Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dave Murray or Extremely Canadian

Poster: A snowHead
Yet another off to whistler in (early march) post wanting help !

I know alot of snowheads have done these courses/camps, could one of them with 5 mins explain what what etc?

Thanks as always

marcus
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lambertm, I've done the Extremely Canadian one - a 2 day camp. It was good, and dealt with skiing the whole mountain. I believe (but could be wrong) that the Dave Murray one is more focussed on racing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wasn't a fan of the EC camp, but various postings have persuaded me that their outlook may have changed since I went on the course a few years ago. One suggestion that someone made (can't remember who ) was that since the Dave Murray course is more focussed on technique and the EC course is more freeride and 'let's explore the whole mountain' then combining the two but doing the Dave Murray one first might be a plan and I think that's not a bad idea. I wouldn't do the EC course unless you are a competent off piste skier already as it's very much based around pushing your own performance envelope (marketing speak for scaring you sh*tless). If you are a good, confident off piste skier and want to take things to the next level then I would certainly consider it
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have heard very good things about the Dave Murray guys - if improving your skiing is the aim
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found Ski Esprit to be very good when I was in Whistler.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BGA, I think that's a fair summary, but I'd add that EC does group people, so they can scare beginners at a different level to how they scare advanced skiers! Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lambertm - Murray Camp does focus on racing - but as a mechanism for improving your whole mountain skiing. So you might spend the first morning doing gates and technique - but they probably spend at least half their time on black diamonds and double blacks.

The Murray Camp and EC coaches have a different approach than the rest of the "ski school" - even Ski Esprit. Regular ski school teaches official technique, the official way. Murray Camp and EC coaches focus on getting you to ski well - regardless of whether it's the official technique.

Both Murray Camp and EC have a ski off to group people. Murray Camp sends people home on very rare occassions - I'm told EC do so regularly.

I've not done EC - but know people who have.

I can't recommend Murray Camp highly enough.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

The Murray Camp and EC coaches have a different approach than the rest of the "ski school" - even Ski Esprit. Regular ski school teaches official technique, the official way.

Oh. Someone should have explained that to me then. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 21-01-07 6:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

The Murray Camp and EC coaches have a different approach than the rest of the "ski school" - even Ski Esprit. Regular ski school teaches official technique, the official way.

yeah right, and you didn't throw the CSIA book out the window right after you qualified?....

CSCF trained staff usually have a different outlook on things.

(cue me now sheepishly looking through at the NEW 2006/2007 version, as I have to adopt the slow posey skiing in a couple of weeks for my 3 exams....hope I can fake it well enough till I make it............)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

Ok, badly put!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did two days of Dave Murray, and one day of Extremely Canadian the week before Christmas. A stomach bug stopped me from doing the whole of both courses.

Dave Murray was more technique orientated, Extremely Canadian was more focused on pushing the envelope, tactics, and finding untracked powder, a bit more like hiring a guide, rather than a ski instructor. Both were very good, the Dave Murray camp spent a bit more time on the piste, the Extremely Canadian guys only used it as a way of getting around the resort. You have to be a fair standard to do the Extremely Canadian course, and they do recommend that you use fat skis.

I will do both courses again when I return to Whistler.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just in the interest of information, if you do register for an Alpine Supergroups Level 6, we do both, concentrate on technique on the groomers, then take it off the groomers and push your limits in the steeps and powder.

Plus the class size is 3.

So what's the difference? Well, if you ski EC, you get to ski with coaches that wear red jackets.

Today 1 of our coaches from SuperGroups shed his blue jacket, and donned a red jacket as he was taking an EC group.

For both DM and EC, you tend to keep the same coach for the duration of the course, with SuperGroups, you aren't guaranteed it, although we do try and keep daily returning guests with the same coaches. This is offset by the fact that your class size is 3, so you will get highly individualised attention and feedback.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 23-01-07 1:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers for the info,

Whats the "Atomic" part of Atomic Dave Murray , have they sponsered the coachs?

Marcus
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lambertm, I believe that they have. Atomic skis available free of charge to anyone on the camp for the duration of the camp.
snow conditions
lambertm, yes they are sponsored by Atomic and, as Kramer says, you have the opportunity to demo Atomic skis on Camp days. I haven't done an EC (yet) but I love the Dave Murray camps. The coaches are all top notch and are great fun to ski with. We're on camp number two of this holiday and today was yet another amazing day with loads of fresh powder. snowHead
ski holidays
I think that this topic has been discussed before, so do a search on Dave Murray and Extremely Canadian and see what you come up with.

I have done a number of Murray camps, but no EC ones.

The racing aspect of the Murray camps should not be overstated, they put you through gates (1) to improve your skiing and (2) for a bit of fun. They are not trying to turn out budding racers and there is no teaching of racing technique (as opposed to skiing technique) that I can recall........other than a few pointers as to how not to look a total prat going down the race course.These are usually instantly forgotten by me once I get started, with predictable results

I have had a variety of instructors over my courses and they have been uniformly excellent. I can highly recommend Leslie Glaysher (who I think is back this year after having had a baby) and Kim Mcknight (who is a speed skier in her spare time so a bit difficult to keep up with if she puts her mind to it !).

They have some tie up with Atomic, so you can continuously demo whatever is available at the Atomic hut on Whistler mountain (you leave your skis, take theirs and swap back when you want to or at the end of the day.)

Alot depends on your level as to where you go on the Murray camps. If you are in one of the top groups then I imagine that you will be doing a lot of the terrain that the EC guys would do. The top groups in the Murray camps are the very good skiers, not necessarily the very good racers ie the ski off is on ski technique not race technique and is not through gates. If you got John Kindree or Dave Traynor as instructors you could reckon on seeing some pretty gnarly territory I imagine.
snow conditions
lambertm, I think you'd probably love both Dave Murray camps or EC camps.
EC camps are more 'extreme' though. I suggest getting yourself sorted in the Murray camp (where they only do race training if it's not a powder day) and then doing a EC camp with your new found skills.

Alternatively, you could go on the Extremely Veeeight camp, held on Blackcomb with warm up laps of Pakololo (or teetering rock if you ask nicely). Cool

Personally, I like the multi-day camps - they're quicker to get going and last longer in the afternoons. Smile
snow report
PhillipStanton wrote:
lambertm - Murray Camp does focus on racing - but as a mechanism for improving your whole mountain skiing. So you might spend the first morning doing gates and technique - but they probably spend at least half their time on black diamonds and double blacks.

The Murray Camp and EC coaches have a different approach than the rest of the "ski school" - even Ski Esprit. Regular ski school teaches official technique, the official way. Murray Camp and EC coaches focus on getting you to ski well - regardless of whether it's the official technique.

Both Murray Camp and EC have a ski off to group people. Murray Camp sends people home on very rare occassions - I'm told EC do so regularly.

I've not done EC - but know people who have.

I can't recommend Murray Camp highly enough.

Hmmm not sure I've ever seen anyone 'sent home' from Extremely Canadian. Ironically the only time I've left an EC lesson for fear of killing myself on the terrain (I was a bit of a regular, the other guy was a local so the coach was pushing a bit _too_ hard), I went and did a supergroup in which I proceeded to injur myself on a blue run!! rolling eyes

veeeight wrote:
Just in the interest of information, if you do register for an Alpine Supergroups Level 6, we do both, concentrate on technique on the groomers, then take it off the groomers and push your limits in the steeps and powder.

Plus the class size is 3.

So what's the difference? Well, if you ski EC, you get to ski with coaches that wear red jackets.

Today 1 of our coaches from SuperGroups shed his blue jacket, and donned a red jacket as he was taking an EC group.

For both DM and EC, you tend to keep the same coach for the duration of the course, with SuperGroups, you aren't guaranteed it, although we do try and keep daily returning guests with the same coaches. This is offset by the fact that your class size is 3, so you will get highly individualised attention and feedback.

Maybe I should give Supergroups another go one of these days - but from my experience Supergroups and EC are most definitely not the same thing. Not sure it's specifically down to the coaches/instructors as I'm sure they could easily do both.

Supergroups done in past 2 years = 2, EC in past 2 years about 30.

Dave Murray Camp is one of the best things you could do for your skiing. EC is more something I do to be consistently pushed a bit terrain wise, learn the odd tactic, ski hard, and with people who want to ski similar stuff.
latest report
Quote:

Maybe I should give Supergroups another go one of these days - but from my experience Supergroups and EC are most definitely not the same thing.

You're correct, they are not the same thing, they cater for different market requirements.

If you sign up for EC, you are there because you want to ski that sort of terrain and want to be pushed.

In SGroups, this will only happen if the 3 members are of the same outlook and intent.
snow conditions
Definitely do both, DM camp Mon - Wed, couple of days off/doing own thing, EC Sat/Sun

Sorted!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy