Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand Luggage over weight? A solution.....

Poster: A snowHead
Hand Luggage over weight? A solution.....perhaps from yesterdays Times newspaper by Mathew Parris

Quote:
cagoule with a DVD, two books, my toilet bag, three handkerchiefs and the chargers for my mobile phone

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1065-2564373,00.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing Laughing I do like Mathew Paris. Would have been topped of by him putting on some ski boots.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
...... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ......

......definitely my kind of humour.....well worth a read & perhaps another tip for Ray Mears.... Toofy Grin

"My affections for Ryanair, with its thrilling disregard for whingeing passengers, vary according to mood and circumstance."

Reader, you can have no idea of the joy this whole episode has afforded your childish columnist.

(Extracted from & all credits due etc, etc.: Matthew Parris: My Week)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So. Ryanair have impractical hand-luggage weigh restrictions, BA operate from an airport operating at near max capacity (Heathrow hiccups awfully over what would be a relatively minor problem elsewhere), and have industrial relations from a bygone age.

It's not perfect, but Easyjet has become my preferred airline.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, ....... where's the fun in having a perfect journey ........who wants to check in stress-free, with no baggage hassle, no rudeness, no agression, no voting for Miss Charisma of 2007, no hightened blood pressure & primeval urges to kill a fellow human being....?

Boring....boring.....

...... spice life up by travelling CryingAir ....... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great read.

The tip about being able to re-pack your hand luggage (and make it heavier!) after check-in is useful. In fact, what's to stop you having a whole bundle of heavy "extras" to add to your hand luggage kept by your mate out of sight of the check-in desk?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick L, there is nothing stopping you, in fact in recent years I have developed the ultimate in hand luggage packing. Pack all your heavy items in carrier bags inside your bag and when you are waiting in the check in queue take them out and put in the basket of the trolly and cover with your coat. repack when checked in.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
It's not perfect, but Easyjet has become my preferred airline.

Easyjet now weigh skis & baggage, and even if you've paid your £15, you max weight for both bags is now 32kg.

My summary is that all airlines have their quirks, you just need to be aware of the total cost & quirks when booking tickets.

regards,

greg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick L wrote:
Great read.

The tip about being able to re-pack your hand luggage (and make it heavier!) after check-in is useful. In fact, what's to stop you having a whole bundle of heavy "extras" to add to your hand luggage kept by your mate out of sight of the check-in desk?

Easyjet from Liverpool last week insisted on only one piece of hand luggage, backed up by the security gate, so any "extra" bags had to be fitted into the one hand luggage bag!

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
recently did a week in St. anton flying ryaniar to friedchicken..

my mate got stung £20 for "over-weight baggage" - by 5 or 6kg, and then a quick bit of maths proved I was at least 25kg heavier than he was....

it's all just revenue generation...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fat or Overweight people should pay more or check in for flights from Cargo depot.

Otherwise lets them check BMI at checkin. Anyone Overweight: >25.00 Pays more Very Happy

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/healthyactive/publishing.nsf/Content/your-bmi
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
daehwons wrote:
Nick L, there is nothing stopping you, in fact in recent years I have developed the ultimate in hand luggage packing. Pack all your heavy items in carrier bags inside your bag and when you are waiting in the check in queue take them out and put in the basket of the trolly and cover with your coat. repack when checked in.

I was going to type this but was well beaten to it. Carrier bags the flyers friend. It's brilliant if you can get those used by shops in the duty free, Dixons etc as they can't complain at boarding.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton, as much as I don't want to bring this up again are you going to ask the all blacks for extra money as they are over weight, shall I inform intensive care?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess the all-blacks don't fly ryanair...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly wrote:
stanton, as much as I don't want to bring this up again are you going to ask the all blacks for extra money as they are over weight, shall I inform intensive care?

are you a relative of jade goody Embarassed
ski holidays
jase2472 wrote:
Swirly wrote:

are you a relative of jade goody Embarassed

He said the ALL BLACKS (i.e. rugby) rolling eyes
snow report
daehwons wrote:

Definately not picking on you deahwons but yours was the most succinct post to address my point Little Angel

Does it not concern anyone else just how much weight you are putting above your head? Now I admit I am a bit of a doom-monger on aircraft safety, in that why take the chance if you dont have to, but over the years there have been a lot of injuries including deaths from hand luggage dropping on people in both turblance and in aircraft crashes Confused Some of the worst when people have adopted the crash position (think which bit of your head/neck is now exposed to above.) Shocked

Ultimately I only really care when it takes two people to lift whatever it is into the locker OVER MY HEAD - put it over yours! Toofy Grin . I think the airlines are being a bit irrisposible in their quest to employ less baggage handling facilities and get more stuff in the passenger cabin. How much stuff do you really need for a 1hr flight?
ski holidays
Quote:

Easyjet now weigh skis & baggage, and even if you've paid your £15, you max weight for both bags is now 32kg.

Just for accuracy, it costs £15 each way for skis - soon it'll be cheaper to buy my skis a seat - and then I'll get twice the baggage allowance?!
latest report
PamG, Good point I wonder if you could buy a seat for your ski's, certainly I have just paid 9.99 for a seat to Geneva Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin, have they got a passport?
latest report
Elizabeth B, Maybe I could knock up a photo id for them Laughing
snow report
But would they need one each? And how would you distinguish them from each other?
snow report
Elizabeth B, Would the average Easy Jet hostess care Puzzled wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, I'd hate to talk about the "average easyJet hostess" on here. The "non-average easyJet hostess" who frequents here might object wink
ski holidays
Elizabeth B wrote:
boredsurfin, I'd hate to talk about the "average easyJet hostess" on here. The "non-average easyJet hostess" who frequents here might object wink

Liz, I know but she's away at the mo wink
latest report
pielot wrote:
How much stuff do you really need for a 1hr flight?

That's not really the point, the point is how much stuff do you need when the airport/airline lose your checked luggage. Have you been to Heathrow terminal 4 recently?
As far as luggage falling on your head - I'm pretty sure whoever designed and qualified the luggage lockers designed them to cope with a certain weight, this is probably far more than you could actually get in it, I'm sure the airlines wouldn't/couldn't let you do anything that would exceed this.

On another point. The airlines generally allow 1 bag plus a laptop bag, secuity only allows one bag total. Does anyone know if both comply to the airline weight restriction individually, then for security you can squeeze them into the one security compliant bag (right size, even though it may now weigh 15kg or so!!), whether you can get away with this?
snow report
Quote:

I'm sure the airlines wouldn't/couldn't let you do anything that would exceed this.

Hmmm rolling eyes
I am unfortunate enough to have been privvy to some interesting presentations on aviation pathology. The case examined in detail was the Kegworth Crash ( a long time ago now -granted) But the most interesting slide was a seating plan showing a colour coded guide to the injuries - most of the RED seats were in the aisle - for the reasons above Sad . The airlines do their 'bit' but if they were really concerned about what weight was going in the overhead stowage they would weigh your bag after you've been to duty free.

As I said Its really up to you, do what you like, but dont be surprised if I ask you to put it over your own head and not mine - It has been known!

Sadly I have had baggage delayed at heathrow ( ironically after it had made it safely through 5 connecting flights elsewhere in the world!). The airport are more than happy for airlines to encourage a reduction in hold baggage as its better for them. My solution thus far is to pack mine and the OH bags with a split of kit which will allow us to ski if one of the bags is lost (although one of us will have to hire boots.)

Sorry, I think this must be one of my most doom ridden posts ever but there you are. On a lighter note only 6 weks 'till I get to put my theory into practice snowHead
snow conditions
Flying out of any uk airport now - and you wont be able to take any more then 1 bag - its not just Easyjet that are saying that - its every airline as security will just not let you through with any more then 1 bag!! which is getting very annoying for us check in staff as we seem to get the blame!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy