Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding ramp angle or delta angle problem. Help!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have just purchased some new bindings for my old rock skis as it looks like i may need them in soldeu. They were very cheap Tyrolia sl100. Now fitted to skis, put boot in and the ramp angle looks massive. Have done some measuring and it seems to be a difference of 8.5mm between toe and heel. I only have 284mm length boots so this seems to have a large effect and my boots also have a reasonably aggressive forward lean.

My usual skis are Dynastar legend 8000 with look px12 bindings measuring the ramp on them the difference between the boot and heel is 4.5mm. I seem to get on well with rossi and look pivot bindings, and also seem to get on well with my marker LT bindings on my old volkl supersports 4 stars, (now gone, so i can't measure them) that searching in archives on here seem also to have a high ramp angle?

my measuring could be 0.5mm out either way, as tyrolia in the manual i have found state heel height 21mm and toe height 12mm for the sl100.

I have some ptex sheet that would do as a sort of shim under the toe, problem is two sheets of it is 2.5mm thick and then would the screws be ok. I go this weekend, and there are no ski shops where I live, so its DIY. I have proper binding screw glue and the correct screwdriver!

Or do i just give up and use them, or try to buy some tyrolia sl110 carve that will fit in the same holes and have a difference of 3.5mm between toe and heel. I don't think I could try to fit any more bindings as the skis are like swiss cheese.

Need some help................
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carroz, I'd suggest you ski them first!

I have Tyrollia FF14 on on pair of skis and Rossi Axial 110 and 120 on the other pairs. I don't really notice the difference. Let me check, I might be able to find the figures for the bindings...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, try fitting them back to front, that may centre you a bit more... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I not very good yet at going backwards, my daughter gets very cross with me when i do it!

Looking in my copy of the tyrolia manual the freeflex plus 14 has heel of 21mm and toe of 17.5mm, so a difference of 3.5mm.

These sl100 don't have the abs roller antifriction device, just a teflon strip, hence they are a lower height toe i assume, less gubbins.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz wrote:

I have some ptex sheet that would do as a sort of shim under the toe, problem is two sheets of it is 2.5mm thick and then would the screws be ok.

No. You need longer screws to do that.

PS if you ski bumps you'll know almost instantly whether the ramp angle is too much as you'll be straining against the back cuff to extend the legs down into the trough.

PPS today's counterintuitive concept: toe lift outside the boot mimics the effect of heel lift inside the boot. Ski the bindings as they are and try again with a trail map's worth of heel lift if you notice problems like much more sore quads.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, i will try the lift, only problem may be my boots have absolutely no room in them for any sort of lift, but will give it a try.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, The delta angles for Look/Rossi & Marker are the same at + 5mm, the highest on the market - & consistent with your measuring. BTW, Fischer/Tyrolia's are listed as +3mm with Salomon & Atomic at +2mm.

I'm not familiar with the sl100's but could you missing a riser plate for the toe piece? Is there a plate on the heel pieces that can be removed?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderjon I thought that something was missing, which is why i downloaded the Tyrolia manual. The binding is very low spec, its the one at the bottom of this picture http://www.tyrolia.com/index.php?id=superlight_bindings

It seems to be missing the abs system of the others and just has a teflon strip so the toe height is lower. The others have a toe height of 17.5mm, with the same heel of 21mm. Nothing can come off them that tyrolia have not already taken off, they are very light and that is about it. I think it may be an "idea" by tyrolia to try to tip beginners forward by having this ramp?

I think i am going to have to put the spare pair of look pivots i have on them, worked out that mounting them 1/2cm forward missed all the holes! and put this down to a mistake. Moral don't buy cheap kit until you can see it will work!

Thanks for everyones advice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carroz, I see what you mean. That toe piece is pretty low profile. Maybe it's to reduce air resistance wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy