Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the point in buying your own skis then hiring others because you're worried about scratches?

Poster: A snowHead
This seems a bit bizarre - I see that some of you buy your own skis and then, when you fear there might be a rock or two about, you go all precious and hire some so you don't scratch yours! Wouldn't you be better to use your own favourite skis and if you do get a bit of a gash just spend a couple of quid and a few minutes on fixing it? After all, what's the point in having your own if you ain't going to use them. It seems a bit, well you know, gay! And on top of that you're wasting more money on hiring that you could equally well use for a few good services on your own gear. Do you own a car and then hire another to go to Tescos in case someone dents your door in the carpark?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petemillis, It is a bit mad anyway because hire shops are within their rights to collar you for some cash if you seriously mangle their skis - after all, they've probably had an imprint of your card. These days I really can't be ars*d with lugging skis when VIP level skis at, say, yer typical Austrian Intersportrent are so darn well prepared and bang up to date... and they'll gladly swap 'em or tune them each night if you bung them some beer money. So, I only rent - blimey, what does that mean for my sexual orientation?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ahhh, now renting only to save lugging skis is good and I understnad that a lot of skiers are rentboys. But for someone to buy their own dream skis, happily lug them around, and then rent in case they get scratched - well that's what seems daft Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

It seems a bit, well you know, gay!

Very popular in Brighton then...
lets get some PCness in here at once
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
petemillis, Agreed, I took my brand new skis out over Christmas and scratched them a bit 15euros had them looking like new again.

I like to have my own skis as I know them and don't have to waste time in hire shops. As I'm not a complete ski freak they only get changed every 5 years or so, so work out cost effective.

That said can see the benefits of hiring!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I'd rather lug than hire...the advantages for me are that you can jump right on them and go rather than faff around in hire shops.. you know they work, you know they are the right size and off you go. especially if going for long weekends..means you can ski all afternoon down to your car, car park change and drive off..

However some of the conditions in the resorts (as per photies published here) look like it's grass skiing rather than snow skiing.. perhaps at that point I might look at getting some rentals for a few days.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not bothered about top sheet scratches (the more the better as they look old and less likely to be nicked) but base/edge damage in bad conditions is another thing.

I have a pair of "rock skis" i.e. older skis that I'm not too concerned about damaging. If conditions are bad and I only had a good pair of skis with me I'd probably rent as serious damage to the ski can kill it. If I killed a rental ski chances are I would pay less than shop cost instead of having to pay full price to replace my own skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was glad that the ski that I utterly mangled against a fir tree was rental - and more than grateful for its crumple zone.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can see that in bad (rocky) conditions you ight want to save your own skis.

I read a post on a car forum fromm someone who, with his wife, owned two cars. In order to keep the mileage down for resale, when they travelled abroad they hired cars; not just from the airport, but to drive from home to where they were going. How sad is that? They clearly hadn't got the hang of it all. (We're not talking classic cars here - it was a Ford Galaxy forum!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends what you're doing - a blown edge will cost more than 15 euro to mend & could result in you scrapping a new pair of skis. Take out "insurance" i.e. surcharge on a pair of rentlas and do what you want with them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Always take our own when we drive, have hired on a short (4 day) trip when flying to save baggage costs and for a bit of variety. It can be fun to try out different skis and compare to your own favourites. If I thought conditions were really bad I'd probably either not bother, or hire rather than trash my own, but a few scratches are easily solved with a bit of P-tex, an Edge tune, and some guidance from Spyderjon snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Speaking of insurance - I'm going to check if my winter sports insurance covers my own skis. I saw a mention a short while back of some insurance policies covering full cost for damage and half cost for theft.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond,
Quote:

it was a Ford Galaxy forum

Is that a faint cry for help?

I guess there are loads of parallel circumstances... I mean, when things get rocky, dare you risk damaging your cherished wife when you can always rent a more up-to-date, freshly-serviced model?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, agreed - still would rather have my own and if trashed my insurance (travel) covers it. Would then get my own pair.

It is a completely personal thing - I like having my own skis
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

if trashed my insurance (travel) covers it
Laughing best of luck and I'm sure everyone would love to know who insures you. I imagine that would fall under wear and tear or they'd hit you with the "you should always act as if you weren't insured" catch-all get-out. Either way, after excess and the single-item limit clause, you'd be lucky to get much recompense.
snow report
Have bought, now hire. I like travelling Light. snowHead
ski holidays
Paint mine to avoid theft , Only worried about bases .
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, they're covered for theft though wink
ski holidays
I am not worried about anything tops or bottoms they are skis use them,
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
How sad is that? They clearly hadn't got the hang of it all. (We're not talking classic cars here - it was a Ford Galaxy forum!)
And that from a man surfing a Ford Galaxy Forum Shocked
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, yes, well, quite. I don't anymore, of course. I hope that you appreciate the extent to which I am prepared to bare my soul to bring fascinating tit bits to this forum.
ski holidays
richmond, Very Happy . Have you considered applying to be in the next big Brother household.
latest report
richmond wrote:
I can see that in bad (rocky) conditions you ight want to save your own skis.

I read a post on a car forum fromm someone who, with his wife, owned two cars. In order to keep the mileage down for resale, when they travelled abroad they hired cars; not just from the airport, but to drive from home to where they were going. How sad is that? They clearly hadn't got the hang of it all. (We're not talking classic cars here - it was a Ford Galaxy forum!)

And I thought that things had reached rock bottom when you admitted to working for big tobacco. wink Laughing
snow report
Use and abuse, Use and abuse.

Worst case scenario, break one or trash an edge, buy some new planks in resort and fit your old bindings. Break-even point vs hire is about 3 weeks of skiing. I have taken off one edge in about 50 weeks skiing. It's a no brainer.
snow conditions
Just had my brand new Fischer RX8s scratched to high heaven today. £25 euros to repair and full service.
snow report
Owning skis costs more. But it is worth the premium.

No hanging around overcrowded rental stores. No uncertainty about what models may or may not be available. No half-hearted service from stroppy staff getting paid 1 Euro an hour.

If your own skis break, just pick up a new pair from the fine selection on offer at most mountain restaurants. *

* Just kidding, before the usual redfaced bluster brigade get on their high horses and start whingeing wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy