Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insoles are buckling when I take foot out of boot - any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks
Well, I've been wearing the new boots (Head 8.8's) as instructed, all fine except for a slight niggle - I wondered if you might have a idea or two.

When I take my foot out of the boot the plate in the base of the liner, that I'd call the 'insole' in a conventional pair of shoes, is moving with the foot and ends up bent/buckled at the base of the boot once I've removed my foot - so I then have to push it back flat with my fingers. I don't think it will do much for the longevity of the thing unless I can stop it. Anyone got any ideas - I've thought about a bit of sticky velcro under it, but thought I might feel it under foot, or maybe a bit of double sided tape. Has any one had similar problems and found a better solution that they'd like to share?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
Hi Folks
Well, I've been wearing the new boots (Head 8.8's) as instructed, all fine except for a slight niggle - I wondered if you might have a idea or two.

When I take my foot out of the boot the plate in the base of the liner, that I'd call the 'insole' in a conventional pair of shoes, is moving with the foot and ends up bent/buckled at the base of the boot once I've removed my foot - so I then have to push it back flat with my fingers. I don't think it will do much for the longevity of the thing unless I can stop it. Anyone got any ideas - I've thought about a bit of sticky velcro under it, but thought I might feel it under foot, or maybe a bit of double sided tape. Has any one had similar problems and found a better solution that they'd like to share?

Yeah, Superfeet, Downunders, Alines, Conformables. Razz NehNeh Laughing snowHead

Seriously, those aren't doing anything for you except (maybe) keeping your foot slightly dryer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,
The insoles supplied with the boots, are normally of very low quality. It is usual to throw them away and get some proper custom footbeds, as mentioned by comprex, The quality of the fit will be transformed with proper footbeds. It is definately worth spending the extra money.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, the guys have said it...the quality of these insoles is nothing more than a bit of carpet tile, the one in the Head Edge is particularliy bad [ not that others are any better]

spend a little more and have comfort and better performance Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum,
Used my old footbed and took the insoles out of my Head 9.8's and put them in my slippers. Toastie toes but the insole still buckled up so I ditched that idea. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi folks, I've read sufficient on here that you saying 'insoles' doesn't really surprise me, but given their cost I thought it worth the question. The shop I got the boots from can supply the 'Superfeet' ones, I think they were about £32, I do often see this brand recommended on here so I guess they must be OK - is that price about right? Sad I guess that's the flip side of budget boots, maybe if I'd have paid more I'd have got decent insoles included. Half of me is saying get a week out of the existing ones and go for the insoles in the summer, but the other half is saying if the old ones demolish themselves 1/2 way through the holiday then I've got the problem of trying to get replacements in our small resort - I think it might be worth taking the plunge and not muttering to anyone here how much they cost - I'm the only one that ever looks at the bank statement!!

If I paid a visit is it just a case of buying a set the correct size and replacing them for the old ones, or do I need to take the boots and have the insides re-heat molded to my foot once the insoles are inside - or do they even mold the insoles?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, you could have paid a lot and still not had decent footbeds. In my opinion, with the price of ski boots I don't see why they can't include a proper footbed. If your's fold every time you pull your foot out then I would say that the footbed in your boots is not "fit for purpose" or not of "merchantable quality". You could try saying those words to the ski shop and see if you can get a discount on the new footbeds. They'll either be happy to oblige or they'll get upset!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
petemillis, Now there's an idea....... I must admit I've sometimes succeeded with that tack (got a brilliant music combi for a good price out of Rumblelows one day by wandering into a packed shop (which always helps) and saying "that's the fourth duff system I've walked out of here with - I want my money back!!"). I wouldn't be that hard on the ski shop esp. as I'm trying to make some friends there - after all you want them to treat you right, but as you say the insoles are hardly fit for purpose if they are buckling after a half hour walk on a carpet - makes me wonder what they'll be like after 4 hours on the slopes (assuming we can find some snow). I certainly might pay a visit on that basis. Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
petemillis, Megamum, the standard footbed that comes with most boots has always been and will always remain a cheap piece of carpet tile, there are a couple of key reasons for this

1 the boot manufacturer must supply something that fits everyone [to a point, remember that around 90% of ski boots are bought by people selecting their perceived size in a coulor they like] if they put a structured footbed into a boot and you have a flat foot that cannot tolerate shape then you would find it uncomfortable, just as if you are in need of a custom made footbed or a corrective orthotic you would have to remove the supplied one and throw it away, approx 40% of people can get away with an off the peg footbed 55% would benefit from a custom footbed the other 5% either cannot wear anything [foot rigid and pathalogically flat] or require a corrective medical orthotic due to more serious foot problems [these are approximate figures but give an idea of the point i am trying to make]
this would mean around 60% would have to remove the supplied footbed to get something else.

2 cost!!!!! if brand A for example were to put a decent footbed into their boots then they would want a margin of the product, so the price of their boots would go up....compare that to brand B who didn't put in a decent insole their boots are some £30 cheaper and seem like better value to the consumer, who in general is still not educated to the reasons for the extra cost.

Megamum, the reason for the folding is most likely that it was not in the boot properly in the first place and now that the little structure it had has been compromised it will always fold the way it is... i am 100% sure if you went into any half decent ski shop they will find you a pair of insoles FOC to replace the folding ones, infact PM me the boot size and your address and i will send you a pair. however my original advice still stands, the extra cost for a decent structured footbed is money well spent

until people understand the biomechanics of skiing they are willing to accept the carpet tile approach, when an understanding of the forces and motions involved is gained and you ski for the first time with a proper footbed then 99% will never go back to skiing without one, that said they have to be well made, there are a lot of people out there making poor quality products and if you are not 100% sure of the skills of the fitter then you can do a lot worse than getting a quality off the peg device, either superfeet trim to fit or the conformable step in, whatever one it is make sure it is sized correctly the biggest problem with these products is people self selecting based on the sizes on the box [and perceved foot size] or being sized wrongly by inept shop staff.

hopefully this explains the reasons why, as i said PM your details and i will send you a replacement insole Little Angel Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy