Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quality of rental skis ?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In your opinions, what is the difference in quality between a beginner ski and an intermediate ski in the rental shops?
Obviously, there's advanced but I think for that price you should be buying your own skis and boots anyway!

I asked this in a shop once before and they just said better binding, better quality ski but that could anything and everything in between due to all the different ski makes, etc.

Do you reckon the shops actually service these skis much? SOunds like people ride the poo-poo out of them for a week and hand them back all damaged or gorged. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

SOunds like people ride the poo-poo out of them for a week and hand them back all damaged or gorged

yes...
your point is...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't type the word poo-poo. I said S H I T godammit !
My question is:
what is the difference in quality between a beginner ski and an intermediate ski in the rental shops?

I got sidetracked rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've usually found them all to be serviced well enough. My wife is a beginner and last time she hired she was given a fairly decent set of intermediate type skis that allowed her to do exactly what she wanted to do. I hired Salomon 1080 Foil skis (classed as Advanced) for myself back at end of March in La Clusaz and I certainly didn't have any problem with them condition wise - - the edges were good, the bases were good and they had been properly waxed. They certainly weren't gorged - well they are quite fat skis but certainlty not gorged. They didn't have any gouges out the bases either. I hired them from Au Sportif and it was only 60 Euros for the week. Boots would have been an extra 30 Euros but I had my own with me anyway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But do you think the beginner skis enable you to do less than an intermediate or advanced pair?
I skied a few years back on some beginner skis - seemed fine (this was after a break of many years without skiing).
Then the last time I had intermediate skis as I had got most of my skills back.
The intermediates seemed like they had better edge hold but nothing that drastic.

There must be something in it ?!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, like other skis I would imagine that "beginner" skis are literally easier to ski on, but less performant (i.e. less edge grip, less capable of handling speed, etc.) than "intermediate" skis.

Whether a beginner or intermediate would necessarily notice a huge difference is an entirely different story, no offense intended in any way. After all, you noticed the difference didn't you?

Oddly, my favourite ski shop anywhere (sorry SZK although yours, if it exists, is pretty special) don't class by ability but as "standard", "prestige" and "elite". The standard ones are "lower" level but also tend to be a bit older. Elite are usually from than season and no older than the previous season.

Except when there's no snow - I skied on a pair of 1950s Rossignols in a particularly bad season, although I was staff, getting them for free and wasn't going to use my own skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy