Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Treating Gore-Tex

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was hoping to find out the definitive way of reviving Gore-Tex and keeping it going year after year. I keep reading posts where people mention that there jacket is still going after 5, 10 or more years. I have not had the same experience. I own three jackets, one Gore-Tex, one Gore-Tex Paclite and One Gore-Tex XCR (This one is new and doesn't need any attention) The other two seem to have lost their water repellency. I have washed both of the (seperately) in a 40C wash using th Nik-Wax Tech wash. I made sure the machine had a rinse cycle before putting them in. At this stage the material is not back to its best. Do I need to "re-activate" the Gore=tex in some way? I have heard tht you can put them in a dryer on a ow setting and this can have that effect. How precious do you hve to be about it? My dryer doesn't have a low setting. Can I use a hairdryer to heat it up or put it near a radiaor?

Your handy hints would be very welcome.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nik-Wax do TX-Direct which you use after the Tech Wash to 'Add water repellancy & revieve breathability'. Recommended for Gore-tex. Also try looking at the Nikwax website the last time I went to it, I did a survey and got sent some free samples.
I've used it and it makes noticable difference to water repellancy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I agree with janette. The TechWash will have made it nice and clean, but without then using TXdirect there is nothing to make it more water repellent.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
also many regular detegents leave residue in washing machine... which can affect garment... i usually run wash machine on empty first to remove any residues... (moreso if fabric softener etc has been used)

I wash and iron my goretex regularly... tumble dry sometimes... and DWR reapply once a season or so...

same jacket has been skiing 50-70 days a season, bushwalking, canoeing, bikeriding, etc etc for about 8 years and is just on its way out (cuffs fraying etc)....

goretex membrane still works fine... just getting some areas i am struggling to get DWR to stay put
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh the orange tech wash stuff is cheaper and i have found works the best
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mines circa 1987 and its still good - never been washed though. Its a bit different than my pants, that are this years material, which is much lighter.

Even in rain its waterproof.. but then I ski at a whopping 7mph Shocked rolling eyes NehNeh snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RoboGeek wrote:
Mines circa 1987 and its still good - never been washed though

Shocked never had a wash in 20 years, does it walk out the door by itself?

Tech Wash first and then use TX for re-proofing. Works fine with no risk, although I'm sure there are many alternatives.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster, lol.. no.. the jacket sees nothing but snow.. but don't ask about my 12 yr old long underwear.. Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy