Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pronounciation

Poster: A snowHead
This seems to be the very forum for this question - Having English, a little French, even less German and a Swiss friend with a strong accent I am now confused - is it pronounced Peeste (as in green vegetable peas) or pist as in Fist?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's pronounced 'trail' as in tomato.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, rhymes with "yeast". snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
laundryman, thanks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, I don't do Glorious Days of Colour for nothing! wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah well, y'see, it depends in what language. English tends to pronounce it as in the French rhyiming with yeast, but German shortens the i to rhyme with fist
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a thought laundryman, whenever you get a tricky one stick it in as the first line and see what gets posted as a rhyme to it. Brilliant thinking Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As in p.......... as a newt!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interestingly, it's pronounced 'pronunciation', but then it's spelt 'pronunciation', so it's not that suprising really.

I pronounce 'piste' more or less to rhyme with 'beast', although no doubt one of our good French speakers will give us a more subtle pronunciation guide (I suspect that the 'i' is shorter than the 'ea' in 'beast' but longer than the 'i' in pissed').
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
while we're on the subject, how might one promounce Verbier?

Ver bee ay ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
element, that's how I'd say it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks FenlandSkier, my rudimentary knowledge of Switzerland includes that they speak a couple of different languages and I didn't know if it was pronounced as the French might, or the Germans would etc.

That saves me having to mumble it in esteemed company Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right now it's actually pronounced "Mountain Bike Trail"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, how about Livigno?

I it's "live een yo" - am i even half correct?!?!?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevec wrote:
Ok, how about Livigno?

I it's "live een yo" - am i even half correct?!?!?
Depends if that's 'live' as in 'Liverpool' or 'live' as in 'Liver Bird'

I'd say the former.
ski holidays
element wrote:
while we're on the subject, how might one promounce Verbier?

Ver bee ay ?

FenlandSkier wrote:
element, that's how I'd say it.
I've always thought it was 'Vair bee ay'
ski holidays
eng_ch, That explains why my mate Eva (who's Swiss pronounces it to me to rhyme with fist). Mind you she's a whizz with languages - chat's to me in English (that's good enough for her to 'think' in it too), Speaks German, Swiss German, some of the Swiss German dialects, tonnes more French than I do, Enough Italian to get by and fluent Hungarian - Next time I get her on the Phone I'll ask about Verbier for youelement,
snow report
Megamum,
Quote:
is it pronounced Peeste (as in green vegetable peas) or pist as in Fist?

Neither. it's pronounced "i t" with the "i" and the "t" both being short sharp sounds.
latest report
Megamum, NickB is (imo) right about the pronunciation of Verbier.

petemillis, you can go off some people Laughing
snow conditions
Next time your on a Swiss or German Flight ask or listen to the Pilot how he says Runway in Swiss German or German Very Happy
latest report
How about Val Thorens? Torrawnce??
snow report
pam w wrote:
Vee Tee Wink

I wouldn't pronounce the 's' - Val Torron or Val Torren

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 18-01-07 16:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
pam w, don't think the 's' on the end should be pronounced so torrawn, with a proper back of the mouth french 'r' and nasal 'n'.

Think element is right about Verbier, if it was "vair" at the start it would be Vérbier, no ?

Although the accents of the locals in Valais can make French sound fairly strange at times, so it might be a local thing ?
ski holidays
brian wrote:
Think element is right about Verbier, if it was "vair" at the start it would be Vérbier, no ?
Wouldn't that make it 'Vayr bee ay'? I'm saying it like 'la mer'
snow report
brian, no I don't think it would have an accent because the r belongs to the first syllable, not the start of the second. Moreover ver and vé are 2 different sounds Smile
snow report
NickB, perzackerly
snow report
brian wrote:
Although the accents of the locals in Valais can make French sound fairly strange at times, so it might be a local thing ?

It's probably the equivalent of a Brizzle twang Wink
snow conditions
eng_ch wrote:
It's probably the equivalent of a Brizzle twang Wink
It's 'Gert Lush' it is.
latest report
 brian
brian
NickB wrote:
brian wrote:
Wouldn't that make it 'Vayr bee ay'? I'm saying it like 'la mer'

I'm confused now, Shirley "vair" and "vayr" are the same ? Puzzled As in air, lair, pair, hair, chair ?

I'm saying it like "la mer*" as well, so at least that's alright wink

* to rhyme with per, Cher, Herr ...
snow report
The acute accent over the 'e' makes it sound as in 'day' or 'hay'

As in 'Je suis désolée'
latest report
 brian
brian
NickB, I know but Verbier doesn't have one !
snow report
brian, and doesn't need one for the "air" sound. AN accent would change the whole pronunciation (and in fact I don't think it would be pronounceable anyway)
snow conditions
Vairb yay Smile
Vair bee ay Smile

but not verr beer Sad
ski holidays
NickB wrote:
pam w wrote:
Vee Tee Wink

I could be wrong but I think the locals do pronounce the s. If it were near Paris of course they wouldn't, but down in the south and south east they still tend to pronounce final consonants (as they did everywhere in Mediaeval times - in fact all letters were pronounced in French then).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 18-01-07 17:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 brian
brian
eng_ch, disagree. Apart from the end of a word (as in numerous verb infinitives), "er" is pronounced as in "mer", "herbe", "vert", etc. Isn't it ? (unless it's got an acute).
ski holidays
brian, where's the disagreement? Maybe it's just that I'm reading what element wrote as and English "ver" as in "verb" or "over" and it ain't Smile As I said, you don't need an acute accent to achieve the "air" sound which your post further up suggest it did
latest report
 brian
brian
eng_ch, dunno. I'm thinking it's most likely we've got the same French pronounciation but different English ones. Whereabouts in eng are you from and how do they pronounce "air" ? Laughing

A Scots "air" would definitely require an acute !
snow report
A belfast "air" would sound as "ur" so i was guessing it was vur bee ay.

So ill go for vair bee ay Smile

thanks for clearing that up Smile
ski holidays
brian, home counties I'm afraid. Was thinking much the same myself
ski holidays
Quote:

NickB wrote:
pam w wrote:
Vee Tee

I could be wrong but I think the locals do pronounce the s. If it were near Paris of course they wouldn't, but down in the south and south east they still tend to pronounce final consonants (as they did everywhere in Mediaeval times - in fact all letters were pronounced in French then).

Oh yes, they definitely pronounce the "s". That's why I asked, because I know it's not pronounced the obvious way (which would be to rhyme with Laurent) but wasn't quite sure about how it WAS pronounced.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy