Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are Fischer RX8's suitable for...

Poster: A snowHead
me ?

I'm a level 6 skier (on S&R's scale). Just done 1 bulgarian black run. Skied LDA glacier in the summer when it was covered in large patches of ice and the instructor said "if you can ski this you can ski anything". and I've gone slightly off piste (down the side of the piste) and that seemed easy.

But I'm still not carving properly, my tails are skidding and I'm blaming the fact that my Rossi B2's are too long, so I'm selling them.

I've been offered new Fischer RX8's with FS11 Railflex 2 bindings (at a hard to refuse price) - would they be too much for me ?

(...yes, I have booked more lessons)

RX8's for me, or will they be too much of a handful at slower speeds ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends on how big you are. they felt like a pretty forgiving ski - didn't feel all that "high performance" to me when i tried them out. this was at a snowdome so maybe not the best place to judge. that said, i'm pretty big (95 kgs) and i normally ski on quite stiff, demanding (probably too demanding... Confused ) skis
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mike.healy, They are a piste ski. Now apparently good skiers can ski of piste on skinny skis, so that may not be a problem Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mike.healy, My response may start WW III but there we go. I've bought RX8s, I'm probably not as expert skier as you and I absolutely love them but they do (as with those 'bit' more advanced skis) appear to enjoy a reasonable technique although they can, and do, skid.

I suspect you'll find that some of the instructors here will suggest to you that the skidding is nothing to do with your B2s, so don't be surprised to be still skidding on new skis -- apart from those skis which 'won't' and you'd hate them!

To echo FTS, they are however relatively narrow so if off-piste is your 'goal' then there are probably better skis for that (B2??!!)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 6'0" but just 144 lbs, so yes a bit of a bean pole.

Frosty the Snowman, Ellis Brigham also reckon these are Ok for some off piste.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I loved the Fisher Rx8s when I tried them out at Castleford- and they struck me as an absolutely superb on-piste ski. easiski has a pair, and loves them. BUT if you are skidding when you mean to carve, you still will - a good instructor will help you put that right. I recommend a dollop of easiski.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mike.healy, This man from EB was he trying to sell you something at the time? Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any intermediates out there on Rx8's ? (or is this like admitting to being middle class - oops don't lets go off topic people )

Agenterre, It wsn't a salesman, the EB webste says they will do off piste. So there must be a grain of truth in it, I've also seen it in several reviews (I know they could all be written by Fischer employees)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mike.healy, easiski was skiing well on them last week on breakable crust, but the she is a tad lighter than I am. Embarassed I should think they will work in powder - but obviously you'll have a harder time than you would on a wider ski.

Not sure what you meant about the intermediate bit. If you are skidding, you are not carving properly.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, What length did you try ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agenterre, easiski skis off piste on her RX8s very frequently.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mike.healy, 6' 4", 270lbs, distinctly intermediate.

I have tested all types of skis at various snowheads events. At Les Deux Alpes on the glacier at the Mondial dou ski I tested a pair of Elan World Cup GS pro skis, which thought they were a Ferrari and I was Michael Schumacher, my size helped me bend them and they were great fun, but on a tight steep run where quicker turns would be needed.....no thanks. Apart from those speed machines the RX8 is the best thing I have ever skied. If I was a more aggressive skiere I would go for the RX9.... but I'm not. They skid fine, but for the best results learn how to carve properly Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe this is a topic for discussion in its own right but I always interpret manufacturers' claims of "off piste" suitability to be based on how they perform in deepish untracked snow be it powder, corn etc. As most visitors to Europe this year will testify "off-piste" can actually mean boilerplate blue ice, wind polished, maybe very heavy soggy crap as well as the above.

So the RX8 would probably perform just fine in many offpiste conditions if you were brave enough to attempt them I'd guess.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How good a deal? the local sports chain is selling RX8's for 224 Euros, thats about 150 quid.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, and I'm not easiski !! Given her experience and quals I should imagine she can ski anything anywhere to a better standard than most here, she's no intermediate!

My info comes from 'Skireview.com', where it is rec. for the groomed and icy conditions.... I have skied them where I can but 'off-piste' wasn't an option earlier this season (well it was cos it was like the groomed apart from a few bits of crusty stuff) and I don't do off piste anyway (yet).

mike.healy, I'm a Beginner-Intermediate as well and I love them

Frosty the Snowman, or any of the other RX8 owners here ( a lot of us) taken the ski off piste a lot?
snow conditions
Agenterre, Only when I've failed to stop at the edge Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, and I thought I was the only one who would admit that ... mind you I can also claim a 100m foray having gone the wrong way whilst approaching a pre-arranged lunchstop! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Agenterre, I tell a lie. I was actually a member of Kramers legendary off piste expedition aat the EoSB. Althought the snow was not deep powder it was the greatest thing I have done on skis so far. That 13 hrs, well 20 mins Embarassed will remain with me forever. In fact we formed a sort of Brotherhood, a premanent bond that will never weaken, we passed through the eye of the storm and emerged as one. At the end, we all knew why people risk everything for that one perfect line.
snow report
DB, With Bindings ? What is the name of the shop ?

I've seen £265 with bindings.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
In fact we formed a sort of Brotherhood, a premanent bond that will never weaken, we passed through the eye of the storm and emerged as one. At the end, we all knew why people risk everything for that one perfect line.

Poetic and beautifully expressed ... but it did little for Kramer's digestion did it Shocked wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, RRRRRespect! Cool
snow report
Agenterre,
The Off piste expedition was like a superb meal; it lasted, it lingered, it got better the longer it went on, and I could taste it the next morning. When it was over my appetite had been sated.
The race was like sex: It was thrilling, it was fast, it was physical, it was over very quickly, but I didn't come first Cool
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Now you're telling porkies; I have it on reliable authority vis-a-vis The Race:-

a) You came before most of the other blokes and before any other married man
b) You were knackered afterwards and couldn't walk for a week and
c) No women came before you which begs LOTS of questions( you may need to reflect on Kramer's current 'location')
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, this isn't helping my decision
latest report
Agenterre, A & C are both untrue Very Happy
snow report
mike.healy,I'm sorry for the hijack Embarassed . Hope these comments helped Very Happy
Quote:

have tested all types of skis at various snowheads events.

Quote:

the RX8 is the best thing I have ever skied.

Quote:

mike.healy, 6' 4", 270lbs, distinctly intermediate.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, only kidding, your posts are often very amusing.

What length RX8 are/were you on - i'm 4" shorter than you but almost half your weight.
snow report
mike.healy wrote:
Frosty the Snowman ..... - i'm 4" shorter than you but almost half your weight.

How to make friends and influence people? wink Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, its maths not judgement - i am skinier than most
ski holidays
mike.healy, think i had them in a 165
latest report
mike.healy, 175cm. I dont think they do them in a 87.5cm wink
ski holidays
DB, is it in Vienna, Austria or Manchester ?
snow report
I honestly don't think new skis are going to help your skidding issue at all. It should be possible to carve on B2s, I've heard rumours it can be done Wink
Seriously though it isn't the skis, even if they are too long.
snow conditions
I ski on the RX8s. I've skis about 13 weeks so I'm an intermediate. I think the skis are great for skiing hard on piste. Off piste-Hmmm. This may be a reflection on my skiing. Someone like easiski can probably skis off psite on anything (I think she skis on a full blown Fischerslalom ski not the RX8 but I might be wrong). They are good skis for skiing hard and fast on piste. I ski in 175 length. I'm 6ft 3 and jsut under 141/2 stone. they have good edge hold in icy conditions
snow report
dan100, I thought easiski had some RC4 WC or similar. Definitely black with bright green writing back in november.
snow conditions
mike.healy wrote:
DB, is it in Vienna, Austria or Manchester ?

I'll send you a PM with the details.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 26-01-07 13:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, yes - I thought that too. Proper race skis for easiski
snow report
Arno, Frosty the Snowman, I was pretty sure that easiski skied RC4s also, but didn't like to question someone who had skied with her .. was it last week? Toofy Grin
latest report
easiski wrote:
........ For instance I have Fischer WC SCs for everyday wear; Zag Le Rouge for those off pisty days; a pair of first generation snowblades in case I get called to do a snowblade lesson; a pair of mini-skis (139) but also a pair of Volkl P50s for rock hoppers and a new (thanks Snowskisnow) pair of Wedzes in 129. ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=463240&highlight=fischer#463240
snow conditions
I am getting quite keen these RX8's.

I'm 168 lbs, athletic 53year old, about a level 5/6 (1 bulgarian black run so far - until 12 days time).

I think that B2 174's were too big for me - though many might disagree.

I am thinking either 165 or 160 RX8's.

I need some help with the length, what do you think ?

Mike
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy