Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First trip 4 15 years, going with 3 1/2 yo - any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Soldeu in March for first skiing trip in 15 years. Taking my wife and 3 1/2 yo daughter (both novices). Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Firstly, silly question I know, but what are chances of decent snow by March 18? snowHead

Second, are group lessons or private lessons the best option for me, previously a low end intermediate, now, who knows? (cash is a bit of an issue)? Confused

Third, anyone have experience of ski kindergarten in Soldeu?
Ok for 3 1/2 yo?
What if we are late down from hill?
What if they don't wipe their own (No 2) bum yet? (worry about the strangest things!!) Embarassed
Etc, etc, lots of worries for the little angel!!

Any other info for an increasingly stressing dad/husband? Shocked

All advice gladly accepted? Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Any other info for an increasingly stressing dad/husband?

lyndalelodge, Cant really help with your questions but If you all need to learn then you & the Mrs go in ski school. Seperate groups. Perhaps half a day so you can spend some time together.

Have a great time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Frosty the Snowman, I'm hoping to do that, I'm just worried about the logistics of it all, making sure the little one is looked after, the wife is arranged and I'm the last in line. Shocked

Trying to ensure we are taught in the morning slot might be tricky and obviously for the little ones sake, we can't have afternoon if she is looked after in the morning. I'm sure it'll be fine, but it's still a worry.

Thanks tho. Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The first time I took Mrs M skiing was to Mayrhofen, Austria, a few Christmasses ago. We had 18m old and 3 and half yr old girls at the time. Both were happy for half day in the nursery there, and they were very well cared for . Wife and I skied in the mornings and then collected kids, had lunch and spent the afternoons sledging with the kids, eating grub and drinking hot choc and walking around the village and swimming. My wife didn't have lessons - I helped her a bit on the nursery slopes and took her for rides on chair lifts and in cable cars. All in all a great time was had by all. We had the usual kid tantrums at times, and moments when we found it hard work, but then came to the conclusion that the kids are just as much hard work at home anyway. At least on holiday we could enjoy the scenery and not having to cook and so on while they were being hard work!
Try not to worry about it. Just take everything that comes at you. Don't try and rush out in the mornings - although it's a ski holiday, it is still only a holiday and so you should all be able to chill and relax. Get a good brekkie. Take little one to kindergarten (who honestly will have a good time), then both of you go for a lesson of play on the skis, and then chill for the afternoons. Hire/buy a little sledge to pull litlun around on as well (we bought one for about a fiver and just left it at the chalet when we came home). Don't expect to be doing full days skiing - just enjoy the time that you do get. Don't get cross with the wife when she doesn't want to move on from the nursery slope for the first couple or five days. Make it fun.
And enjoy the different food and drink and atmos!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By the way, you should easily get a morning slot for lessons - kindergarten usually starts early so getting a 10-12 slot would be easy. If you've got a mobile phone with you then kindergarten will take your number and you will have theirs. On one occasion we knew we were going to be 15 minutes late picking little ones up. We called kindergarten and it was no problem at all.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lyndalelodge,

We were in a similar position to you, we went at Xmas with a 4 and 6 year old and me and the wife had not skied for 19 years! We all went to the DSS before we went so the kids would be comfortable in putting on boots, etc and we could remember some stuff, it is very suprising how much you remember even if you have not been for years.

In terms of lessons, we did not arrange any beforehand and did not find picking it up again too bad. I had the chance however of a private lesson for 2 hours and this really helped me improve my skiing and move up a level, this was not too expensive, 80 EUR I think.

For the kids, they had lessons in the morning and then went to the creche for a few days and then came skiing with us. In the afternoons we generally got about 1 hour skiing with them before they got tired and then we went sledging or building a snowman or something with them for a while.

I would suggest a private lesson for you, perhaps shared with your wife if she is up to the standard where she can use the lifts, etc and won't slow up the lesson too much. Make the most of the time the kids are in the kindergarten and then afterwards have a break for lunch and do some fun activities. Some 3/4 year olds pick up skiing really easily and it is suprising how much fun it is skiing on the nursery slopes with your family and seeing how much they have improved. Bring plenty of snacks and drinks like cereal bars or something that won't freeze or melt and just as petemillis says enjoy spending some time together in pleasant surroundings, better than being in work anyway!

Cheers,
Peter
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lyndalelodge,

Quite right! A bit of a silly question. Andorra hasn't had a good season so far - if already committed read the threads here on GFS forecasts nearer the time. If not, it's a dilemma - there's no real telling but would you consider elsewhere?

Private lessons are almost always better for most people as there is a tendency for group numbers to be 10 or more and a useful limit would probably be nearer 6! However if cash is an issue...

No experience of kindergartens in Andorra but I wouldn't've thought they'd be too pleased if you were late down the hill. I'm sure they wouldn't abandon the little one - that'd be against the law - but I always used to get there on time. And I'm sure they'll be very used to kids who don't wipe their own yet!

Don't expect to do much skiing - if you get much skiing, something else hasn't gone right. Treat it as a holiday with a little skiing involved. Don't rush about - you'll get even more stressed and you can't win anyway! wink Do make sure you're prepared for non-skiing afternoons, so bring/buy stuff to do that. Have a snowball fight or two - just can't beat that. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there is a place when you get of the main Gondola in Soldeu we used it last year mate no complaints but we only but ours in for the mornings then played with the little one ie snowballing sledging etc,there is a few swings see-saws etc big tip mate take pram then you can put the skis through the pram while the other one carries the little one, the Gondola staff are great helping you on and off the lifts so don't worry about that have a good time snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to everyone for tips and advice, hoping to avoid the pram, staying at the sport village hotel which is at the gondola anyway.

DSS beforehand is maybe worth considering, give wife a taster (hopefully not put her off), give kid experience with clothes and remind me how to ski!

Will wait till arrival to decide on lessons, private or otherwise. Wife is already booked up on a learn to ski course, its really just bairn and dad that need sorted and need to make sure we all get taught at same time (had heard it was a bit of a stampede on Monday mornings with everybody trying for morning lesson slots).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good choice of accomm to ensure ski convenient - of often hugely underestimated importance by those who don't have/forgotten what it's like to have kids. Well worth getting the missus dry slope lessons - it'll add to her enjoyment enormously if she can already do the basics. Personally wouldn't worry about bairn - at that age it's more a question of doing it and picking it up rather than being taught - and in a few years time she'll be leading you round the mountain!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Don't expect to do much skiing - if you get much skiing, something else hasn't gone right. Treat it as a holiday with a little skiing involved. Don't rush about - you'll get even more stressed and you can't win anyway! Do make sure you're prepared for non-skiing afternoons, so bring/buy stuff to do that. Have a snowball fight or two - just can't beat that.

very good advice. Think of it as a holiday invested in getting your wife and daughter to want to go on another ski holiday next year, and put their needs first. Not all 3 year olds take happily to a nursery (whether ski-ing or not) and I certainly wouldn't take a 3 year old to a dry slope. Too big a risk that she'll hate it, none of the fun of podging around in real snow, and it hurts when you fall over. You know your own child. Does she go happily to nursery in the UK, and to play with new friends without Mum around? It can be discouraging if you think everyone else's children take to skiing like ducks to water and it's only your own in tears at breakfast on the second day, begging not to be sent back to ski school/nursery! Some kids need to watch first, get used to new things, take their time, get new experiences in little bites.

Just take it easy, and look at the whole experience as quality time together. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello,

First of all I must say FAB choice of hotel. You wont be disapointed... (But looks like we now have to pay for the pool/spa etc which has become part of the new Hotel ??? anyone please correct me if I am wrong...)

Just a thought.. for things to do with a little one..…. Have you thought about going to El-Tarter on the bus (Free with your lift pass) and trying the Huski Sledge rides in El-tarter ? Some Euros but I can send you some piccys of the Huski ride to show how much fun it was.. Just FAB !! But think you MUST book it first.. don’t just turn up..

If the little one don’t like the Skiing… Go to the local shop and buy one of them cheep sledges that you just sit on !! Bit of a bum shaker.. But fun nevertheless..

The resort of Soldeu is absolutely fantastic for families. The people from the Village shop to the lift staff are absolutly fantastic and friendly. (Nothing Like Pas)

I'm going to Soldeu in the first week of March. At Hotel Village with some friends and my daughter..

With regards to snow… Well… I dunno.. But I have a link that gets you the last 13 years reports. I can PM you it. But the snow cannons cover loads of runs..

Instruction in the Ski School is FANTASTIC !! I learnt sooo much.. “a low end intermediate”, DOOO the Ski School..!!!!!! Not only shows you around the slopes but also made me a far better skier ! Been to Austria etc and Soldeu does have the best instructors I have ever met ! ! And for the cost of it.. Its very very good value.

But miss Friday ! Unless you must have that Photo of your group !

An miss the “race”… You will loose half a day waiting for your turn and then a few hours for the results… IMHO go and explore !

There are no problems of “What if we are late down from hill? “ Each slope is checked by the “Wardens” before the run is open to the Piste Bashers !... No worries there !!

Hope this helps and if you want any further info please ask away… I will be back a week before you go !!!! Hope we both have snow Laughing

Tim

Ps Sorry just posted and then read the thread.... Morning lessons... Yes Stampead... Get in that que megga early !! Nobody wants afternoon lessons... Shame you cant arrange the lessons beforehand... Dunno why they cant do it differently... but its a mad dash to the lift about an hour before it opens so you can get to the booking office at the top of the slopes..... Then every other day... Theres only a small que... Crazzy... They seemed to have sorted everything else....

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 9-02-07 0:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tim Tastic, A timtastic first post. A big welcome to Snowheads Very Happy snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy