lower than gallenkirch and the previous post said that the piste to the valley to gallenkirch was closed till recently, was schruns not also badly affected? any idea of drink and food prices? would'nt be able to manage the kind of prices paid in nearby st anton and ischlg!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, the piste in Schruns was also closed until this weekend, but it was open for quite a while in December/January, and the snow up to in Schruns was definitely better. Food and drink are reasonably priced for a ski resort, certainly cheaper than anything you'l find in France. I haven't ventured over to St Anton yet, but I imagine it's more expensive there (certainly if my 383 euro season pass is anything to go by!). I've only been up to Gashurn once, and that was in low season, so I can't say what the bars are like there, but in both Gashurn and Schruns, the ski lifts go from near the town centre, so there's bound to be a few bars around.

If you want to be absolutely certain of snow down to the bottom, maybe have a look at Gargellen. The runs down the the valley there have been open since the second week of December. It's only a small village, but theres a couple of nice bars there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went year before last. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but don't go if you're looking for loads of night life and the world's biggest apres ski party. The Silvretta Nova has an Italian restaurant at the top with a bit of apres ski action, but apart from that we enjoyed just chilling out with hot chocolate and rum at a dutch bar on the skiweg on the toboggan run. There is some but limited off piste, but if you stay on the runs, then move with the sun (or just before it), as they are not as well tended as they should be and get a bit cut up. The area is big enough to see you will not get bored in a week, but two maybe over the top.

It was great as there were few to no Brits there, and it was amazing value for money. It was the shock between there and St Anton that brought home how good Montafon was. There were no lift queues, and the system was well managed and modern.

We used the skikindergarten that was fair to say the best about it, if you've young kids I'd think twice about entering them into it. The teachers seemed disinterested, and we ended up teaching them ourselves (not a good option).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy