Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

detune tips and tails

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you ever detune the tips and tails, where do you start from?
I assume it would have to be parts of the edge that actually come into contact with the snow. Say on groomers, the actual tip probably never touches the snow ?!

I also know most don't recommend doing this as the skis are designed to carve but was just interested...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the past I would do the first 10 cm of the tip/shovel just back from the end of the curve and likwise 10 cm of the tails, then ski them and see if they grab. I once had a pair of Dynastar Softs that needed nearly 30 cm to stop them grabbing, the tips were far too soft and would not release, they gave me some spectacular falls over the outside edge. Now I sharpen the edges from tip to tail and don't touch them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't bother with modern skis, they're short enough as it is. I used to detune 205 cm GS skis tip and tail, starting from near the tip and going back about 10 cm behind the snow contact point.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, Detuning used to be done over the contact area, ie where the base edge, the side edge & the snow meet - say an inch either side of the point.

Don't detune modern shaped skis but if you find they're a bit grabby just add a tad more base edge angle in the same area so that you still have a full length sharp edge, bit one that feeds in more gently.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, What do you mean by 'grabby?'
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rpft, for some a full length sharp edge can 'grab' the snow as the engages too quickly/suddenly - sort of like an on/off switch rather than a gradual engagement. This effect is often enhanced when the ski also has a shallow base edge angle. Slalom skiers will often like this characteristic.

Many manufacturers, whilst not actually dulling the tips, don't actually fully sharpen the edges the full length so if that's required it has to be done by hand.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, thanks, def. beyond my experience - the expression 'cherries to pigs' springs to mind here! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy