Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg (Tragedy)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
6 year old girl dies after falling down a 300metre down a Couloir. There isa link with pictures of couloir. "Tod auf dem Titlis"

http://www.20min.ch/news/luzern/story/19674413

http://www.espace.ch/artikel_309076.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
According to the first report, the group of 6 & 7 year olds were with a male ski instrutor (his Daughter was also in the group but was not injured) Shocked

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 22-01-07 22:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 choppers involved in rescue that I saw plus serious amounts of rope. Didn't realise it was a kid's group. Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indeed it is very sad.

It begs the question, how did they let a young six year old anywhere near a 300 metre couloir ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latchigo wrote:
Indeed it is very sad.

It begs the question, how did they let a young six year old anywhere near a 300 metre couloir ?

Not sure it is an open and shut case - my German is appalling but I get the gist from babelfish, they may have been skiing not very far off the marked piste but it was certainly very slick at the time, the pistes had certainly been very slick in the morning. Certainly the pistes were typical euro chaos - too few runs open with too many skiers so the instructor might have thought he was acting in the kids best interests by taking them a little further over from the marker. I think the 300m may be a reference to the length of the slide not the drop or more likely the length o fthe gully once you were in it - any German speakers care to elaborate.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, I know many of the European youngsters are accomplished skiers at an early age, but a six year old has barely started school.

It is enough to make you weep. The instructors do have a duty of care to their tiny charges. I would be even more alarmed if they were going off piste. I get nervous having a small child next to me on a chair lift.

However, I will reserve judgement until I hear the full story.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latchigo, they were a group from the Engelberg ski club so probably better than average. Why they were off piste is of course the big question.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Couple of areas of Les Arcs where there are some pretty nasty drops to the edge of the piste - its not hard to imagine this happening. I always breath a sigh of relief when my kids come back ok with the instructor. Terribly sad story but there is the age old debate, do you wrap your kids in cotton wall or let them go and take risks?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
Latchigo wrote:
Indeed it is very sad.

Not sure it is an open and shut case - my German is appalling but I get the gist from babelfish, they may have been skiing not very far off the marked piste but it was certainly very slick at the time, the pistes had certainly been very slick in the morning. Certainly the pistes were typical euro chaos - too few runs open with too many skiers so the instructor might have thought he was acting in the kids best interests by taking them a little further over from the marker. I think the 300m may be a reference to the length of the slide not the drop or more likely the length o fthe gully once you were in it - any German speakers care to elaborate.

the first article does say she fell 300m deep although it doesn't look far from the piste. The second link says it was a 300m long couloir (which makes more sense to me). The second article says the child who died slipped on the ice and was injured by the rocks as she fell down the couloir losing ski's, poles and helmet. Other children fell but had more luck than the poor little 'un.

The Ski Club President commented in the first article saying that they really only train on the piste and couldn't understand why they were there.

I've seen ski clubs taking older kids offpiste in better conditions but don't understand this. It could be that one child skied off piste and the ski instructor tried to keep them together. My thoughts go out to her family.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 22-01-07 22:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT when he is back online may be in a better position to comment as he skied the slope I think in question on the day and saw some more detail of the rescue attempt. It certainly wasn't extreme backcountry offpiste and with no avy risk from above I imagine it would be a regular diversion with the ski club in better conditions. Plenty of people were skiing the slope (If it is the one I think) not because it was great or really technical but because it wasn't the overcrowded piste.

I had assumed at the time that the accident was a gung-ho guy who'd decided he might find something skiable down the bottom of the gully. I wouldn't want to judge the instructor on the basis of an extract from the Swiss equivalent of Metro, I'm sure he has enough to deal with at the moment
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Real shame

RIP
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad How awful.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
I had assumed at the time that the accident was a gung-ho guy who'd decided he might find something skiable down the bottom of the gully. I wouldn't want to judge the instructor on the basis of an extract from the Swiss equivalent of Metro, I'm sure he has enough to deal with at the moment

The ski instructor is quoted as being in shock at the moment. It's a dam shame how skiing can take such a young life and change so many others.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy