Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adjusting bindings for new boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’ve recently bought some new Salomon X Wave 8 boots which have a sole length 3mm longer than my old boots (335mm). I took my skis to the shop where I bought the boots to have the bindings adjusted but I’m not confident they are done correctly.

When I step into the binding, the bottom of the heel lug on the boot brushes the upper lip of the binding heel cup and rests on the ‘vertical’ part of the rear binding (the inside face) rather than lowering onto the small lip at the bottom of the heel cup. This means that the rear binding pushes back as the boot is lowering in and rests about 5mm back when the binding is fully closed compared to open.

I have moved the rear binding back one notch (they are Salomon S810 bindings). In this position, the boot drops nicely into the bottom of the heel piece with about 1-2 mm clearance between the upper lip of the cup and back of the heel lug. Pushing the heel of the boot down closes the binding using the small lip. The boot is still clamped firmly in this position and the rear binding still moves backwards by about 2mm between the open and closed position so some forward pressure is maintained.

Which of these positions sounds correct or doesn’t it matter? Is the binding designed to allow a certain range of horizontal movement to accommodate different boot lengths. I am concerned that the tighter fit set by the shop may prevent the binding from releasing properly. Or is the opposite true? Is there a chance that I have a lack of forward pressure on the looser setting. The looser setting still seems to hold the boot firmly.

On the front binding the ‘wings’ are just touching the sides of the toe (perhaps with 1mm gap). Should these be clamped firmly or does this sound right? The front of the toe plate is firmly up against the binding.

The tech also set my DIN to 8.5 which I think is way too high. I am 78kgs, 6’ 0” and would class myself as an aggressive type 2 skier. That said I would rather my bindings release early than risk injury. My old boots were only 3mm shorter and the DIN was previously set to 6.5. I will reduce the DIN to at least 7 before I ski.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sickboy, This same question came up a few days ago and was answered, a quick search will reveal all.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.salomoncertification.com/manuals/SPM_06_web.pdf

page 14 Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the link Lower, I have just found that document.

For the S810 it recommends that the "arrow of the rear of the heal housing lines up within the scribed area on the adjustment tab". I'll have a look tonight but I am not entirely sure what they mean by the "arrow of the rear of the heal housing". Maybe it will be obvious when I look.

The scribed area is has to line up with is about 7-8mm long. Does this mean there is a range and it is fine anywhere in this area or should it line up with the end of the scribed area?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sickboy, Welcome to snowHead
Sorry - I can't help with your binding question though!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sickboy, ....... welcome to snowheads ... snowHead

....hope you get better soon...... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sickboy wrote:
Thanks for the link Lower, I have just found that document.

For the S810 it recommends that the "arrow of the rear of the heal housing lines up within the scribed area on the adjustment tab". I'll have a look tonight but I am not entirely sure what they mean by the "arrow of the rear of the heal housing". Maybe it will be obvious when I look.

The scribed area is has to line up with is about 7-8mm long. Does this mean there is a range and it is fine anywhere in this area or should it line up with the end of the scribed area?

Yes. On my bindings i can have the arrow in the marked area with the rear binding on one of two notches.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy