Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin tips Vs normal ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am off the austria tomorrow and am thinking about, trying to do a swap with me rental ski's half way though the week.
What is the diffrence between the two types of skis, in terms of just skiing about on/off piste. I know that the twin tips are for more freesttle skiing, and would like to start doing a few more jumps. I assume that normal ones will carve better, and be more stable at high speeds and twin tips not so. Any help appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You only need twin tips if you want to go backwards. I had 1080s but didn't go backwards. I've got forwards skis now.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chris1989, I think twin tips are a bit softer as well - go on do the swap, have some fun, and come back here and tell us the difference.

snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
While any instructor will delight in proving to u that any ski can be skied backwards, twins make it much easier for us lesser mortals, especially if there's a bit of loose snow around. Why would u want to? Well, off piste, especially when cover is a bit thin, I have often found moments where the easiest thing to do was to reverse a few feet to position myself for the next turn: most useful considering the alternatives.
If you are doing jumps, landing switch on normal skis is a very risky process for obvious reasons.

Thing is though, there are so many twins out there now that it's a whole world of choice within itself. Longer/shorter, fatter/thinner, stiffer/softer, deeper/shallower sidecut: U could spend a week just trying out different twins to compare!

Some twins carve really well but on the whole I'd say that because they tend to have a more symetrical shape to them, they encourage U to sit a shade more centrally to get the perfect carve for the ski. U can see this if you look at the typical body positions of good freestylers compared against racers. The result is a slightly more 'chilled' stance - or mabe it just looks that way cos of their baggy shreds! Wink

One to check out is the Rossi Scratch FS (not the BC) if u want to start getting off the ground more.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin,
Quote:
The result is a slightly more 'chilled' stance - or mabe it just looks that way cos of their baggy shreds!
Boss has raised a good point - you're not allowed to be seen on twin tips without baggy shread!
Seriously though - I find even normal uni-directional skis are perfectly good for moving backwards to sort myself out, especially as even most uni-directional skis are still turned upwards at the tail to an extent sufficient to allow them to glide backwards. A mate and I though had a "falling leaf" race where we both had to do the same number of forward and reverse traverses of a set length and my 1080s thrashed his hire shop GS skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok, thanks i think i will try to swap them , at least for a day or 2 just to feel the diffrence for myself. Thanks for the replys, and ill let you know how i got on when i get back. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy