Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler trip report...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks. I am in Vancouver now waiting for my connection to Calgary and Banff.

Just had 3 days skiing in Whistler and all i can say is its absolutely fantastic. The snow was absolutely wonderful, and one of the days the clear blue skies made me feel part of something really special.

The people here are really nice, and 90% of my chairlift rides involved conversation with the other random people on the chair. Sharing views and getting tips on where to go next.

There is a lot of terrain here, and the Harmony and Symphony areas are amazing, as is the 7th Heaven area first thing in the morning.

I have had a great time so far, and dont really have an awful lot bad to say. I guess the only thing is there seems to be a lot more 'im really cool' types of people there who usually tend to annoy me, but i let them off Smile. The signsage and trail maps are also AWFUL....but you soon learn to not need them and there are mountain hosts everywhere to show you the way if you get lost!

The whole setup is very efficient and organised, and made for a very pleasent time in all aspects, i am definitely a convert and if the exchange rates stay the same i will be here again next time.

I also learnt a new phrase which i like:

"Thats quite a garage sale you are having there..." - with reference to the massive wipe out i had in the moguls leaving skis, poles spread all over the place! Dont worry the landing was in the soft powder so nothing damaged apart form a little male pride! snowHead

Off to Banff now...ill give you some feedback from my experience there soon... snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomski01, glad to hear you had a great time here in Whistler! snowHead Looking forward to your report from Banff (never been there)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oooooh ..... i can not wait
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi folks

well, here i am back in Vancouver airport ready for my return journey!

All in all i have had a brilliant holiday, i absolutely love Canada, the skiing here is overall excellent, the people wonderful and well its just great and i am a total convert Very Happy snowHead Laughing

Ill start with the negatives:
1. I have got a stinking cold/flu which seems to have taken all of the hostels in Alberta hostage, very nasty. Luckily it didnt affect my skiing as it didnt hit me until the last day, but kind of scuppered my plans for other more sedate sightseeing activities planned for the last couple of days. Sad
2. why do they not include taxes in the advertsied costs for things here Twisted Evil , very annoying and the 1 cent coins are very annoying too.
3. still too many trendies for my liking...maybe its me!

As you can see, nothing too bad. I have another mini-gripe which ill talk about later, as now Ill now give an overview of my experiences of each of the resorts i visited (please note i am a skiier, so can only offer speculation on how it would be for boarders):

1. Whistler - see above. Simply awesome.

2. Lake Louise - Smashing lodge, really good food and quick friendly service (as itis everywhere tho to be fair!). Bit of a drive from Banff but definitely worth it. The skiing is varied and extensive. The powder here was AWESOME, i got lucky and took the little t-bar to the top over the back and the weather cleared promptly and i managed to cut (badly) some fresh tracks, hip deep i swear. I did that 3 times and that was enough for the afternoon as its a very long and lovely run back down the valley. Suitable for all levels and i am sure not too many flat bits for boarders.
Skiing - 8/10
Ambience - 7/10
Staff - 10/10 (this goes for all resorts, everyone is do damn helpful!)

3. Kicking Horse - Man this place is STEEP! Got lucky again and hit a powder day and was amazed how good it was. But the locals knew better than me and the main areas under the upper chairlift were soon tracked out. There was a cloud inversion so the views were stunning at the top. The variety was good and had a really good time here, no people or queues anywhere. However, not good for beginners.
Skiing - 8/10 (steep)
Ambience / views - 9/10
Queues - 10/10

4. Fernie - great place. Fab varierty of runs for all abilities and nicely groomed. There are some really nice greens here for the improving beginners / shaky intermediates. The Cedar Bowl had some great skiing. Unfortunately it hadnt snowed for 4 days or so by the time we got here so it was getting a little scraped in places, but nothing i would call 'icy'. After lunch on the saturday there was a lift queue of about 5 minutes which was weird (!). The very top and bottom areas might be a bit of a pain for boarders?
Skiing - 9/10 (simply for variety)
Ambience / queues - 7/10

Banff was a great town, i will definitely come back here in the summer to hike and do some white water rafting and ski for many winters to come, apart from this stupid cold.

My main gripe with all of the resorts (perhaps excepting whistler) was the a lot of the lifts were very sloooow. There are very few express lifts, and even the gondola at the Horse seemed to be running about half speed. But, maybe i am being picky now! NehNeh

well, thats enough for now. I am really glad i chose to come here, the whole experience has been amazing (even my groggy stagger around Vancouver today was great...fab city). Ill be back here soon, keep some Kookanee Gold in the fridge for me! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomski01, i must get out there one day...

Sounds like you had a great time!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tomski01, Great report.
What were the lift queues like at Whistler? I've heard they can be very long. Iv'e also been told that the trails can get very busy.
I'm going out there on March 3rd and the crowds are the only thing that are concerning me at the moment.

I loved Banff too; the snow conditions, the terrain, the great town, the people, the wildlife, the great exchange rate but like you my trip was almost spoilt by those pesky 1 cent coins. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

What were the lift queues like at Whistler? I've heard they can be very long. Iv'e also been told that the trails can get very busy.
I'm going out there on March 3rd and the crowds are the only thing that are concerning me at the moment.

Not sure about Whistler, but when we went to sunshine last feb there were no queues of more than 6 people, and the slopes were pretty empty. Check the webcam of sunshine the place is so big it looks empty
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevev, we were there a couple of weeks back and the queues weren't too bad on teh mountain 5-10 minutes. for the gondollas it can be a little longer 15-20 but as long as you avoid skiing all the way down you are ok.
lifts and slopes were busy for the second weekend as was the village as it was a US holiday and resort was packed. think they haven't got as many marshalls working the slopes this year as last as I saw a number of falls and collisions (being on the receiving end of one Sad Evil or Very Mad )
snow conditions were great.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to Sunshine and thought it was superb. Like you say, very uncrowded.
I'm trying to work out just how busy the lifts and trails are at Whistler because it seems to be one of the few complaints people have about the place (along with rain).
I'm hoping that "busy" in Canadian resorts has a different meaning to "busy" in major European resorts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never yet had to stand in a lift line at Whistler for longer than 4 mins NehNeh

And you can tell when the European skiers come over here. They try and barge and push their way into the lift lines. We have to educate them on the etiquette of alternating.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight wrote:
I've never yet had to stand in a lift line at Whistler for longer than 4 mins NehNeh

And you can tell when the European skiers come over here. They try and barge and push their way into the lift lines. We have to educate them on the etiquette of alternating.

That's what I wanted to hear. Qs not too bad then.
The people fighting to get past me in Austrian lift queues is something I can't stand. When someone barges bast me in the queue I don't offer any resistance. I just let them get in front of me and then I stand on the tails of their skis and let them drag me along with them. Laughing

Things are much more civilised in North America.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was pretty busy last weekend - probably 5 or so minutes at the excellerator chair on blackcomb. Big line-up on the Glacier chair too, though that could easily be avoided by going in the singles line (the lift filler-upper bloke was handilly loading a chair of singles every now and then so even if everyone was already a 4 four the line still moved).
I'm slightly mystified as to why whistler gets singled out when pretty much every other big resort has similar problems. A busy trail in Whistler is empty compared to a busy trail in France - alternatively don't go on the trails - you don't need to in N. America snowHead
Normally you can avoid the lines completely on Whistler by hitting the (I'm not telling you actually- you'll all be there Razz ) chair, but last weekend the warm weather meant the snow there wasn't so good.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
didnt seem too busy too me, but it was a quiet week. Nothing compared to europe anyway! People seem to queue so well there that its not half as frustrating either (e.g. actually feels like 5 mins as opposed to a lifetime of argy-bargy!).

the other big downer...jet lag...feeling it now. just need to last...3 or 4 mooore hours... Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stuarth wrote:
I'm slightly mystified as to why whistler gets singled out when pretty much every other big resort has similar problems. A busy trail in Whistler is empty compared to a busy trail in France

That's what I suspected.

I've planned my Whistler trip in a way that should mean I'm not waiting in line so much anyway. Such as; Doing the ski school thing for 5 of my 10 days which I believe gives us lift line priority. The one day I'm not skiing (enforced by wife) will be a Saturday and I think/hope that 3rd - 13th March is before the school break in BC.
Can't wait. snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dumping down here
ski holidays
what are the pistes like? Are they beeing trashed by presidents week, or is the recent snowfall enough?
snow report
Tons of new snow. Conditions are good - wind;s been filling in areas a lot more then reported
latest report
still snowing here
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy