Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any decent bars+restaurants in Morzine?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi.
Can anyone suggest some good quality bars and restaurants in Morzine?

phil
snow report
 brian
brian
philgeorge999, send a private message to David Murdoch, ex-Morzine saisonnaire and all round bon viveur wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, you are too kind Sir. Here was I about to respond with a very facetious, "No!"

philgeorge999, Barwise, I like "Bar Boudda" (Booda, Buddha, ?) but it has become very popular in recent years. The "Irish Coffee" has had a resurgence since its nadir around 1988. Allegedly "Bar Robinson" is dead trendy but when I lived there it was only frequented by the SAT bus drivers so I have no personal experience. Otherwise the usual tourist haunts include Dixies and L'Etale.

Restaurantwise, L'Etale is actually a pretty reliable place. Le Matafan pleases, as does the restaurant attached to the hotel Phillibert. If you just want a burger, you would go very far wrong by not trying the burger bar just down from the pleney lift, (Opposite the famous Francois Baud Ski shop). They grind the burger in front of your eyes and make it as you like it. Fab.

Le grillon does a good pizza, and in fact was extended a few years ago up stairs and has a much more varied menu. For more up market nosh, La Chamade is pretty good.

More importantly, on the hill, for a decent lunch - La Terrasse at les Lindarets is by far and away my fave but I also recommend the big restaurant on the Nyon plateau (owner used to run the Etale but has stepped his pace up IMHO), Le tan'o Marmotte at Plaine Dranse, La Cremaillere (Lindarets),....etc.

Obviously I've never been there before in my life...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I generally I found that although there are several bars in Morzine, they are all fairly quiet. Perhaps the one at the bottom of the main street near the river was the best of them all. Good Luck. How much snow will you be able to get into your ruck sack anyway?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kezzy1966, ???? You were there in November perchance?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, David, an unrelated question, but what's the best way to get from Morzine to the Ardent gondola. Is that served by a ski bus, or are there taxis capable of taking 4 people and their skis up there. If the latter would you have an idea of the cost, or even do any local operators that you could recommend for when I'm over there next week?

Your local knowledge would be apprecited,

R
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a free ski-bus from Morzine to Ardent bus it's infrequent - once every hour I think?
There's a timetable on the http://www.morzine.com website (go to the maps page)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philgeorge999, thanks, I'm not a big fan of bus travel, thus my taxi enquiry, but the timetable will be useful.

R
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27, I know, bus travel is sooo tiresome. Sadly though, unlike St Moritz, Morzine is badly served by taxis so bus or hire car it will have to be. Rather old fashioned I know but one could always ski, via Super Morzine, to Ardent. Very Happy

cheers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zzz, Normally of course I'd get Parker to drive us round in the Rolls, but I've given him the weekend off, thus I'm having to consider slumming it in a cab! wink

I had thought the Super Morzine area would not be open in current conditions, but if that's skiable then it certainly sounds the way to go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27 - Super Morzine is, indeed, currently skiable.

I agree with David Murdoch on L'Etale - which is one of our favourite places to eat.

I disagree with David Murdoch on La Chamade. Personally, I like any restaurant that does what it does with integrity - I enjoy a good chipper as much as a Michelan star restaurant - just as long as the chipper does good fish and chips and the posh place does sublime food and peerless service. Unfortunately, for me, La Chamade falls into the trap of thinking they're better than they are in all departments...

kezzy1966 - I presume you mean Rhodos, which has had a makeover this year. The lamb shank is very good wink

philgeorge999 - I'll add Chez Nannon to the list - on the mountain, in the Nyon sector of Morzine - just below the top of the Troncs lift.

For anyone in Les Gets - we ate in in Le Pic - opposite Bar Busch - this week. The food is superb - the best duck I've ever had.

Finally, La Poya in Avoriaz - just opposite the top of the Prodains cable car - is rapidly turning into our favoured luch spot. They invariably have an excellent dish of the day, plus dessert for 13€ - and the burgers are superb.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Chamade: Choose from the daily specials board - only shown outside - large portions of good food at half the price of the main courses on the standard menu!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morzine bars - Bar Robinson is heaving with mountain bikers in summer (they come for the Mutzig). Weird little place, no space inside, seems to be run by two old women. But - the Mutzig is great, just don't expect to be able to pedal back to your chalet. No idea what it's like in winter - I popped by last weekend (during lunch) and it was closed.. Normally go to the Buddha or the one next door when I physically can't get any more Mutzig down.. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton, OK, La Chamade do take themselves a little too seriously...fair point. But you have to celebrate a restaurant that has a whole section dedicated to ...

"His Majesty the Pig"

Although, most Savoyard restaurants seem to do so by default and manage to include their princesses the cheese, the tattie and the butter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch - if Mexican food is food origami - i.e. the same food just wrapped different ways - then I'm afraid to say that Savoyard food is merely pig, cheese, potatoes, butter and cream served in different combinations...

...although it is amazingly difficult to get a sublime tartiflette...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy