Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg 20-23rd Jan 2007

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Arno,

Did you think Engelberg was more expensive this year? ...it was a common theme for us, for example, the cheapo pizza have put their prices up and the Yuca has had a face-lift which is for the better but apart from the Stockli shop who gave me skis for 122chf for 5 days - which I still can't work out how - I thought the Engleberg star was dimming. I still have unfinshed biz on the Galitberg etc but we will not devote quite so much time to it. How long are your Eagles trips?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JT, it was a bit difficult finding cheap eats; not sure about prices in general though
my feeling on Engelberg (having been there for about 8 skiing days so I may not be the most qualified) is that it's definitely a place for easy access powder. there are lots of easy to access fun lines. there aren't so many big mountain routes which take most of the morning to do - you're really just restricted to the Galtiburg. the latter don't rely quite so much on good snow. so, in future, my inclination is to go to Engelberg if there is a big dump forecast just before or while I'm there; go to Andermatt otherwise
my ESC things are 4 days, but there are week-long trips too
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno,

4 day tasters sound good to me...just need the timing right Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So anyone else got any pics? Was it white in the village after I left????

That was my first trip to Engelberg, considering all the glacial off piste was shut, as was the Laub, I found it enjoyable Smile

regards,

Greg
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
since you asked, here's me nearing the end of a 45 min hike from Jochstock on the second day

this was after I had been asked to look less nackered Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nice one, where were you walking up to and from???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski,

I think Arno was walking upto the Col I pointed out to you which you can see off right from the top Jochstok chair. It leads to the valley we went down last thing. The snow looks kinder to bootpack but 45 mins sounds like good going.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, the up-route is called Wendensattel on the Swiss ski map. You with your back to the drop off point of the lift on Jochstock it is to your right. It's about 250m height gain but you also cover a fair amount of distance. It certainly felt like good going at the time and I did a personal best on interval sprints in the gym today as a result of the high altitude training! We skied back down to the two man chair that takes you back up to Jochpass. It's a good route. We found a few clean powder turns where you didn't hit the hardpack underneath. There are one or two little scrambles mixed in too Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello Engelberg enthusiastics:-)

I'm currently looking for a short break to engelberg in beginning of april. Now I was wondering if anyone could help me out with next questions:
- is it really that easily accessible? We dont want to buy winter tyres for just this one trip, but would also like to arrive safely;-) So, is it allowed to drive in switzerland without wintertyres? Is the last part from Lucerne/Stans to Engelberg a little bit ok to drive? Is it an idea in case the weather turns really bad to catch the train the last part?

- is the skiresort nice enough to keep people who are not really keen on skiing a little satisfied? Nice shops etc?

- what's up with snow usually in april? I know this year is not that usual yet, but SOME snow must be there in april. Is it true that if you just head high enough to the glacier it should be ok, even in april?

- is the skiarea suitable for first timers? Or too many narrow pistes etc?

- do you have any nice hotels/appartments to recommend for three nights?

- what about andermatt in case engelberg is not ok. Is that easy to access by own car? I remember driving to it a couple of years ago in summer on the old pass, but that's seems qite impossible to me in winter, right? And furthermore also all the questions regarding suitable for beginners etc. It looks like a wonderful area though. But is it more expensive and worth it for 3 days?

- are there maybe any other ares that are very easily accessible from the Netherlands (again without wintertyres etc) Looked at samoens e.g., but this year i fear its not located high enough to have snow in april

Ooooffff, what a lot of questions, hope you are not too bothered to answer some.... Would be of great great help. Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd have thought that the road from Stans would be fine in April. Its only the last section up from Dalenwil that has any significant gradient and if you hit a severe storm there is always the train. Andermatt is accessible by car all winter although the road has significant hairpins. For beginners, Engelberg isn't the greatest as the easier areas tend to be lower lying - Gerschnialp is probably the best bet.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
doctoressie,

I think it is Swiss law to have winter tyres from November onwards from Lucerne at 450M and above..especially if it snows altho we have done it a few times in good weather and snow chains in the back. The road up is easy-ish, its just a steady climb with a few hairpins at the top. I was told off by a resident but not officially.

The whole point of Engelberg is the terrain (Off-piste) accessed by lifts and the pistes are pretty uninspiring otherwise and there aren't that many. It does have a beginners area which would be fun to learn on but it is relatively low and might be closed. It is situtated at the bottom of the Laub and unless you ski that, it is difficult to get to unless by ski school transport. Andermatt has the winterhorn as a beginners type area but I only saw it in a white-out, so couldn't be so sure. the lifts are slow there as well IIRCC. I would think you might be better off in Flims or somewhere nearer.

I thought Engelberg had put its prices up from previous years butthe £ is strong so it wasn't too bad against the CHf. Andermatt is cheaper. The pistes are good higher up but mainly its an off-piste touring, back country destination in my view. There isn't much to do outside of skiing...but then we don't look at that, so might miss something there. It is quite and seems quite isolated.
Alternatives to Engelberg would be Adelboden, Flims and Meirengen Halisberg, the latter being a good 3 days skiing if conditions are good, for a mixed party, IMV
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy