Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

alp d'huez

Poster: A snowHead
i went to adh today, i've looked for a thread on the place if i've missed it sorry but here is an update.

when we got there we were all a bit worried we'd done the wrong thing by coming. It looked really bare and the slopes on the other side of the gorge were very very brown.

however

it was snowing a blizzard up the top, we spent 3 hours not knowing where the piste was! it was hysterical. I have never suffered disorientation in white outs till today, you just didn't know what was going on. I thought i'd stopped riding went to sit down to find i was still mooving Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

the glacier was open and we got some lovely fresh trax up there, all be it very very slow as we just couldn't see the piste!

tommorrow will be a great off piste day i'm sure.

lower slopes were a bit of a mess but they are still rideable, quite slushy as it was raining in resort.

If your off to ADH dont panic i think you'll have a great time if your prepared to make the most of what you got.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tomorrow may not be such as a good day for off piste sliding if there are blizzards currently as that will probably mean serious avalanche risks tomorrow especially if there wind is blowing. However, sounds great to finally have the new snow! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it was very windy up there, at one point we went down the left hand side of the glacier and we had to stop to hide from the snow. I even got blinded by a bit while trying to see with no goggles.

Your probably right about tomorrow, either way i wont be there, but some lucky sod will be there when they do open it all!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowangel., Glad you had a good time. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow was probably very good high up yesterday; unfortunately no-one could get to it as the DMC & Marmottes gondolas were shut most of the day because of the wind! DMC did open for about 10 mins just before midday, to build all our hopes up, only to shut again almost immediately. Marmottes finally opened at about 3pm, although only to the first station, with the DMC finally following suit just before 4pm.

I'm sure there will be plenty of good skiing higher up this week, as long as the wind doesn't stop you getting up to it! Just as well really, as the runs into and below the resort were in very poor shape by yesterday afternoon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from Alpe d'Huez today as well. Conditions close to the resort got very slushy from Thursday when it rained all day, but this was snow up top. Was good for skiing on but had to proceed with caution as could only see about 10-15 metres in front of yourself.
Yesterday as said the Gondola's were closed due to high winds, but we did manage to get to 2700 when the DMC opened briefly before lunchtime and with the fresh snow it was great for skiing on.

Some great runs to do down to Oz, although they were hard work on Thursday as at that height they were getting rain and it turned very slushy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MhicEasmuint, thurs was great fun, even though i'm now nursing a cracked rib due to major edge catch and superman to face plant!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

MhicEasmuint, thurs was great fun, even though i'm now nursing a cracked rib due to major edge catch and superman to face plant!!!

Yeah it was deadly craic, there was 5 or 6 of us up and i was at the front and the only way u could tell where you were going was when you seen the red poles at the sides of the pistes.

On going further down the mountain, we got split up by a couple of lads going down the wrong slope, then when we tried to meet them me and another lad ened up going down a red with massive moguls, the one u can see from the top DMC lift, which had thin snow cover and was real icy. I can easily say this is the hardest slope I have ever been down.

Luckily no injuries myself but from my group of 24 one lad has suspected broken thumb and other has suspected broken ribs and couple of other lads with scrapes to faces.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Help, any posts with ADH conditions? For a big resort, very few Snowheads seem to report on conditions there. I'm off in two weeks and praying for it to stay cold after all this snow. Fingers crossed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sproggski, i'll ask around serre che and see if anyones done a day trip recently, but it wont be a propper report as i dont trust reports from my mates as they often say its sh*t when its not!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The SCGB rep's report is pretty good:

Quote:
Piste Information
On piste: Excellent
Off piste: Powder
Resort runs: Excellent

Reps Comments
Snowing, snowing, snowing! All that's needed is better visibility to make it perfect.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles wrote:

Quote:
Piste Information

Reps Comments
Snowing, snowing, snowing! All that's needed is better visibility to make it perfect.

Hmmm, this is what my mum would call "over egging the yoke". I spoke to, Stephen Wild, the Ski Club rep today in alpe d'Huez, who seems a thoroughly pleasant and measured chap and we pretty much agreed about the conditions being like the "curate's egg", good in parts.

We didn't ski above 2500m as the slopes were closed at that altitude.

Here is my take.

Yesterday there was around 5cm of fresh snow and today it probably snowed 15cm giving around 20-25cm of very much needed fresh. This picture, from the col du Cluy would probably please the ski club's snow reporter.

The Cluy, a black run, is closed. We found out why. A couple of turns later and what had been a fairly good, if rutted base, turned into rocks and grass. If they bash this run then it snows it will make a nice piste but for now respect the "piste closed" signs. As the Cluy turned into the Sarenne valley we refound a base and conditions were, for a brief 100 vertical meters, perfect. The slopes looked a bit bare and ropey on the Signal de l'Homme and we didn't bother skiing them.

This shows the the Alpette piste down to Oz. To be honest it is about the best I remember seeing it. 15cm of fresh snow on an icy base but very pleasant to ski.

and this is a general view of Oz

taken at 16h00. Again it looks okay but the run down was pretty rutted and icy below a layer of mashed up fresh snow. However I didn't see any rocks on piste anywhere.

Stray more than a couple of cm to the side of the pistes below 2000m

and this is what is underneath - grass and rocks. Villard Reculas was not very good. Oz mediocre but good skiing all the way down to Vaujany at 1250 m which was about the snowline today.

So a much much needed dump of snow. If you are going to l'alpe d'Huez to ski the classic off piste runs like the Perrins, Agnelin etc forget it unless we get a meter of snow. The Perrins bowl was rock and ice and unskiable at the moment. I was surprised just how bad the off-piste was in general. Things may be better of the back of the Pic Blanc but locals warned that the lower parts of these slopes were "rocky". There is some limited to the side of piste skiing above 2000m although I think we tracked it out today.

On piste, you have fresh powder on hardpack and icy snow. The main resort slopes were very busy as were the usual pinch points down to Oz and Vaujany. We didn't see anyone on the Cluy Laughing By and large what I would assume were intermediate skiers were taking things very gingerly, you needed good edges whenever you hit ice patches. Once it is all bashed down and gets a bit of sun on it this should make for some good cruising runs.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for that. Detailed, informative & balanced. I`m sure they could find a place for you at the SCGB.

I`m off tomorrow. Was supposed to go today but Luton `International` ground to a halt after 4 inches of snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:

Quote:
Piste Information

Reps Comments

Skied some of Alp D Tuesday/Wednesday this week.

It snowed a little Tuesday afternoon, about 2cm, & started snowing lunch time Wednesday (i left mid afternoon so not sure how much)

The conditions on piste were pretty ropey with rocks /grass showing through.Grass could be seen on all the slopes around the resort. The drag lifts had bare patches in places which did wonders for your bases.

Didn't venture off piste as i didn't want to ruin my skis.

Not really sure where the SCGB rep skied but not in the same places as me.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward wrote:
................Skied some of Alp D Tuesday/Wednesday this week..................

...........Not really sure where the SCGB rep skied but not in the same places as me.

Puzzled

The rep's report was on Thursdsay.
ski holidays
stewart woodward, You were there just before the snow came - but why not pop over here and say hello? I'm officiallly offended! Sad

Don't know what it's like there now, but it must be like here (but with all those southfacing village slopes), and be seimming in the stuff. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
stewart woodward, You were there just before the snow came - but why not pop over here and say hello? I'm officiallly offended! Sad

Sorry didn't have time. Done 1150 miles in last 4 days & only skied for 10 hours.

Lots of bare slopes around europe. Hopefully will improve this weekend
snow conditions
update 22/03/07

Went for a day trip today, and what a great day to pick for it! We got there to see at least half a foot in resort and foot up higher.
Fair bit of off piste, vision got a bit bad but improved to then go to pieces as it started snowing again! Off piste was good, piste was excellent.

If your off to adh in the coming weeks, good choice of resorts, enjoy!±
latest report
Arrived home last night after a great 1o days skiing the ADH area from our base in Oz. Conditions are generally good if you pick the right times/pistes with anything under 2000m turning slushy by early afternoon and the higher skiing very icy until around mid day. The Tunnel was being opened after 1.30 and was very busy as were the slopes around the glacier but still plenty of snow up there. The Sarenne is now closed due to lack of snow on the valley run-out but with a guide the Combe De Loup route including the wonderful Refuge de Sarenne is open. The Col De Cluy was good but getting very thin at the bottom.

Plenty of snow cover for 'just off piste' excursions around the higher slopes once the snow had softened up (assuming you know where to avoid snow bridges over streams etc!). Runs down to Villard Reculas are now mostly closed and Auris starting to look very brown, La Fare to Vaujany includes a walk to the lift at the end but generally conditions should still be great for anyone going out for an end of season trip - pack the sun cream!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy