Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question Re Avalanche shovel blade

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I keep seeing people decrying the plastic blade shovels.

Question is has anybody really broken one of these?

Mine is lexan, yes plastic, but a rather special plastic at that and probably stronger than the alloy handle. Although I have only had this shovel for 17 years I have never had to use it in an emergency and long may that continue. However it has been used extensively for clearing terraces, digging out cars, clearing pavements and allowing kids to build snowmen whilst we enjoy a meal. After all this the only signs of damage are a few chips out of the front edge.
Anybody any proof???
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dypcdiver, ....... if you are looking for numbers then no... but I have seen 6, maybe 8 broken plastic blades and a couple of ally ones too......!

....avalanche debris can sometimes be like 40kn concrete, with the odd trees, branches, rocks etc stirred up in it. Plastic blades appear great for 'scooping' but if using the handle as leverage, they can snap easily. In saying that, I have only ever seen them snap up on the mountain, so extreme cold may very well be a factor in contributing to brittleness. I don't know enough about the composition of plastic blades, but they may also degrade if exposed to light for prologned periods. At 'only' 17 years your trusty blade must be made of stern stuff - they don't make em like they used to...... snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC,
Quote from the GE site who own the patent.
"Performance Properties

Impact Resistance
Provides the highest impact resistance of all GE thermoplastics - virtually unbreakable and remains tough at low temperatures"
Found this too.
"UV Stability
Resistant to ultraviolet light, allowing exterior use"

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 25-01-07 16:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always assumed that it was to do with the edge on the shovel blade?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I recently did an avalanche safety course and had a go digging with both plastic and metal bladed shovels. I don't now how easy it would be to break either, but I certainly found the aluminium blade a lot easier to dig with. A longer (telescopic) handle also helped a lot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GeorgeM, would you be able to recommend a particular make and type of shovel?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, ....I use this one

.......it is also very effective against unruly, flying boarders, as when stored in back pack, it provides an armour plated defence........ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find metal cuts through debris better than plastic - a bit like how an steel ice axe pick penetrates ice better than an aluminium one

i have an ortovox professional aluminium one. would recommend it but it's quite pricey
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is the one I have -

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/equipment/back_country_avalanche/products/BCA0003.htm

It did seem a lot more effective than the plastic bladed one I tried.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy