Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots in hand luggage

Have you successfully taken your ski boots on as hand baggage?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 26 ]
No
32%
 32%  [ 17 ]
50/50
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't know
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Voted : 52
Total Votes : 52

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Canada flying with BA and no problem taking my ski boots in my hand luggage. They did not even weigh my case.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BA always been very generous with hand luggage. Its normally the budget airlines that are the fussy ones!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skilegs, PatMan, I have been taking my skiboots in my handluggage for many trips on the budget airlines. Ever since my previous skiboots were lost in a small suitcase, which had been checked in---can't even remember which airline it was ---but the trip was to Sierra Nevada via Malaga airport. Luckily insurance paid compensation and I bought my current skiboots in the resort. Now I wouldn't want to let them out of my sight!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm feeling the urge to make this a poll Toofy Grin I've never tried taking boots on as hand baggage, but I like the sound of it - I guess if they don't like it at check-in then you just put them in the hold...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On Ryanair I take 1 boot on as hand luggage (in my rucksack), the other in my checked in luggage. Keeps me inside their paltry 15kg without too many questions.

Hoppo, make sure the poll covers that (I'm probably the only one) Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, I wouldn't dare do your method--(once bitten twice shy..!)--in case hold luggage is lost-- you'd have only one boot to ski in? Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got back at the weekend doing my usual thing just fine - wearing them on the plane (First Choice charter, Innsbruck-LGW). Admittedly they are touring boots, so have a reasonable sole for walking around in. No comment from any of the staff/customs/immigration in either direction, but the usual nods/winks/looks/"what-a-loony"-thought-bubbles around the terminals. Not sure I'd be quite so keen on doing that for a long haul flight though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have, but I arranged them into interlocking "L" shapes in a small suitcase that conformed to the size requirements for hand luggage.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How do you answer "don't know" to the poll? My memory is crap but hey ... wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMI Baby were fine about both me and my better half carrying our boots on as hand luggage to Geneva a couple of weeks ago.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does an answer "no" mean that people tried to take them on as hand-luggage but were turned away at some point and were not allowed to bring them on the plane that way?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Although EasyJet are generous with luggage allowance, they will not permit Ski Boots to be carried on as handluggage.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno although this might be their policy in practice it isnt always enforced

over Christmas we did Gatwick-Geneva and back with boots in hand luggage (MRS C's boots mind as they are a fair bit smaller than mine!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roger C, You were lucky then! There was a sign at the Bournemouth check-in saying 'No Ski-boots in Hand-luggage' My son also had to check his hand luggage into the hold as he had snowboard bindings in his bag, which weren't permitted either Confused

Also a cautionary note to those carrying laptops as hand-luggage - only one bag, so no handbag or other bags. Put your laptop & case into a larger bag ! We saw quite a few pwople being caught out with this one!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, three times:-

1) Fat Greek airlines NCE-GVA. Objections as I boarded so threatened to wear them following advice here - no further problem

2) BA - NCE-LGW .. no questions for Leamington snowHead fitting

3) BA - LGW-NCE ... no questions with new boots in old bag after being CEM/SZK'd

only first trip was in season, if that makes a difference.

Yes only one bag but then again I don't carry a laptop when I go skiing
snow report
I have taken my boots as hand luggage on Easyjet Bristol to Geneva and back for the last three years. It may be this year they are trying to raise more income as if you have to put the boots in the hold it would probally take you over the free 20 kilos limit. The Easyjet website is silent on the matter. What reason was given at check in for not taking boots as hand luggage?
snow report
IncogSkiSno, flew out of bournemouth last week with ski boots in hand luggage size case with no problems - was with Thomsonfly, but doubt the security people in the airport differentiate. Also flew Easyjet Bristol/Toulouse return weekend before xmas with no problems with boots in hand baggage:

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 26-01-07 22:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
riverman, I suspect that they wouldn't be able to charge you excess if you were within your limit on hand luggage. I's their decision not to let you carry them on.....
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, Well i will find out on Wednesday
snow report
riverman, I have no idea, the sign was at the EasyJet check-in, but I suspect Elizabeth B is correct in her assumptions. Confused
snow report
IncogSkiSno, Did they say why they were not allowing ski boots as hand luggage?
snow conditions
riverman Nope, but then I didn't ask, as we had booked our boots on. The dimensions for the hand-luggage on the website seemed too small to carry our boots anyway - but in fact the sizing bin at the checkout did seem big enough to hold a boot bag.

Another tip, if you want to ring EasyJet for an enquiry DON'T ring customer services, you'll get nowhere. I rang directly through to bookings and was connected straight away, and I then asked them relevant questions.
latest report
Never had a problem taking them as hand baggage/carry-on here in the States, even in the immediate vicinity of September 11.
snow report
To be honest - it depends which security person you have - as an airline the majority dont have a problem - but security at BRS where i work - some would let them through some wouldnt - its a grey area. You gotta think - if any overhead locker came open - and they fell on your head.......
snow report
Have had no problems with them when flying with Air France, Delta and United in the last 2 months, BUT they are in a carry-on case, not a boot bag, so it fits in the frame thing they have at check in.
latest report
Who cares? Seriously far too many people are getting worked up about boots in a bag! Puzzled
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, Good lunch then ? Toofy Grin or stuck in work ? Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Can't you just check them in as hold luggage separately from your other suitcase? I do this all the time on charter flights or is it that Easyjet, etc. only allow you one suitcase and 1 hand luggage bag ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GordonFreeman, my thoughts are: I can rent skis, I can borrow clothes, but my boots are, well, MY BOOTS - a lot of time, effort and money has gone in to getting them right for me, and I'd prefer not to lose them.
latest report
BA say that hand baggage should be no more than 6kg!
So when you've carried boots as hand luggage on BA, what have you hidden them in and are your boots particularly light?
Trying to work out what is best for trip to Switzerland where main bags are going to go by rail from Zurich, do we check in boots or try to get them to accept them as hand baggage?
snow report
janette, I tend to take my boots, camera, ipod, books, money and paperwork in the bag. Oh, and a hat and gloves. That's all.
snow report
janette, As mentioned above, the problem may not be at the check-in but at security. You may well be knocked back from there if they are not happy with the size.

snowHead
latest report
janette,
BA (transatlantic at least) weight requirement is that you can lift it unaided into the overhead locker. Took my boots as hand luggage on BA to Canada a few weeks ago, no problems. Also no problems at security.
snow report
Sage, yup, that's where you want a cabin bag, not a boot bag. Samsonite do good ones.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy