Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France the Most Expensive Place to Ski, Bulgaria the Cheapest

Poster: A snowHead
According to PriceRunner, the average total price for a one-week, four-person, family ski vacation is roughly 2 times higher in France (£3.8k) than the 10-country average across Europe (£2.0k). Bulgaria is, unsurprisingly, the cheapest (£1.1k).

More qualitative and quantitative data can be found at this link:

http://50connect.co.uk/50c/articlepages/travel_index.asp?sc=guides&aID=15623

Country
Price

France
£3,803

Italy
£2,436

Austria
£2,223

Norway
£2,198

Switzerland
£2,185

Sweden
£1,676

Germany
£1,612

Slovenia
£1,402

Czech Republic
£1,272

Bulgaria
£1,073
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a French brother in law and he says they all have an in built 'default' position to have their govt over for a bit of money, and if not, make a few bob out of the tourists. I am dreading the price of a lager in Avoriaz in 2 weeks - around 5 euros last year - coz only the French will be sinister enough to put the prices up even further to make up for the disastrous start to the season.
Please can someone tell me somewhere whether its cheaper in the Morzine mountain restaurants than the Avoriaz area ones - the only reasonably priced outlet in the whole area is the burger shack at the bottom of the Pleney
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They don't mention travel (do they? did I miss it?) but I'm assuming they meant to include it. The prices for all but France seem a little low to me - about 940 for Austria/Switzerland for travel and accommodation for a family of 4 for a week. Where do I find such average prices?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The prices for France are eye-watering, we've never spent that much on a weeks skiing for 4.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Price isn't everything. Don't think I'd swap 2 1/2 weeks in Slovenia for one in France. Italy seems the best bargain to me. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree France is extortionate, although I believe there are still smaller places to go which could be deemed reasonable..... I personally like Austria, and find it and Italy VFM with all things balanced. Agree with AxsMan, though.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It would be nice to see Scotland on the list.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think Italy is more expensive than Austria. What is certain is that for tight budget, you will not find the same quality of accomodation and food in Italy as in Austria. Services in Austria have a certain minimum guaranteed level which is by far better then the minimum guaranteed which you'll find in Italy. It's a safer bet Austria from this perspective. I don't know ski passes prices in Italy though. I heard that they are cheaper than that in Austria...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But France is number one in prices (not necesarilly something to be proud of...) no doubt about. Especially food & drink. This year I'll go to Switzerland, to see how things are there. Hopefully not as pricey as France Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have worked out some figures and from our family of four's perpsective the figures are a load of tosh Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I saw the report in yesterday's Guardian and agree with Frosty that it is a load of nonsense. Suspect they have picked a week which is out of peak season and based on the special offer prices offered by a few big oerators who many of us do not travel with anyway. They may look so cheap because there is little snow in some of the resorts covered by the special offers. Not exactly a bargain if you want to ski. There is always a cheaper way of organisng these trips whether it is France, Switzerland, Italy etc.

Although I haven't done it for years I'm pretty sure I could organise a cheap trip to France hiring an aprtment, orgnaising my own flights or driving etc.

Off to Italy myself soon which I find very good value and less busy that many Fench resorts. Food is reliable and not over-priced too!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oscarkat wrote:
Please can someone tell me somewhere whether its cheaper in the Morzine mountain restaurants than the Avoriaz area ones - the only reasonably priced outlet in the whole area is the burger shack at the bottom of the Pleney

oscarkat - they are much of a muchness. Eating cheaply in the area is about both how you eat as well as where you eat - adding that dessert and beer onto the luch bill often more than doubles it.

If you want to eat cheaply then the best thing to do is to take sandwiches and eat in one of the "Salles Hors Sac" - there's on at the top of Pleney, the new restaurant at Nyon, in Plaine Dranse (near the church), at the top of the Linga bubble,...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Although I haven't done it for years I'm pretty sure I could organise a cheap trip to France hiring an aprtment, orgnaising my own flights or driving etc.

I'm doing it at half term. France for £1265 NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh (EasyJet flight, Interhome apartment, La Clusaz/Aravis lift pass, local ski hire).
The cost of living in La Clusaz isn't as high as the big name resorts so I wouldn't expect to pay a lot for food and drink. It will be our 4th time in La Clusaz and we always have excellent snow conditions.

I own an apartment in Bansko, Bulgaria and it wouldn't save me that much to go there instead because the flights are more expensive and the lift pass isn't that much less for a much smaller area.

'Shop around' that's my mantra!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Family of 4 (2 * OAP's, 1 adult, 1 * 8 yo), 1 week in Val

£30 UK car parking
£400 flights to Geneva
£400 accom for 7 nights (self catering)
£200 car hire (inc chains)
£50 petrol (ok this bits a guess and depends on ignoring the geek with the sat nav and NOT trying to take the Little St. Bernard Pass in March........)
£100 provisions from supermarket in Bourg or wherever
£130 ski/boot hire (ok only needed for 3 peeps)
£450 6 day ski pass (cough: there is at least one reason to look forward to being 60)
£100 1 week ski school for the little un

Total: £1,860 (ok so some food and beer money on top of this)

Is it really £50 for a beer these days in Val? How else do you get close to an AVERAGE of £3,800 for a week in France or have I missed something?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
£50 petrol (ok this bits a guess and depends on ignoring the geek with the sat nav and NOT trying to take the Little St. Bernard Pass in March........)

You've had that geek in your car too then. wink
snow report
I know I'm stating the obvious here, but the numbers they have for France are:

- £719 for rentals and passes - probably reasonable
- £820 for food - £205 per person a week Shocked

Leaving £2,264 for accommodation and travel.

If the person who wrote that article reads this post then please contact me to obtain a very special rate on my apartment in Morzine for half term. Normally £500 - your's for £1,800 - leaving you £464 for petrol and ferries - assuming you're bringing the Roller...
snow report
PhillipStanton,
You left Beer out of the equation wink
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
PhillipStanton,
You left Beer out of the equation wink

Ah, sorry, forgot that. Let's see - I'll include £200 of free beer. At €3.60 for 6 Pelforth Brunes that'll buy you 466 bottles of Brune - 233 per adult per week or 33 a day.

I think we should probably cancel the ski hire and lift pass then...

* Actual number may vary with exchange rate.
ski holidays
Helen,

As soon as I realised the road had ended, I refused to say anything until we got back to the otherside of the Mont Blanc Tunnel (for which he paid again without a word) Evil or Very Mad. However as a result I'd lost my chance of getting on the slopes on the first day Crying or Very sad. He certainly made up for it during the rest of the trip though. Cracking holiday had by all in the end so can't complain Very Happy
ski holidays
nhayes, Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Three sets of mates with large families all went to Bulgaria last year by charter flight packages. This year are going to mottaret by car/chunnel and they recon costs are virtually the same, and these people count the pennies trust me.

France 4x the price of Bulgaria, nonsense..... rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
I am forever furious with the way prices shoot up for school holidays, my daughter sits her GCSE's this year and starts A levels next, have priced a week in Zell am see for New Year at £2700ish for family of 5 (inc free child place) flights, transfers half board hotel, no equipment or lifts etc
Priced up the following week £1500 Shocked for exactly same holiday!
We could drive to France, can anyone suggest accomodation either on or very near slopes including half board?
So many people say they can do it at a decent cost, but I have searched and this seems the best deal Puzzled
ski holidays
feefee, we've usually found at New Year and half-term, it's cheaper to rent a nice apartment, and eat out at night rather than book a TO package. Like you we have kids at school.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, problem is there will be 2 or 3 families, getting a table for up to 12 each night becomes a chore, as does cooking, tried it before it was like a soup kitchen!!
I just figured dinner laid on each night makes life easier for me!! (and beds made)!
I just get so cross when they double the price for school hols!
latest report
feefee, sorry I though there were just 5 of you.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, THANKS I have just priced up for this half term (as a comparison) flights to Geneva and Grenoble are around £1100 for 5, you're right we could rent a lovely apartment or two, but once we add on all the extras don't think we are much better off, trouble is my eldest is 16, the youngest is 7! so I have years of frustration with holiday companies!! ( my fault for having 3 kids so far apart!)
Either that or we start skiing without them!! Very Happy
snow conditions
feefee, You could always book a half board hotel or B&B independently. Thats what I do... this New Year is cost me under £2000 for flights, private mini bus transfers and 7 nts B&B for five of us (all adults - a double and a triple room) in Zell leaving UK on Boxing day. The B&B is great and right opposite the CtiExpress Gonodola. If I'd have waited for the Ryaniair flight release I could have knocked £400 off the cost of flights and gone from EMA 20 minutes from home rather than Manchester..... I didn't know they were launching a Salzburg flight otherwise I'd have taken my chances and waited. Most of the hotels will take independent bookings. If it's Zell you want check it out.
snow report
feefee, if you book the flights early enough for next New year, they will probably be cheaper too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feefee, I have the same problem. There are a heap of ways to avoid the cost hike during school holidays though;
1. The first and obvious one: take them outside of the school holidays Very Happy . Not easy for you with one doing GSCE's I admit, but I've used it when my eldest has not had any important exams during any one year. We just tell the school and whilst not exactly happy about it, they accept it.
2. Select a resort based on somewhere that is easy to get to from your local airport via a low cost airline.
3. Find and book accomodation independently at your selected resort - avoid TO's. We met a guy in La Daille who had his own apartment and cajouled him into letting us have it for a week on an annual basis. As its not rented out on a commercial basis, he does not hike the price during school holidays. Ok, maybe we got lucky here, but however you cut it, talk to people in resort: you will be amazed at what you can pick up. Or just google it: you are after 'apartments' as for a family of 5 you get your own space (no sharing with others which you would have to do in most chalet's), they tend to be closish to the piste and cheaper all round in my experience. Self catering though, but hey that's how to get the costs down: no chalet girls and boys to pay for.
4. Buy all your food and what not on the way to the resort, not in it. Much cheaper and if you are hiring a car to get to the resort, it should not be a problem getting it there.
5. Get on sleezyjet's (or which ever low cost airline) email list. Once you have accom booked, as soon as you get an email from sleezyjet saying winter flights are available to book, get theeself to a PC and do it pronto. I got return flights during sensible hours from Bristol to GVA for £95 each (inc taxes) during the school hols by doing this. A few hours later the flights were £150 each.
6. Fly out the day before the school holidays start and stay overnight in a B&B on the way to the resort (again google it for these). Ok the kids will have to take one day off school but most likely the cost of the B&B will be much less than the hike in flight costs. Does not help on the way home but you could delay the return by another day (still during the school hols) so at least you are avoiding the usual weekend change over so costs may be less. I've not tried this myself but if you fluff booking the flights early enough, it might be worth looking at.
7. If you still need to get costs down, try The Bunker in Verbier. At only £11 a night, thats good value.....they even provide you with upto 35 roomies free of charge Shocked. Ok so no use for the family but bunkhouses are great if you are going for a lads week/end away.
8. Use independent french ski schools (with English speaking instructors) not 'Bristish' ones: again much cheaper. Just check on SnowHeads for recommendations for your chosen resort. If you are into a bit of verbal S&M, feel free to use ESF wink

Well that's my two penneth worth. Its a heap of hassle but it don't half cut the costs.
ski holidays
nhayes, Thanks for all that! we would love to go midweek-midweek but struggle to find hotels that will do this?
As for a bunkhouse.... not sure if I'd be accepted on a lads weekend being an almost 40 female!!!!!!!
When do the cheapie airline flights go on sale for New Year?
But all your points taken thanks Very Happy
latest report
OK, so everyone wants to argue that they can do it cheaper rolling eyes

How do you get a price for something, if you don't try to average it out?

Look at what they say above the price for food & drink:

Quote:
For après ski, Norway is by far Europe’s most expensive country. A beer costs over £4 and a basic lunch costs over £12.

and
Quote:
Prices for food and drink for a family of four including lunch and drinks on the mountain, beer and vin chaud for a week.

So, for Norway, £857 = £214.25 per person, which is £30.60 per day for 7 days.
Lunch + 1 beer on the mountain is at least (based on their comment) £16. If you then have a beer and a vin chaud in the evening, at £4 each, then you are left with £6 to spare. That's based on having a basic lunch, not an average priced one.

Sure, you can save money by buying beer in bulk before hand, etc, but cut the guys some slack - they have produced average prices by looking at averages.
If you can prove that a basic lunch on piste in Norway is a lot less than £12, then start the debate from there!

BTW, beer in Snowmass was under £6 a pitcher (3.5 pints) during happy hour.
On mountain lunch, including drink was running at about £7 a day for me.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

BTW, beer in Snowmass was under £6 a pitcher (3.5 pints)

ah, yes but those pints are US pint's which are of course much smaller than our imperial pints which are of course larger than demi litres wink Laughing
latest report
boredsurfin,Don't forget to add that it is just shandy Toofy Grin
snow report
This separate press release from Travelex appears to suggest that an average, one-week, two-person vacation to Klosters, Switzerland, costs £2.1k, compared with £1.1 for Bansko, Bulgaria.

That is a similar 2:1 ratio, as found in the PriceRunner survey:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2005300000-2007040737,00.html
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
boredsurfin,Don't forget to add that it is just shandy Toofy Grin

the word 'only' appears to be missing before 'just' in that statement Laughing
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat: Not interested in arguing, just surprised the averages are quoted so high. Beyond that I'm only interested in sharing ways I've found to make skiing affordable. After all if I could not ski inexpensively, I would not be skiing at all.

feefee: Pleased to be of assistence. Different airlines release tickets for different flights on different dates. That's why you have to subscribe to their mailing list so you get an email as soon as the flights you are after are released. Sleezyjet released their Bristol to GVA winter 06/07 flights at the end of June 06 if my memory serves me correctly.
latest report
I pay for my own family of four to go skiing every year and find the prices to be a little strange whereas it no doubt depends on what kind of holiday you have as to the absolute cost of the holiday. There is not a relative difference of 75% between Switzerland and France in my experience. I have been to Switzerland France and Austria all within the recent past.
A lot will clearlydepend on how you holiday (Self catering, chalet hotel etc.) whether you eat out or not but there is also as much variation between resorts within countries as there are between countries. I think the info as presented is pretty useless to anyone as it does not really explain how it is derived or why it may be misleading.
latest report
Well I'm happy, managed to get best discount I could and looks like we're gonna do the package after all! THANKS everyone for your help, this site has been so helpful for so much information, and not not just skiing!
Many of the threads are hilarious, there are some very witty snowHead out there! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy