Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which north american resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking for some recommendation for an American or Canadian resort for next Christmas. I am thinking North America because of the snow and this season has scared me. This is a family trip, my parents have never skied before, my sister has one week and I am going to learn to snowboard so we are all in some kind of ski school.

As I have only skied the alps, where would you recommend? A family friend said Banff and I see Lake Louise is in the area not sure if they are both accessible from one lift pass or bus system?

Hope you snow heads can help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Banff is a great town, in a beautiful situation. However, like many N.American resorts, it's a drive to the slopes. There's a good bus service (I think, I've never used it) , but I'd definitely hire a car - it avoids the horrors of a transfer bus and gives you a lot more flexibility in the resort.

Banff has 2 mountains nearby, Mt Norquay (abot 10 mins drive) which is small but interesting, with some excellent beginner terrian, and Sunshine (about 15/20 mins drive), which is a good size and has some of everything including good beginner terrain. The ski school there has been uniformly excellent the 6 times we've been there. LL is a bit further away (20/30 mins drive), and is another decent sized hill with a bit of everything. You can stay in LL, very pleasant but very extremely quiet.

There is pass availble for all 3 ski areas, which includes the bus from Banff to all 3 hills. You'd need to look at prices and guess how often you'll go to the various hills to work out if a tri area is better value for you than a single area with add ons for the other areas; an impossible computation, so we always bought tri area passes.

The whole range of accommodation is available in Banff. The only ski in/ski out is the Sunshine Inn at Sunshine, but there is absolutely nothing else there at all in the evenings, so 2 weeks (or even 1 week) of that might be a bit much.

Banff is obviously not the only ski resort in N.America, all those I've been to have been very enjoyable, but I regard it as one of my favourite places.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dudman,
x mas is typically too early in the season even in the States. Conditions vary a lot from year to year. You should consider Whistler, BC or Snowbird and Alta, Utah. If money is an issue, you can get incredibly cheap accommodation in salt lake city (www.motel6.com - look for extended stay ones in the Valley).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
samydecastro,
Quote:
You should consider Whistler, BC or Snowbird and Alta, Utah.

Is this because of more reliable snow at christmas time?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ye whistler bc as if you are only going for a week no hassle to get to lifts,slopes etc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Still can be early for great snow we went 6th Jan on honeymoon 6 years ago and neither Jasper or Whisltler were fully open- but we still had a great time. The same happened when we spent Christmas in Colorado

Lucy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
samydecastro wrote:
dudman,
x mas is typically too early in the season even in the States. Conditions vary a lot from year to year. You should consider Whistler, BC or Snowbird and Alta, Utah. If money is an issue, you can get incredibly cheap accommodation in salt lake city (www.motel6.com - look for extended stay ones in the Valley).

ummmm......utah is in the united states.

last season we received 12 feet of snow in december. to tell someone xmas is too early in the states is simply silly.

lastly motel6 is a great place to stay if you want drug dealers and whores in the rooms next to you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone got a phone mumber for this Motel 6?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
she was my language instuctor, not a whore wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i like the british sense of humor.....or is that humour?

i guess a motel6 is kind of a buffet
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
a cunning linguist of highest order wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rusty Guy wrote:
samydecastro wrote:
dudman,

ummmm......utah is in the united states.

last season we received 12 feet of snow in december. to tell someone xmas is too early in the states is simply silly.

lastly motel6 is a great place to stay if you want drug dealers and whores in the rooms next to you.

Agree with the comment about timing and snow, been in Utah many times over Xmas and the snow has invariably been great, in fact the snow has been great in November most years as well.

However the extended stay Studio6 in Murray, SLC is not populated by junkies and whores, its fine and dirt cheap as well. At £25 per night the rooms are a damm sight more comfortable than most French mountain apartments.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure if anybody has payed attention to the level of skiiers going. Beginners aren't really going to be able to explore much of Snowbird or Whistler. Probably better off at one of the interior B.C resorts ie Big White, Silver Star, and Sun Peaks, in the states maybe Schweitzer, Big Mountain or Big Sky. Beginners and low intermediates would be able to explore most of all those mountains. Also the beginner and intermediate terrain should all be good in Dec., it's generally only the more advanced terrain that would be sketchy at that time of the year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy