Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longe range forecast for February anyone ??

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know from looking at the longe range models what the weather will be like in February after the first great dump of the season next week Puzzled Puzzled

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-01-07 20:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Brookes wrote:
Does anymore know from looking at the longe range models what the weather will be like in February after the the first great dump of the season next week Puzzled Puzzled

Given up Chris. Charts promise much all week and then simply downgrade when it gets interesting. Its getting colder for the next 5 days but after that its very uncertain. I would say half term week could be make or break for many businesses Sad

If we can keep the cold its good news but a sense of realism has to come soon that we to address climate change.

Feb 2007 could be a watershed for the snowsports industry.

Edit: this is better, but it has to stay cold.....

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/semb120.gif
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Brookes, my bunions are aching which usually means that it will snow like thunder - but only in Wengen - hope this helps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Smokin Joe, lol.... then it will be even better for me wink Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Feb 2007 could be a watershed for the snowsports industry

the main forecaster on the French version of snowheads, skipass.com (who is generally pretty good) reckons that on average February will be dry and slightly warmer than average, but not dramatically so. But he has also stressed that this forecast is "balance of probabilities" and, like all long range forecasts, not to be relied upon. But it has been looking like that for a while. February 2007 could well be a watershed for this season's prospects for the snowsports industry and possibly (hopefully) another wake up call on global warming. But to write off the entire industry on the basis of the sort of crummy conditions which happen from time to time (even if they might happen more often in future) is a touch melodramatic.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
'If we can keep the cold its good news but a sense of realism has to come soon that we to address climate change.

Feb 2007 could be a watershed for the snowsports industry. '

So how does last year fit in to this theory with record snowfall???

One bad year does not make it a crisis!!!

I know the media like to make it so. There has been other bad years in the Alps the early 1980's for example. Last year America didn't do very well but the Alps did this year the reverse is true.

What is happening is just weather!! There will be good years and bad years that is just how the climate is.

Nigel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Even the experts say that climate change is responsible for a 1 degree temperature rise....how could that explain the start of this season?.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

how could that explain the start of this season?.

climate change can't "explain" anything in the short term. The fact that January has been very warm does not "prove" climate change, any more than last year's very cold January "disproves it". In the short term it is, indeed, just "weather". Over the next 20 or 30 years it is highly probable that more glaciers will melt, and that lower ski resorts will struggle. But within that long term scenario it is just as likely that the next three years are thumping seasons with plenty of snow. But extremely small long term temperature changes, for example in the ocean depths, can have vast effects on climate - for example the el nino phenomenon, where very slight changes in ocean temperatures can cause droughts and deaths and landslides. But to try to find an explanatory relationship between one warm January and "climate change" is a mistake.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Although the intermediate affects of climate change might actually be good news for skiing in Europe - although bad news for Europe in general.

If one begins to see the melting of the glaciers in Greenland, the Gulf Stream will slowly grind to a halt. This will send Europe into a deep freeze. Picture London England having the same temps as, say Canada at the southern tip of Hudson Bay.

That is where it lies from a latitude perspective. It has warmer temps largely due to the affects of the Gulf Stream bringing warmer water up into the northern Atlantic ocean.

I shudder to think of what happens to some of the worlds great cities when, at least in the intermediate term, they are plunged into a deep freeze.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

the Gulf Stream will slowly grind to a halt...
Quote:

I shudder to think of what happens to some of the worlds great cities when, at least in the intermediate term, they are plunged into a deep freeze.

From what little I know I understand that that is just one possible scenario. It is more a case of "if" rather than "when" cities like Liverpool or London are plunged into a deep freeze. But I think it's also true to say that ocean current changes can happen rather quickly, in climatological terms - just look at el nino which develops over a few months.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The last two years my biggest problem with snow has been that there was too much. Lifts were closed and I struggled to get to certain resorts (even with winter tyres and chains) because of too much snow. Resorts that have 50cm now had 500cm this time last year.
Certain parts of America are struggling just as bad as Europe and I know from speaking to people on Epicski over the last few years that Europe often has snow when America struggles. One bad season doesn't change the whole system.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
From what little I know I understand that that is just one possible scenario. It is more a case of "if" rather than "when" cities like Liverpool or London are plunged into a deep freeze. But I think it's also true to say that ocean current changes can happen rather quickly, in climatological terms - just look at el nino which develops over a few months.

I agree. One of the things that makes me a sceptic(*) about "climate change" is that the body of instant "experts" who have jumped on the bandwagon doesn't know if Britain is going to get much warmer or much colder - just that it's going to get much worse.

(*) I use "sceptic" in the (proper) sense of questioning, rather than in the sense of disbelieving outright.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, The collective answer to your post, after compiling all of the above posts is...

No.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
One bad season doesn't change the whole system.

Exactly. Its a bad start to the season. Next year will probably be OK again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hope next year is ok................i have already booked a late december trip to alpe d'huez!!!!! Any predictions welcome.

Here's mine, some snow, great time, book again!!!!!!!!!!

As for sceptics of GW..........have you not yet seen The day after tomorrow? thats the scariest documentary ever.
ski holidays
Quote:

Actually, the current thinking is that (a) there has been no slowdown and (b) the projected slowdown (probably beyond 2050) will be far more offset by warming and so the UK will experience a net warming rather than cooling. There is a chance of a rapid change, but this is currently considered low to unquantified. There is evidence to suggest that reductions in the various currents involved (see link below as to the naming) have caused climatic events and contributed towards the Little Ica Age that parts of the northern hemisphere experienced a couple of hundred years ago. The IPCC AR4 will also cover it in two weeks time. It is one of the areas where there are big gaps in the understanding, but where there is new research being carried out and recent findings that are very interesting (see http://www.soc.soton.ac.uk/rapid/rapid.php). It's definitely an area to watch, even if for purely academic reasons.

Lots of info here under the Oceans section (most recent at the bottom). The El Nino one is a good summary, too and explains how it's different to the changes discussed here.

As for one season indicating climate change, that is the wrong approach. Climate (as opposed to climate drivers) consists of weather averages so it can only change if the averages change (due to a change in the drivers). No single event can demonstrate climate change, but climate change can be a driver to increase the probability of those events - but that still requires a long-term view. Occurrences of very low probability events (high sigma?) are worth noting, but again you need more than one to come any conclusions. If a season matches the predictions made about the changes expected from global warming, then you can notch one to the models that are being used to make the regional and seasonal predictions....also, it doesn't back the fact that the globe is warming, the global temperature trend is doing that, but it does back the models used to try and predict the outcome of that warming and then you need a shift in the averages to say that those models are right.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Spent ages trying to find these yesterday, finally got them Very Happy

These are the latest NCEP (US govt climate people) forecasts for next few months using their coupled forecast system model. Disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea if this model has been good, bad or indifferent in the past, but it does fit in with the Met Office's long range forecast of signals for cold spells late in the winter. Wink

This is surface temperature (blue = colder than usual, red = warmer than usual), scale in degrees relative to past 20 years average at the bottom.

... and precipitation (green = wetter than usual, yellow/red = drier).

snow report
Well the model seems to have got January pretty wrong so far in terms of precipitation though temp looks spot on...
snow conditions
brian, thanks for posting those. If I am interpreting them correctly then it would appear that the rest of the winter in the French and Swiss Alps are likely to be marginally colder and wetter then the 20yr average. Sounds OK if borne out
snow report
brian, just wondering if you have a link for that data, would be interesting to see how it pans out and what amendments they make as time goes on
latest report
Just go out for a whole season and you'll soon discover that snow forecasts are generally pointless Very Happy

Don't forget last season people, more snow than could be handled, this season has just had a very shaky start!

Go to North America/Canada - loads of it!

Just trying to cast a lighter note on the doom and gloom Shocked
ski holidays
BGA, I was going to ask the same thing, but then remembered that the images are from links. So just bookmark the image URLs. Of course, if there's any text associated you'll need to find the wrapping pages.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
BGA, http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfs_fcst4CPC

The charts I posted above are "anomaly" ones for Europe, down at the bottom of the page.
snow report
frostynutz, Spoke a bit too soon eh? Seems to be reports of snow cropping up all over Europe today
ski holidays
Robbof wrote:
Just go out for a whole season and you'll soon discover that snow forecasts are generally pointless Very Happy

Don't forget last season people, more snow than could be handled, this season has just had a very shaky start!

No haven't forogtten last season. Feb half term, Meribel, dreadful conditions, when it finally snowed mid week it turned to rain overnight at resort level and washed the new snow out. Up high it was too windy for the lifts. The folk heading out after us had sublime conditions until the end of the season, which was extended. A shakey start which extended into Feb.
latest report
kosciosco wrote:
frostynutz, Spoke a bit too soon eh? Seems to be reports of snow cropping up all over Europe today

I haven't seen the figures, so could well be wrong, but I doubt today & tomorrow's amounts will be enough to push the total above the 20 year average.
snow report
kosciosco wrote:

Guess you're right - I'd forgotten it's only 23rd Jan!
I think I've been getting a bit carried away with the GFS runs for the next week or so which don't look very snowy (other than today or tomorrow of course...) Hope all the snowheads out there enjoy all that light and dry pow!
ski holidays
Paul-B wrote:
Robbof wrote:

No haven't forogtten last season. Feb half term, Meribel, dreadful conditions, when it finally snowed mid week it turned to rain overnight at resort level and washed the new snow out. Up high it was too windy for the lifts. The folk heading out after us had sublime conditions until the end of the season, which was extended. A shakey start which extended into Feb.

Awesome snow at New Year though Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy