Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many layers do you wear when on the mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Not been a ski holiday for years - this'll be the first since i left school!

When i go biking i normally just have a base layer (merino or synthetic) and either a waterproof or windproof over that.

Will i get away with this on the mountain or would a base layer, mid layer and outer shell (soft or hard) be the way to go. I know i'll soon find out when i get there, but i'd be interested to hear what other folk wear.

cheers, Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on where you go and when - i.e. what will the temps be like.

I will take 3 layers with me, but normally only wear a mid & outer. I'll wear a base if it drops below about -15C
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At the moment probably just a t-shirt!

Normally wear thermals, thin micro fleece & jacket. If its extra cold I might add another thin layer.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy wrote:

Normally wear thermals, thin micro fleece & jacket. If its extra cold I might add another thin layer.

Make sure it's a long T-Shirt or your knees and other bits will get cold on the T-bar.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Base layer and an outer jacket to begin with. Mid layer in the pack in case it gets cold.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
cathy wrote:

Make sure it's a long T-Shirt or your knees and other bits will get cold on the T-bar.

Good point - I'll bear that in mind
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It also depends on whether your jacket has any insulation or is just a shell.

I prefer shells so normally wear a thin wicking base layer and a mid-layer such as a micro-fleece or something a bit heavier if it's very cold. A face/neck warmer is also handy if the temperature drops and won't take up much room in a pocket.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm with the others - thin base layer (Musto stuff gets my vote as is well priced, doesn't get smelly, is used on boats and works well), then microfibre fleece mid (or slightly thicker fleece if really cold) then shell jacket. Bottom half is underpants, thin Musto LJs and my thinly insulated ski trousers.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevec wrote:
Base layer and an outer jacket to begin with. Mid layer in the pack in case it gets cold.

concur
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
professorpool wrote:
stevec wrote:

concur

Ditto, & being a sweaty booger my outer jacket is just a shell. I wear a back protector & the waist band around the kidneys is like wearing another layer. Helmet & decent gloves also keep me warm.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Micorfleece, and then Fleece 200 and hardshell for temps down to around -15. If I am too warm in the lift going up, I will be too warm once I get going, higher up.

My hardshell is warmer than say, my paklite and is comparable with my softshell, but the latter isn't so weatherproof if you have to batten down all the hatches.
I have contiingencies in the pack.

Below -15 and I'll use an Icebreaker base.

I'll take 3 top shells, two mids per trip, and mix and match as per conditions. It took a while to work out the most appropraite permutations
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For me its always a base layer and outer jacket (just shell). Mid layer depends on how cold it is; above 0 nothing, up to -5 gillet type fleece or micro fleece, -5 to -15 both plus neck warmer, anything colder i stay in bed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to be a derr-brain, but is this because you work up such a sweat? Only I've been wearing a vest top, micro-fleece and shell (sailing jacket) in Britain this week and it hasn't dropped below 8 degrees! Or am I just nesh?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clara_jo, Burning energy at altitude is a lot 'hotter' than just bumming around flatland UK. And at altitude the sun's a lot nearer wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snooks are pretty good to have but I find the thinner snooks a bit weedy because they let the wind through and would recommend something lined thats windproof and fleecy on the inside if you can find it. I find scarves a bit of a faff as they always want to jump out when you open your jacket and need rearranging.
snow report
I've got one of those Buff things with fleece at one end and the thin stuff at the other end. no end of hats, neckwarmer, balaclava permutations with it Very Happy

So, i should be ok taking two jackets with me and a few base/mid layers to mix and match. I managed to get a couple of merino baselayer tops from craghoppers.com in their sale and a patagonia mid layer thing from tk maxx. for my legs i've got my howies merino leggings that i use when biking in really cold conditions to wear under my goretex ski pants. Should be sorted i think.

Cheers for the replies everyone Very Happy
latest report
clara_jo, as spyderjon says there is a huge diff between walking about and skiing at altitude. I wear more layers walking around the resort lets say at 1700 meters then skiing at 3000+ meters.
snow conditions
makes a difference how high you ski pants/bibs go too

by the way, I find that a neck gaiter makes a massive difference to warmth - equivalent to throwing on a light fleece and much less bulky (only matters if you are not carrying a pack)
ski holidays
It depends on how cold it is but in canada when I was there in Jan 2000 I wore 2 base layers (helly, lowe alpine arctic weight, patagucci etc) a polartec 300 fleece and a goretex, Long johns, mountain equipment ultra fleece trousers and goretex pants all I can remember is being freezing Embarassed

but in Les Arcs the other year I wore a nike dri fit vest and goretex pants and carried some spare layers in a back pack - it just depends on how cold it is
snow conditions
PP, thanks for that - I was starting to worry that I wasn't going to have enough kit. I've always skied in mid-March before now, in bright sunshine, and a friend I was with one time said "Right, that's it, I'm never skiing in January again" (by which she meant skiing in bitterly cold weather). Well, if I get cold, I'll just have to ski harder, nothing else for it Wink
snow report
The only time I've ever felt cold is on a long lift in high winds. Generally I wear a thermal T coupled with a shell or even a light pertex top. Very bad conditions eg >-10 and windy, I'll pop another layer or two on, or wear a pertex/pile top (eg buffalo/montaine) under the shell. I do tend to keep a fleece top in a small rucksack though in all conditions - it can come in handy if you decide to go high for the last big run down. Most of my kit is general mountain wear rather than ski specific.
snow conditions
Usually thermals, micro fleece - hooded one that doubles as a second/alternative hat, neck gaiter - either on or in the rucksack, jacket plus a fleece gilet if it's a bit colder. If I need much more than this, you'll probably find me in the restaurant with a vin chaud. ( I know, I'm a wimp)
snow conditions
Right at the moment a bikini might be best bet.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Right at the moment a bikini might be best bet.

A bikini? Today you'd have been OK with just a layer of sunscreen! It got to +10° at lunchtime in Arc 1800.
snow report
i wear a scarf tied round my waist !
snow report
Scarpa, quote The only time I've ever felt cold is on a long lift in high winds.

I agree. If it's sleeting with high winds I find my hands and face start to get very cold on long exposed lifts. However, as soon as I'm skiing again I'm as warm as toast. In these conditions I suppose you need to carry additional bits of clothing for periods of inactivity.
snow conditions
Scooter, The Lowe Alpine mountain cap is absolutely superb, wire peak, very warm, waterproof and breathable. I also have a pair of mountaineering overmitts in goretex that I can pull on over my gloves. Hi-grip palms and really can make a difference. Oh - and they pack down small and weigh very little. If I'm going anywhere remote where I may get caught out overnight a down duvet jacket in a stuffsack makes its way into my pack.
latest report
Scarpa, Saw you mention a stuff sack - even when I first went to a ski resort 10 years ago I realised that stuff sacks were the way to pack these bulky ski clothes, I've been stuff sacking things this weekend ready for proper packing over the next couple of weeks - aren't they just brill for this? I can fit a whole outfit - salopettes, jacket, socks, hat and gloves for an adult in a single stuff sack - and then you know where everything is when you get there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, An old one is great for dirty laundry as well. You can get them with compression straps to really squash the clothing up. Great idea for keeping the whole outfit together btw.
snow conditions
Do you mean a stuff sack, as in the same kind of thing that a sleeping bag comes in?
ski holidays
I'm packing my bulky clothes in those vacuum bags that you just roll the air out of and then chucking them in my kit bag. Seem to be doing ok for space at the mo (fingers crossed).
snow conditions
I swear by the Patra silk thermals, warm when cold and don't keep generating heat when you're in the warm. So I usually wear silks long-johns and vest, a long-sleeved roll-neck with a slightly fluffy inside, a fleece and ski jacket. The only temperature-related variations tend to be thickness of fleece and the addition of a Buff or balaclava, glove liners and boot heaters. But then I'm a fairly chilly mortal and would always rather be too warm than too cold. With that clothing I don't tend to feel the cold on lifts until it's cold enough for the ends of my hair to freeze
ski holidays
shoogly, Those are the ones - the versions with built in compression straps are the best Cool
snow conditions
Can everyone posting here please quote their BMI and age & sex? It'll help inform the reasons for layer choices! Toofy Grin

ps photographic evidence is acceptable wink
snow report
slikedges, My waist is 48 inches, my peanut is like a pint only smaller and my pubic hair requires 16 compression straps to keep it in check. What should I wear in the sauna?
ski holidays
Scarpa, a small 4 person tent (with canopy flap)? wink
snow conditions
slikedges, If you suggest that the flap is at the back I'll run Shocked
snow conditions
Scarpa, don't worry, with that image you portrayed, you won't find me anywhere nearby Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

my peanut is like a pint only smaller

Scarpa, Did you get that the right way round!!
snow conditions
Megamum, I was going to make a joke about coming out of my shell Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy