Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

weekend skiing with the other half who doesn't

Poster: A snowHead
just had a bit of a windfall Madeye-Smiley (forgotten insurance policy)and fancy splashing out on a weekend or mid week trip in late feb or early march
my other half doesn't ski but loves the mountain environment so any ideas for a bit of luxury for her and some great skiing for me
need to fly out of manchester or liverpool and transfer to resort by train or car (don't want to hire a car) a descent sized town with non skiing activities would be ideal
would love to go somewhere that might offer two or three day ski course so not skiing alone
also a convenient beginers area so i can have a go at getting wife back on skis
any suggestions would be great Smile
snow report
 brian
brian
Neilski, Zermatt has everything except the convenient beginners' area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
France - megeve/morzine or chamonix if she isnt going to ski
Switzerland-villars/crans
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
manchester to chambery with Jet2, then go to Bourg St Maurice - town for your missus, funicular up to Arc 1600 for you. 90 minute taxi transfer for ease or train if that's your choice
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neilski, Oo the suggestions above, I know that Zermatt or Megève would be good. Zermatt takes longer to get to (3.5 vs max 1.5 hrs). Zermatt would be by train, Megève by scheduled bus. Both are classy 'proper' Alpine villages.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt is indeed a fantastic spot for mountainophiles; the valley has something like thirteen 4000+m peaks around it, so plenty to look at.

I would also recommend my old favourite Kitzbuhel if they get any snow this season. It's nowhere near as spectacular as Zermatt, obviously, but it's pretty and several of the mountain restaurants are easily accessible by foot (at the minute, I suspect that they all are). There are a good number of marked walking and snowshoeing trails on the mountains. The town is (in the centre) very pleasant, plenty of bars and cafes, and a decent swimming pool.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, i am right in thinking zermatt is also gastronomic centre of the ski world(or so my mate tells me)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How much of a windfall? Go to Ischgl - hour or so transfer from Innsbruck, stay at the Trofana Royal. Luxury hotel, gastronomic cuisine, spa treatments, good sized town, beginners area as she steps off the gondola....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easyJet Liverpool - Basel

Train to Wengen. Loads of non-skiers there. Pretty village. Beautiful scenery. Other half can easily meet you for lunch by getting the train up the mountain.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neilski, Zermatt was not especially gastronomic when I was there, although I haven't been for many years. I'm sure that there are excellent restaurants, but at a price. For good grub for normal people, Courmayeur is pretty good. It's a lovely place, on and off the mountain. You have to take a cable car up to the ski base; I'm not sure where the nursery slopes are.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guvnor, already doing a week with my sons in ischgl in late march(really can't wait) hence the need to get out before that
budget should be about £1500 max for luxury weekend/mid week break cause she's worth it
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neilski wrote:
budget should be about £1500 max for luxury weekend/mid week break cause she's worth it

Which is why you're taking her, non skier, to a ski resort. Good man.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Neilski, Zermatt has some of the most renowned mountain restaurants, the Fluhalp, Chez Vrony etc. I think that's what your friend is probably alluding to. The downside being most of them are a bit awkward to get to for a non-skier Confused

Restaurants in the town are none too shabby either mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, wengen sounds good went to grindlewald a few years ago and loved it, what is the transfer time to wengen from basel
and can you recommend any nice hotels

richmond, she really wanted to go to paris but i said it would be far too cold at that time of year Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neilski wrote:
richmond, she really wanted to go to paris but i said it would be far too cold at that time of year Little Angel

Good work.
snow conditions
Neilski, Grindelwald would also work!!

Transfer time from Basel to Wengen is around 3 hrs (by train). There is an hourly service.

If you look at the MSB thread then there's details there about the Victoria Lauberhorn.....nice hotel!! The Sunstar always looks nice too. I've stayed in the Hirschen, which is a 2*...very friendly & nice, but basic.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saas Fee. Delightful village. Pretty good skiing a all levels for a week - and should be great for a beginner. Check out the Fereinart to stay, if you are flush with cash.
ski holidays
Neilski, Paris is very cold in late Feb. If you fancy a gourmet experience, the Hotel Alliey in Monetier-les-Bains, Serre Chevalier has a Michelin-starred restaurant, and a spa. Reasonable transfer from Turin or Grenoble, and the main hotel rooms are gorgeous.
ski holidays
thanks every one all sounds great
lots to think about
let you know what we end up booking
latest report
Look at Courmayer, just over an hour from Geneva through the tunnel, loads of taxi services from Geneva. Town is a foot of M Blanc great views, on the mountain loads reds and blues, good food in the huts.
The town is very smart, locals have a tradition of evening promenading, then they go to eat. Somereally good resturants in the town - it is Italy.
Aosta is 30 mins down road a roman townif other half wants to shop and sight see, you can ski in Pila which is 18mins by cable car from Aosta train station.
We had a week there a few years ago our 4th week of skiing and found it great.

If you want to try and get your wife skiing try Andorra, not as pretty or easy to get to, but the instruters are mainly Brits Aussies etc, with option of one 2 one tuition. There is also a ski club rep there soif a member you can ski with them each day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy