Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to Forum - Need Equipment Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello All,

I am a newbie here and looking for assistance. My question is as follows: 1) If I purchase skis and boots now, would I be better off with beginner skis or something that will take me directly into intermediate such as the SweetLuv? Sorry this is long, but I need you to know where my head is at and how much experience I have. Here's the lowdown:

I am 5'3, 43 years old, 115 pounds, and athletic. I am looking for a great confidence-building ski as I continue to learn the sport. I've been skiing about 6 or 7 times now, mostly in Wisconsin and Michigan on the Intermediate slopes and just returned from my first mountain experience in the high Sierras in Calfornia, where I skiied the green runs (loved it) and am now preparing for my next mountain experiences - Whistler/Blackcomb, as well as Heavenly in Tahoe (next year).

Although I manage to get down the mountain without falling (I've only fallen 3 times in total), I really need more confidence as I sharpen my skills, especially when it's ICY. I am a fairly solid level II skiier who is just beginning to get a feel for the Level III maneuvers. I still have a little difficulty at times keeping my skis parallel through my turns. I would like to get a lot more practice on our local runs (yes, they're crappy intermediate runs) using more forgiving ski equipment (rather than these shaky rentals), so I'm looking to make my first purchase. My husband is pushing me to do BLUE mountain runs already, which is alot different than skiing the blue runs here in the Midwest, which I've been skiing on since day one. He thinks I have the ability, but I don't feel ready nor confident. Until I have more control, I'll stick with mountain green runs.

I feel that the rental equipment (men's) hasn't done me justice. My shins hurt immediately, knees feel like they don't flex as well as they should, boots feel too tall, etc. Ski's don't turn as responsively as I would like them to (although the newer, shorter skis are nicer). They also don't flex the way I need them to.

Can you please help recommend skis for me? Will buying a woman's ski really make a huge difference? I've been looking at Head, K2, and Blizzard women's designs and think I'll need a short ski, too - perhaps between 143 and 149 cm due to my experience and physical size.....However, I would like to try a used pair to reduce the cost to me as I learn and work my way up to a more advanced ski. Any recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads NewSkiGal, snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads, NewSkiGal snowHead

I've been ski-ing for 1 or 2 weeks a year for the last 6 years, we got boots around week 4. I got skis before the beginning of the last season and my wife got them at the end. I'd say boots were the definite purchase and it's worth seeing what the effect of better fitting boots is on controlling your skis. Good skis can make a huge difference on icy slopes - but you can acheive this by renting.

Personally I really like having my own skis, the economic arguments are pretty marginal for someone doing the amount we do, but it's nice to have a constant and the skis I have are a bit beyond my skiing ability - which makes life fun. As for specific skis - my wife got K2 Burnin' Luvs but shes been skiing a while longer than you and is taller and heavier.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkiGal, welcome to snowHeads.

It may be worth asking an instructor that you've skied with what they think would suit you best. My experience has been that many women in a similar position to yourself tend to underplay their abilities. Like Hoppo said, boots are the most important item, and should be bought first.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi NewSkiGal, Compared to me you've got oudles of experience. This lot pursuaded me that boots were the best first buy and after my first really good week on skis last Feb (the last 2 weeks were about 10yrs ago and I got no-where) I've just bought some for this year's trip.

Maybe you could get some boots first, and then you could try some different skis from a shop with the constant of having your own fitted boots before buying those that you get on well with. It would also have the advantage of spreading the cost a little. Just and idea from a complete Novice so don't place any store on it as advice. Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boots first, helmet next and skis last. As you are in the US, unlike most of us, and are probably driving to a local hill, buying skis at a relatively early stage probably does make sense. Those lengths sound a bit short to me for someone athletic and likely to advance quickly. Spend a bit more renting better quality skis when you have got your boots sorted, and perhaps buy some ex-demos?

Don't you have lots of ski swap-meets/sales over there?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NewSkiGal, .....welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NewSkiGal, great advice from everyone. Well fitted boots are the priority. I think you want to buy skis and that is not a bad idea. My wife has a pair of Sweet Luvs mainly for piste use. She 'luvs' them! They are light and easy to turn and as you advance your skills they can be used fo moguls and off-piste too. For your size and ability I would go for around 155-160cm ski length.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your advice! I think I will take you up on that and start looking for a good pair of boots. This way, I can continue to gain valuable experience so when it comes time to buy the skis, I am making a smarter purchase. I don't think I'll ever be a black diamond skiier, but I'm not ruling it out. However, I would like to advance to the point where I can comfortably tacke the blue mountain runs. Where does a lady begin here? Any boot brands that stand out for women?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NewSkiGal,
Quote:

Any boot brands that stand out for women?

Buy what fits best but make sure you can still flex them. Don't buy ones too stiff.
Find a good bootfitter and take their advice, be as honest with your ability level as possible.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy