Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble Airport v. Geneva Airport

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a nice little problem to ask your opinion's on Toofy Grin

In March I have a choice of flights, From Bournemouth to Geneva or Bristol to Grenoble.

(With car parking at B'mth being cheaper than Bristol Toofy Grin the flight and car hire is much the same price.)

Does anyone have any advice to offer, Geneva or Grenoble? (Going to Montalbert La Plagne) Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin, I THINK (don't jump on me if I'm wrong...) that Grenoble is better/closer for La Plagne than Geneva....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, a tricky call i think and probably depends on your travelling time to airport in uk?

bournemouth is a good airport to fly from in the uk with as you say cheap parking - the long stay car park is mmmm all of 2 mins walk to the terminal as far as i remember! GVA seems to be ok as long as you arent there on a sat in peak season so i reckon you'll be ok in march

after nearly missing a flight from Bristol airport as i didnt realise it was actually no where near bristol the city i havent been back there since! having said that grenoble to montalbert will be a quicker drive than gva to montalbert wont it?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just did grenoble at new year - it's a very busy airport but teeny-tiny - it has one bar/restaraunt which is self service so don't expect a nice sexy airport!

Depends on the resort you are going to and how you are planning to get there.

Anywhere in the isere region has a bus that goes from grenoble airport to the resorts. anywhere else is a real pain. i went to morzine/portes du soleil and i had to get a train from downdown grenbole to geneva then back to morzine - don't do it!!

Basically it's really good for baggage reclaim - it's practically offloaded and onto the carriage as you are stepping off the plane.

it's also good for transfers to local resorts and cheap prices.

it's bad for - waiting in, transfers anywhere other than the named resports and well timed flights.

hope this helps! - i know for a fact i'll never fly to grenoble again if i can help it - but that's more because it was a pain to get from edinburgh to prestwick!!

cheers
sarah
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Although as the crow flies Grenoble is closer, the path of the Autoroutes mean driving distances to the Alps are broadly similar. You can get an exact idea from http://maps.google.co.uk - it covers most of Europe now (don't be fooled by the front page image of the UK). I used this in deciding Grenoble, Lyon or Geneva for the EoSB (Val Thorens) - there's about 20 km in it.

So Grenoble (aeroport de st geoirs) to Montalbert La Plagne - 177km (2hr 44m)
Geneva (GVA) to same - 145km (2hr 49m)

Sounds similar except Geneva will be closer for you but slightly longer (less motorway)

Hope this helps
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
checkin at grenoble on a saturday morning on the way back is hell on earth. Good place to fly in to- good transfer to courchevel no more than 2.5 hours by coach. we were skinng by 1230 on the flight in. 0600 from gatwick and skiing by 1300/1330
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TallTone, Thank you Very Happy Also have had a good offer on car parking at B'mth from a friend which is also our 2nd nearest airport (Southampton is closer but FlyBe > Chambery £££!) so it looks like Bmth > GVA just the car hire to sort out Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, why not try self-drive from the UK for a change wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having flown in and out of both airports, GVA wins hands down. For me a speedy check in, relaxed lounge and a sense that the airport can cope with the number of visitors (Grenoble was chaos!) are the important things, you do not need a stressy, messy, packed check in with hundreds of equally hacked off people.

I accept that my experience of GVA was flying scheduled with BA, but after experiencing Grenoble for the first time this season........
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro wrote:
boredsurfin, why not try self-drive from the UK for a change wink

Because March might be the one month it's cheaper to fly/hire than self drive Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy