Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

tanning - sun cream

Poster: A snowHead
hi
blonde question!
do you need sun protection in Feb and do you really get a tan!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
minicat, I've studied 'blondes' in great detail and would say yes to both questions! Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
minicat, High SPF required as you get sun form above and aslo reflected off the snow. Pay particualr attention to nose and lips.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, would factor 16 be ok, I dont usually burn in hot weather
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
minicat, snow is like sand....it reflects the sun's rays....therefore you are likely to get tanned/burned without even realising it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i thought the sun would be weak in feb?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
minicat, no, same strength as normal. Wink (useless factoid: the earth is closest to the sun in January)

You are a lot higher. There is less atmosphere to absorb the sun's rays. There is less polution to absorb it.
...and then we have the white snow reflecting it all back up as well.

Go with high factor - start at SPF 25 and go higher than that.

The only time I've had sun stroke was skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
minicat, altitude my dear, altitude.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
minicat, No it will be very strong. It will reflect off the snow and burn you in places you didnt think possible. My cousin was "scarred" for about 3years after being badly burnt at half term in Alpe D'huez.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ooh I hope I get a tan on my long weekend! I will be careful though thanks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
minicat, You'll get a skiers tan- huge goggle marks and red ears.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've seen many a lovely lady striping off to a bikini at high altitude and soaking up the suns rays. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I normally use SPF 50 when skiing and still get tanned. To use no sun cream / weak suncream when skiing at high altitude is storing up big trouble for your skin in the future IMHO.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
minicat, your lips also get very dry at altitude so a lip balm with high factor SPF is a good idea. (Alternatively, stay in the shady bars and drink plenty of alcohol Madeye-Smiley )
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand, which resorts do you go to? wink
ski holidays
I have even been badly burnt on my scalp through my hair in the area not covered by my hat (wear a helmet now) This may be more of a problem for those of us that are follicle challenged Laughing
latest report
kevinrhead, Mr DS has forgotten that he now has this problem, and rarely wears a hat - the contrast between his face which is liberally splurged with sun cream and his head, which is not, is quite marked. So the sun cream definitely works. Now the only problem is ensuring it is put on the right parts.

Remember to put cream on your ears if you aren't wearing a hat, too. The top of the ear gets burned easily. Back of neck is another place that can burn, even when you wear a helmet.
ski holidays
Does anyone knowof an effective non greasy non smelly high factor sun protection cream? I have no desire to go brown or get skin cancer, and I hate using the typical high factor stuff.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
Does anyone knowof an effective non greasy non smelly high factor sun protection cream? I have no desire to go brown or get skin cancer, and I hate using the typical high factor stuff.
Ultrasun (www.ultrasun.co.uk) - just apply in the morning and it lasts all day. The mountain formula is higher protection and quite thick, so acts as wind protection as well. Can't speak highly enough of this stuff. Not widely available, but some airport duty frees have it (LGW did a couple of weeks ago), but available mail order.

(I'm not in their pay, honest!)
ski holidays
richmond wrote:

Ego pharmaceuticals make a gel that is SPF 30+(cannot label higher in oz due to legal restriction)...

gel = non greasy (designed ofr beach use so sand no stick)...

Ego are a skin care company... minimal skin irritants used including perfumes - so non smelly

Sunsense is the sunscreen range name... gel is in green coloured bottle IIRC
snow report
Stevo wrote:
richmond wrote:
Ultrasun (www.ultrasun.co.uk) - just apply in the morning and it lasts all day. The mountain formula is higher protection and quite thick, so acts as wind protection as well. Can't speak highly enough of this stuff. Not widely available, but some airport duty frees have it (LGW did a couple of weeks ago), but available mail order.

Sorry but NO sunscreen is effective all day.... they need to be reapplied roughly every 2 hours for optimal protection and after any swimming also...
snow conditions
little tiger wrote:
Stevo wrote:
richmond wrote:

Sorry but NO sunscreen is effective all day.... they need to be reapplied roughly every 2 hours for optimal protection and after any swimming also...
Don't believe me, if you don't want to - as I said, I'm not in their pay. But it works. And in a different way to normal 'screens' - it's not a barrier, but is absorbed by the skin.

I'm quite fair (and thin on top) and I've never burned using this stuff, even when not reapplying after two hours snorkelling. It's great for sporting activities because, unlike normal suntan lotions, it doesn't sweat off into your eyes. It also means you don't have to carry it round with you all day.
latest report
minicat, Would you like a Norse God to come and rub in your sun cream ?
ski holidays
Stevo wrote:
little tiger wrote:
Stevo wrote:
richmond wrote:

Don't believe me, if you don't want to - as I said, I'm not in their pay. But it works. And in a different way to normal 'screens' - it's not a barrier, but is absorbed by the skin.

I'm quite fair (and thin on top) and I've never burned using this stuff, even when not reapplying after two hours snorkelling. It's great for sporting activities because, unlike normal suntan lotions, it doesn't sweat off into your eyes. It also means you don't have to carry it round with you all day.

test it out downunder! (ozone layer hole)

I have tested my sunscreen and application surfing in lanzarote... after 2 days all the red lobsters had shed the " 50+ waterproof" UK stuff that did not need reapplication and were using my Oz sunscreen that is labelled "30+ water resistant" and were learning to reapply as per the Oz anticancer guidelines, and had purchased hats!

I spend my Oz summer months treating sunburn.... funnily enough plenty of tourists swear they know the answer to sunscreen use.... until the fateful day... and it only takes ONE burn episode to cause the damage...

Likewise every northern hemisphere ski instructor that has insisted "i never burn" has sported a nice "glow" not long after....

Check out the Ego Uk site - and it has claims that would not be allowed in oz and do not appear on the Australian site.... the fine print still says "reapply every 2 hours" because they know that is the best advice...

I don't care what you do... personally I like my skin/lips/nose/ears.... so I'll stick by the guidelines as far as possible... and try to do the "slip,slop,slap"

OH - if this sunscreen is so revolutionary a link to the peer reviewed data would be nice...not the ad..
snow conditions
It sounds rather as though Ultrasun is using a similar formulation to another once a day product marketed as "P20". P20, IIRC, as it's some time since I looked into this uses a rather dated compound called PABA which does get absorbed into the ski. However, you need to be very careful to apply it evenly and it can stain light coloured clothes.

According to Wikipedia, "In the past, PABA has been widely used as UV filter in sunscreen formulations. However, it has been determined that it increases the formation of a particular DNA defect in human cells, thus increasing the risk of skin cancer in people who lack the mechanisms to repair these cellular defects."

Myself I favour Piz Buin "once a day" F30 but you do need to apply it at least twice a day I find in springtime...
ski holidays
Not sure what the active ingredient is in Ultrasun, but it is different to P20 (which I used to use and have burned with). Ultrasun filters UV A & B, whereas P20 only does one (can't remember which) and Ultrasun doesn't stain white clothes or strip the surface off metal-framed sunglasses (P20 is a bit scary!) You tan (burn?) much more quickly with P20.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy