Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy skis or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
petemillis, Laughing I agree with your original sentiment, but I just thought your examples were rubbish Wink I buy loads of stuff just for the hell of it, including skis. We all know there's no logical reason why poor old jonm should be buying skis at this stage, but he probably will anyway just for fun Wink

I seem to have had better luck than you with washing machines!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting back on the thread...

I started skiing this year and already bought all my gear. I got advice from ski instructor, ski shop and read and searched the web. I bought Salomon's Performa 8 and K2 Comanche 4 COM. Begginner to intermediate range but it is plenty for now.

My reasons to buy it: I can ski most weekends, it is 35 min drive from home, I like to have my own stuff and I think I'll get more confident If I ski with my skis (get to know them better), no more queues on hire shop, just lift pass and I'm skiing.

Like somethings in life they are not profitable, a "good buy" or an asset, most things in life are liabilities so this is just one more... If you think of an asset as something the puts money in your pocket that that is OK, a liability takes money from your pocket. In that sense a house, even in a buy-to-let arrangement can be either an asset or a liability...

The good thing about owing your own skis is that you actually own skis and can always hire to try different models if you wish as well...

No regrets here, go for it and off course invest in good tuiton!

Pedro
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonm, I went through exactly the same questions a couple of years ago. I found reading things like the Fall Line Skiing gear review, Snow and Rock catatlogue review and Ellis Brigham cataloge ski reviews etc. very useful...although you do need to look at at least two reviews as they don't always agree!
Then....best move ever as a beginner....went to the Ellis Brigham ski demo evening at Tamworth. You get to try out lots of the latest gear...most of which will be in the Fall line gear review too so you get a much better idea of what they're talking about. I remember being amazed after only about a week on the mountains (and loads of trips to Tamworth) to find that I could easily tell the difference between a soft and a stiff ski. The difference is bleedin' obvious when you've experienced it.
In my opinion flex or stiffness is as important than width and shape.
As a techy type I do like to have technical toys and eventually managed to get a great deal on a pair of Nordica Elliminators which are apparently aimed at advanced skier. The price means that I need to have three weeks on them before they cost the same as hiring.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I have a brand new Citroen C4

Some people just like shiny new gadgets, it's the only conceivable reason to buy a new car. That's fine, if it's your priority in life. But it's a waste of breath trying to put together a sober financial argument for doing so. Trouble is with skis, that the gadget men are only going to buy the very latest model. And next time they go on holiday it won't be the latest model..... Even bought cheaply in end of season sale, or ex demo (only way any of our 7 or 8 pairs of skis came into our possession) it doesn't make financial sense unless you ski more than a week or so a year. But if you've got the money, and spending £X on skis will give you more pleasure than spending £X on meals out, or a new kitchen (nobody needs one of those more than about once every 18 years either....), then go for it. Just don't pretend it's a grownup financial calculation!

Footnote: if we had bought new cars, or a new kitchen every ten years, we definitely wouldn't have been able to afford our apartment in the Alps and to retire early to ski all winter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Even bought cheaply in end of season sale, or ex demo (only way any of our 7 or 8 pairs of skis came into our possession) it doesn't make financial sense unless you ski more than a week or so a year. But if you've got the money, and spending £X on skis will give you more pleasure than spending £X on meals out, or a new kitchen (nobody needs one of those more than about once every 18 years either....), then go for it. Just don't pretend it's a grownup financial calculation!

In the last couple of weeks, I've seen new 2007 Fischer AMC 76s going for £145 (RRP £450) and 2007 Fischer RX 8s (RRP £465) going for £150 all up including postage from Ski-bilek / skiprofis on ebay. After one week's use, either of these would get £100+ when resold on ebay at the beginning of next season. That works out at around £45 "rental" for a brand new pair of high quality skis after only one week's use. Looks like a pretty grown up financial calculation to me!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jtr wrote:
pam w wrote:
Even bought cheaply in end of season sale, or ex demo (only way any of our 7 or 8 pairs of skis came into our possession) it doesn't make financial sense unless you ski more than a week or so a year. But if you've got the money, and spending £X on skis will give you more pleasure than spending £X on meals out, or a new kitchen (nobody needs one of those more than about once every 18 years either....), then go for it. Just don't pretend it's a grownup financial calculation!

In the last couple of weeks, I've seen new 2007 Fischer AMC 76s going for £145 (RRP £450) and 2007 Fischer RX 8s (RRP £465) going for £150 all up including postage from Ski-bilek / skiprofis on ebay. After one week's use, either of these would get £100+ when resold on ebay at the beginning of next season. That works out at around £45 "rental" for a brand new pair of high quality skis after only one week's use. Looks like a pretty grown up financial calculation to me!

I got my fischer AMC 79 for £120 plus £20 p&P, a price I was very happy with. Would I get £100 when sold at start of next season. Possibly but I am slightly more sceptical. I can only benchmark against a pair I bid on second hand with a few days skiing. bidding stopped at £82 with reserve not met. Still pretty much on a par with renting. some skis attract a lot of interest on ebay e.g B2s. Less well known makes in this country don't always attract teh multitude of bidders. I suspect I will be happy with my quiver of last years RX8s and the AMC 79 for some time to come wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dan100, I agree that some the well known brands command good ebay prices and using a pair of Rossis that I bought for my son in Jan 2006 from skiprofis, the costs worked out as purchase (all up) = £159; ebay sale proceeds (in Dec 2006, net of all selling costs) = £125; net cost for 1 week = £34. It is worth emphasising that these are one week costs. The "buy" case becomes more compelling if the skis are used for 2 or more weeks.

Like any financial case, the acquisition and the disposal/residual values need to be considered.

PS High reserve prices can be counter-productive. They seem to put people off rather than encouraging a biding competition. Not necessarily rational but it happens.

PPS I went for the RX 8s and my eldest son has the AMC 76s Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All depends on the deal, Shirley? At Slush & Rubble prices, a top end ski needs around 8 weeks' use (assuming a bit of service and airline carriage expense) to break even with the £500 it costs. If these 8 weeks are spread over 8 or 10 years, they will feel tatty and out of date (remember we all go on holiday for luxury and release). Who knows, in 10 years, 220cm might be the norm again!

But if either those 8 weeks are taken in 4 years, or you get a good deal on purchase, it swings the balance back in favour of ownership. And FWIW, I agree with agenterre about the stickers Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy