Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New year 07/08 diy or not??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead
Have decided to go to Zell new year, 2 families equalling 9 people. Have been quoted £6000 approx with crystal at a hotel h/b, flights, transfers etc
Is that good? or if we go diy, I am confident we will find good accommodation but am worried flights may be expensive? anyone know what they would cost? obviously it is too early to book them now, what does everyone else do?

Also did anyone spend this new year there, was there snow?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feefee, feefee, Not sure about the historic snow at that level (Zell am See I'm presuming, not am Ziller?), but sure someone will be along soon on that question. Very Happy The 6k works out at around £660 pp which sounds pretty good to me for New Year, inc food, travel. Things to look at are lift pass prices, ski school if needed etc., and maybe do a quick cost comparison against doing it yourself. I don't think you'd come out very much better financially - that leaves you to decide if the hotel is OK for a festive break. If you know the name, do a search on www.Tripadvisor.co.uk - fab site with real people's opinions and reviews. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feefee, BA prices for flights to Salzburg will be available within the next couple of weeks, so you can see what they look like before making up your mind. I booked BA to Salzburg for Easter this year and got reasonable prices (about £100 p/p), it needn't be too expensive.

You could also check Lufthansa to Munich, they should be available about the same time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
feefee, the past few years (possibly this year excepted?) Austria has had good early snow. The good thing about Zell (again presuming you mean am See) is that it has a nearby glacier should you need it.

Flights shouldn't be too expensive...but that depends on where you want to fly from, and if you book on the day that they are released.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elizabeth B, I have noticed before that the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair are sometimes more expensive on the day they are released and then drop a bit after a couple of weeks. Can't say that the same will happen every time though Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easy jet have a price promise, where they guarantee that if they reduce the fligt price (other than in an advertsed sale) that they will credit you with the difference. You just need to phone them to claim it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, that is interesting and not something I was aware of - and nor could I find it on their website in a quick look just now - so they clearly don't want it widely known Very Happy .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Book/regulations.html#pricepromise

It's in the FAQs
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, easyJet don't advertise it widely, you need to ring their 0870 number and hang on, and then you get flight credits to be used within X months. So it's not a hugely big deal. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick though, which is what you'll get from most of the others.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got about £35 back on one return journey last year. Better than nowt.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all, yes its Zell am See I meant, BA already have the dates on at a whopping £366 each! When do easyjet and Ryanair put these dates on?
Although we enjoyed Kaprun before I don't really fancy the packed ski bus/gondolas up to the glacier if we need to.
Interesting about easyjet price promise though Very Happy
Just don't know whether to go for it and worry about snow Puzzled
or look for a higher resort, usa would be nice but too expensive, maybe thinking about that for next easter.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
feefee, where about in the country would you be flying from? There's also Jet2 and Thompsonfly that do Salzburg.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
preferably stansted, but gatwick or luton ok.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah...not too sure about southern routes....do you have aiports down south? wink wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not sure! will have to keep umming and arring 'til I make the decision!
latest report
Not sure if you've come across this site, but I often find it useful

http://www.whichbudget.com/
latest report
thanks will check it out!
snow report
I went to Zell this year - boxing day departure for a week for a family of 5. We got flights Manchester to Salzburg with Thomson Fly (£800 the lot, including pre-reserved seats) although ifI'd have know Ryan Air were launching a flight from East Mids and waited I could have got that down to £500 for 5 flights. B&B for a double and a triple room ensuite cost me 1470 Euros (Pension Hubertus - a crasking little place just 20 metres from City Express main gondola and 5 mins walk to the apres action http://www.hubertus-pension.at The ski school is in the same building), transfers cost 125 Euros each way door to door (www.taxizell.at). Total cost about £2000 or £400 per person. Cheapest ski hire is in town - SkiPro. Much cheaper than Intersport across from the pension - 81 Euros for skis boots and poles for 6 days.

Make sure you prebook somewhere for New Years Eve dinner or you'll find yourself struggling!
latest report
SnowGod, Sounds good! how did you manage a midweek booking, I tried so many places this christmas but everything was sat to sat?
Was there much snow, and many runs open?
snow report
We'd stayed in the Pension before and got on really well with the owners... The pistes on the ridge were in pretty good order above the mid station but lower down it was grassy. Only a couple of runs open in the SonnenAlp side and the snow was worse there. There was no off piste at all. We never needed to go to the glacier, thankfully, because I heard the queues were huge in the mornings. Had a thoroughly enjoyable time though, and New Years Eve in Crazy Daisy was excellent.... good food and atmosphere in the restaurant and good time upstairs afterwards with the live band and DJ. It's my wifes favourite resort!!!
ski holidays
feefee, have you looked at BA to Munich? Lots of flights and return prices look to be around £106 for that period.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, Hi, I am beginning to rely on you for information!
yes £522 for the 5 of us! Now geography is not my thing..... how far to Zell Embarassed
ski holidays
feefee, check out

here

183km (115miles) and 2:14 hours. Is that too far?

I've no idea on trains Confused

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 22-01-07 14:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
SnowGod, thanks, nice to know you managed without going to the glacier, don't get me wrong we had a fantastic time in Kaprun but it was a pretty packed journey to get there!! not fun with a 5 yr old.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, thanks definately an option!
latest report
http://www.oebb.at/vip8/oebb/en/ for the trains. It takes about 4 hrs, I think, and involves a change or two. But not a bad journey. I have only done it in the summer, but presume the winter service would be similar.
snow report
Thanks all! think we might just wait a while, still undecided rolling eyes
snow report
If you want to go to Zell I'd try to go via Salzburg or at worst Klagenfurt if you're relying on transfers or trains to get to resort. If you intend to hire a car Munich is also an option.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy